Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a subject which has interested me for a while now and while doing a bit of reading i find it's still a little bit murky as both teams have pros and cons, plus depending on the supporter you usually get a biased opinion.

So the common story is that Lazio were the first original team and that Roma were manufactured by politicians (Point to Lazio) however it's also said that Romas fan base were mainly poor working class as opposed to the suburbian wealthier Laziali (big point to Roma)

Politically Lazio Right to Roma's left (personally point to Lazio)
All the best Romans tend to not only play for Roma but never leave (point to Roma)

So what are everyone elses opinion Roma or Lazio and why

·
Registered
45,352 Posts
There is no "team of the people" in Italian pro football, so if you are looking for it in Italian pro football you are going the wrong way, I can tell you it for sure. :D
You can choose one between Roma and Lazio by following your heart. If your heart tells you nothing probably none of them is the right club for you to support.

·
Registered
16,825 Posts
This is an interesting opening post though. Good question, I sometimes wondered the same thing too (for other cities too) and you lay down the opposing points quite well.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I say Roma because when you visit Rome AS Roma is the club which appears everywhere in terms of colours, stores and general presence, while Lazio is inconspicuous.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I say Roma because when you visit Rome AS Roma is the club which appears everywhere in terms of colours, stores and general presence, while Lazio is inconspicuous.
I remember when Lazio won their last Scudetto the Police reported that around 100k was out on the streets celebrating.

When Roma won, Police estimated that there was between 1-1.5 million people celebrating.

·
Registered
14,067 Posts
Politically Lazio Right to Roma's left (personally point to Lazio)
That's a common myth, that Roma is somehow leftist. For sure, more leftist Romans support Roma than Lazio. But most Roma ultra groups are nowadays right wing, many of them far right. Politically, both clubs are on the right, although Lazio moreso.

Roma was originally a political tool but there's no denying it quickly became the team of the masses and has remained so. People moving to Rome tend to pick Roma and after the foundation of that club loads of people have moved to the city. Unless you're from a Laziale family, supporting Lazio is to go against the grain.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what was the Anne Frank stuff all about? Is there a big jewish Roma following like Spurs?

So at the time of conception, how many true Romans Hopped on the Roma bandwagon and how many were made up from outsiders moving to Rome?

·
Registered
14,067 Posts
So what was the Anne Frank stuff all about? Is there a big jewish Roma following like Spurs?

So at the time of conception, how many true Romans Hopped on the Roma bandwagon and how many were made up from outsiders moving to Rome?
Roma was a merger club, so they got the fans of those teams. Right from the start, they were well supported.

The jewish Roma support is nothing like with Spurs, but obviously most Roman jews do support Roma. That stuff is banter in bad taste exactly because of that: it's supposed to insult Roma fans, the majority of whom do not want to be associated with a jewish identity. It's totally unlike the situation at Spurs and Ajax, where only a very small minority is also jewish, but they have turned the insults into a weird pseudo-jew identity. Roma has way too big a fascist following for a jewish identity like that to ermerge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts