Xtratime Community banner

Lazio sign Rivaldo for 99billion lira

803 views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  jani 
G
#1 ·
Rome team Lazio have signed Brazilian Rivaldo from Spain's Barcelona for 99 billion lire ($48.4 million), Italy's Gazzetta dello Sport said on Thursday.
The paper said Lazio Chairman Sergio Cragnotti had sealed the deal but had agreed not to make it public immediately.
"It is probable that Barcelona will deny it today, but by now it's a done deal," the paper said.
It added that Lazio would be selling several players to help finance the purchase.

#2 ·
lazio got a lot of money,thats true
but i hope the exchange the was talking about not is true.it's enough that rivaldo is the most expensive player ever,not a stupid exchange too,with 4 lazio players to barca.

#3 ·
First of all I want to see this confirmed.

Second if it's true it once again shows the complete arrogance and stupidity of Lazio. No time to build a team just buy it. This way many huge talents are lost. The most sad examploe is the brillant stankovic, but also the best palyer in the world, veron, has lost a lot of is talent in Lazio. Will this be the case with Rivaldo? I think it will.

Third even if they buy him, next year they won't win a price either. In football you need a team and that's something else than 11 star-players

------------------
Always trying to be modest. And damn proud of it!

#5 ·
First of all I got a feeling this deal is just a load of bull.
Secondly, if its true Lazio will definitly not gain from it. Sure they get a very good player. BUT i've heard they then give up Almeyda and Stankovic. Almeyda is the heart of Lazio and Stankovic is just awesome. Also, as you say, how will Veron like being No 2. I dont think he will like it one bit!
I agree completely with gOD, if thid deal goes through, Lazio will win nothing for sure next season.

------------------
SEMPRE VIOLA!

G
#6 ·
It turned out to be what most of you proclaimed as a load of bull, hey, I didn't make this up you know.
I picked this up at the dailysoccer, must of you must have read it already.

Italian Serie A soccer club Lazio
on Thursday denied reports they had signed Barcelona's Brazilian
striker Rivaldo for 99 billion lire ($48 million).
"There is no basis to the reports. Neither President Sergio
Cragnotti, nor other officials, have ever had meetings or
contacts with the Catalan club regarding the transfer of
Rivaldo," Lazio said in a statement.
It also denied there had been talks to swap Rivaldo, the
World and European player of the year, for another player.
Gazzetta dello Sport reported earlier that Cragnotti had
sealed the deal but agreed not to make it public immediately.
"It is probable that Barcelona will deny it today but by now
it's a done deal," the paper said.
It added that Lazio would be selling several players to help
finance the purchase, including Croatian striker Alen Boksic,
Chilean striker Marcelo Salas, Argentine midfielder Matias
Almeyda and Yugoslav midfielder Dejan Stankovic.
Rivaldo helped Barcelona to a thrilling 5-1 victory over
Chelsea and a place in the Champions League semifinals this week
with two goals, including a penalty in extra time.
Rivaldo's name has been linked in the past with outgoing
European Champions Manchester United but said if he left
Barcelona it would be to join an Italian team. He has a contract
with the Spanish club until 2003.
Rivaldo, who celebrated his 28th birthday on Wednesday, has
had a series of problems with Barcelona this season, his third
at the Nou Camp.
Trouble flared back in August when stories began circulating
that Manchester United were preparing a bid to make him the most
expensive player in the world amid speculation that his agent
was trying to negotiate an improved contract for him.
Barcelona had a more serious problem on their hands in
December when Rivaldo, newly crowned European Player of the
Year, said he did not want to play on the left wing in Louis van
Gaal's rigid 4-3-3 playing system.
The Brazilian was immediately dropped for two games,
returning only after he apologised in public to the coach and
his team-mates.
Since then, Rivaldo's form has flickered between the
brilliant and merely average, mirroring the erratic form of the
team as a whole in a wildly inconsistent season.
He is Barcelona's top scorer in the Champions League with 10
goals, including his two against Chelsea.
He played that game in the position he has always wanted at
Barca, as a central midfielder operating just behind striker
Patrick Kluivert.
"That was my most complete performance for Barcelona," said
Rivaldo before celebrating with his team-mates and family at a
surprise birthday party at a hotel near the Barca ground.

#10 ·
Curva Nord INTER said:
Let's do this to every other thread in the archives. Then Osman's job will be a piece of cake. :tongue:
some interesting shit to dig up, people saying Raul was better than Rivaldo, that Beckham was one of the best in the game and so forth :D

#11 ·
You're really cruel Lit...depressing Laziali like this. Used to talk of signing Rivaldo and now they play with Mauri in Rivaldos position ;)

#15 ·
jani said:
Its quite sad cause this was how powerful Serie A was at that time :( LAZIO could afford a player of Rivaldo's calibre. Even in todays EPL or La Liga could a mediocre team sign such a name. Imagine Everton signing Ronaldinho :D
Actually, Lazio didn't get Rivaldo... and, if you think about it, the perspective of time show that some Italian clubs were actually overspending and seriously damging their future, so some Serie A clubs werent' actually THAT powerful as they pretended to be.

#16 ·
jani said:
Its quite sad cause this was how powerful Serie A was at that time :( LAZIO could afford a player of Rivaldo's calibre. Even in todays EPL or La Liga could a mediocre team sign such a name. Imagine Everton signing Ronaldinho :D
Lazio weren't a mediocre team at that time though...

Infact I wouldn't even call them a medicore side now, they're quite a good team by Serie A standards.

#18 ·
They are mediocre compared to the top, really established "rich" teams like Milan, Juve, Inter, Barca, Real, Man Utd, Bayern, Liverpool and Chelsea.

In todays world Lazio are in the same bracket as Sevilla, Valencia, Spurs, Arsenal. Do any of these teams have the same financial might?

I know Lazio did not get Rivaldo but my statement still stands eh? Vieri, Mendieta are just a few names that come to mind. Of course you exclude Crespo, Veron as they were already based in Italy.

But I guess the fact they bankrupted means they did quite exaggerate their finances. Still, Serie A was much cooler then :(

I blame Inter for all this :mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.