1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serie A Week 28 - 4/4/04 (15.00)
Lazio - Siena

Stadio Olimpico

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lazio got their Champions’ League campaign back on track with a 2-1 win at Perugia and they are expecting another three points at the Olimpico. The Biancocelesti had been struggling to get the results that their performances deserved but they should be too powerful for little Siena.

In form Stefano Fiore has bagged some important goals in recent weeks and he will again be a key figure in midfield. Demetrio Albertini and Fabio Liverani should line up alongside him given that Giuliano Giannichedda – who scored his first goal for the club last week – is suspended.

Boss Roberto Mancini is set to keep faith with the three-man attack that consists of Claudio Lopez, Roberto Muzzi and target man Bernardo Corradi. Massimo Oddo should start at right back with Stam in the centre.

Siena also won in Week 27 with a crucial 1-0 victory over Udinese. The Tuscan outfit had been sucked back into relegation trouble after some inconsistent displays. They will be without Bruno Cirillo because of a one-match ban.

Tore Andre Flo and Enrico Chiesa will lead the attack, with Nicola Ventola ready to come on if needed. Chiesa is looking in good shape again after his mediocre start to the campaign. Flo scored last week, which has seen him linked with a move to Milan.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lazio (probable): Peruzzi; Oddo, Stam, Mihajlovic, Favalli; Fiore; Albertini, Liverani; Muzzi, Corradi, Lopez

Siena (probable): Fortin; Cufre, Juarez, Mignani, Guigou; Taddei, Vergassola, D’Aversa, Lazetic; Flo, Chiesa

Ref: To folllow

channel4

·
Registered
256 Posts
Gianichedda being suspended is surely bad news, he is our only main midfielder who gets all the dirty tackles and recovers the balls in midfield for us.

I haven't seen Albertini for quite a while, I wonder how he will fare, hopefully he is in good shape.

Oddo seems to have a regular place at right back now, ever since the Udinese match, he has been starting against Rioma, then Perugia, hopefully this boosts his chances of getting a first team place in the NT.

I would like to see Inzaghi start, I think Corradi should be rested because of the Rome Derby coming up on the 14th or 17th ( Different sources ), and also he could start scoring and prove his critics wrong!

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
'Keeper crisis at Lazio Saturday 3 April, 2004

Lazio may be forced to field their third choice goalkeeper against Siena tomorrow afternoon due to an injury crisis.

Angelo Peruzzi (pictured) has definitely been ruled out after he suffered a minor right thigh strain during last week’s 2-1 win at Perugia.

Matteo Sereni stepped in to replace the veteran at half-time and was expected to stand between the posts for Sunday’s clash with Siena.

However, the ex-Ipswich Town shot-stopper pulled up during Friday’s training session with a muscular problem.

More tests are needed to discover the extent of the damage and he is undergoing physiotherapy, but it seems unlikely he’ll recover in time for the Olimpico appointment.

Therefore 33-year-old third-choice goalkeeper Fabrizio Casazza is preparing for his seasonal debut in the Biancocelesti goal.

channel4

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mancio takes it easy Sunday 4 April, 2004

Roberto Mancini’s Lazio refuse to suffer the stress of the derby delay and transfer talk as they concentrate on gaining revenge over Siena.

“I don’t know if the decision to delay the replay was a political one,” explained the Coach after the April 14 date was scrapped over security fears, “but I’m sure they had their reasons. We are ready to take to the field any time we are asked to.”

The tension at the Olimpico side has been cranked up throughout the campaign with constant talk of mass sales to solve their financial worries.

“The football world has made many mistakes,” he admits, “but I don’t think it is a scandal to ask for VAT payments to be spread out with the pledge of not making the same errors in future.”

The players are not the only ones hanging in the balance, as there are new reports that Mancini has been offered a contract worth £2.4m per season to take over Premiership club Everton.

With everything going on around this club, it could be difficult to maintain concentration when Siena come to visit.

“We must impose our style of play on them,” he commented after losing the first encounter 3-0 at the Stadio Artemio Franchi.

“That was undoubtedly our worst performance of the season, even if we nearly took the lead early on. From the 40th minute onwards we just showed no grit, no bite and letting the tension get to us.”

Lazio have been more impressive over the last few weeks, but they face an old friend in a Siena shirt.

“Enrico Chiesa is a great striker,” said his former Sampdoria teammate. “He has the quality to decide a match all by himself. We’ll have to be very careful with him.”

channel4

·
Registered
14,067 Posts
Inzaghino said:
Gianichedda being suspended is surely bad news, he is our only main midfielder who gets all the dirty tackles and recovers the balls in midfield for us.
Actually I think we have the perfect replacement for Giannichedda in Dabo. He has performed well every time. We should play Fiore-Dabo-Liverani in the midfield, with "nonna" Oddo and Favalli being active on the attack. No Lopez or Corradi in the starting eleven, Cesar should play with Muzzi and Inzaghi. Keeping in mind that it's our current habit to always concede goals against weaker opponents, this might be a tricky game...

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
Yes, it could be a very trricky game indeed if Taddei has a good day as in the first game against Siena. I think we should press from the start and try to kill the game as early as possible for once. I would favour Albertini in GG's place bur Dabo is also an option, of course. I think Corradi could use a bit of rest and maybe starting from the bench will make him think twice before continuing with his dreadful miss sequences.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
1:0 for us! Cesar in the 3rd minute. Just the start I hoped for.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
HT result - 3:2 for us. What a game that seems to be! Two goals from Cesar and one from the already usual suspect - Fiore. What's wrong with our strikers? They should take some lessons from Fiore.;)
Anyway, exciting games are great and stuff but we really need to win this one as Parma is also leading. FORZA LAZIO!

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
5:2 it ended, much needed victory and we came from behind in order to achieve it. Cesar scored a hattrick!:star: And Corradi finally found the net again.

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
5-2 :star:

Great result! Although we had to go through the ususal nervewreaking by falling behind but this time we got things sorted out earlier than ususal.

Grande Cesar :star: Three goals and a great performance. He is so important to us and we cannot sell him at the end of the season. We can't! Fiore scored once again which is hardly a surpirse anymore and he assisted Cesar too. Forza Fiore! :star:

Corradi scored too :eek: ! After a huge mess in front of goal he got a knee on the ball and in it went. Great work from Zauri on that goal. He's turning into a good player for us. :)

FORZA LAZIO !!

·
International
6,724 Posts
The 1st three goals for Lazio could have been ruled off. For the first goal, Inzaghi took the free kick while the boll was still rolling. The 2nd and 3rd looked offside.

Congrats on the win :)

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
Good result in the end, but some concerns again. Still we managed to come away with the 3 points, which at this stage is the more important. Parma, Udinese and Inter all managed to win too, so this victory kept us leading the race for the 4th spot. Cesar was amazing, his individual class is something that we really need. Too bad we had to miss him earlier on in the season for such a long time due to his injury, otherwise who knows where we´d be right now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts