Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're up agaist one of our direct competitors for the UEFA cup spot, and it goes without saying that this is a must win for us. Last week we saw Chievo overtake us and join Livorno with a 2 point lead, while Palermo is approaching from below. So we really need the full points to stay in the race. Di Canio is available again, so that is good news. Let's hope Rossi will realize what's at stake and play this one with a desire to take the points.

Forza Lazio !!

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
I would have been confident of winning this had Cribari not been suspended and Stendardo injured. Now we have only Siviglia from the regular CBs. Maybe Piccolo could play his first game for Lazio or someone of the fullbacks wil lbe converted into a CB. Sampdoria will desperate to stop their losing streak so I don't think this game will be easy at all. If we play Di Canio, Rocchi and Pandev from the start it might be a game with quite a lot of goals.

FORZA LAZIO!

·
Registered
14,067 Posts
Zauri plays as the other center back...

1 Peruzzi A.
22 Oddo M.
13 Siviglia S.
8 Zauri L.
7 Belleri M.
85 Behrami V.
26 Mudingayi G.
20 Liverani F.
11 Mauri S.
9 Di Canio P.
18 Rocchi T.

FORZA LAZIO!

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
15 interesting minutes in the beginning and then 30 really boring ones. Mauri and Behrami are quite bad today, Liverani has one good pass followed by two bad ones, Di Canio tries the most difficult passes, etc. Falcone should have been sent off for that cynycal kick on Rocchi and he got badly injured in the end, Belleri got injured two when their heads collided in the air. We should try to win this one, one point is not enough, I hope we will see Pandev replacing Mauri or Behrami.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
Well done, a win which takes to sixth place, level on points with Chievo. Lady Luck helped us, since the decisive first goal was after a deflection from Palombo's head but they all count, right? Sampdoria hardly had any shots on goal in the second half, despite our odd looking defence. Mudingay helped the defenders a lot and Pandev really helped the attack after he came on, although he also dribbled too much. Behrami needs to get his act together, too often it seems he rushes into action and chooses the worst option - shot rather than pass, dribble instead of shot, etc.
FORZA LAZIO!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Di Canio was fantastic, even though he didn't score and gave the ball away once or twice. Too bad about Falcone's injury--and he did deserve to be sent off for that tackle from behind on Rocchi. ODDO was brilliant, though he was a tad lucky to get that first ball in--and did anyone notice how his passing improved after his goals? Nothing like confidence....

Forza Lazio.

·
Registered
14,067 Posts
Oddo is a bit of a mood player anyway, you're right about that. He's brilliant when on top of his game...which he hasn't been very often this season. But he has quality, and that's what we need more. Too bad that he will be probably leave.

The rest of our schedule is a tad easier than the first part, I really think we will get the UEFA place.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
:thumbsup: we should play manfredini at first ...anyway..i am glad that we now have a player like Mudingayi, he is the player we need after diego simeone's era... :angel: good win. :thumbsup:

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Important victory. Just when we really needed it. Not the prettiest of matches, but we were effective and at this stage of the competition, that's what counts. Let's hope we can keep the momentum going for the remaining matches. Now that the UEFA cup spot is a realistic goal, we have something to play for again and it will hopefully be just the motivation our players need to up their performance. :)

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Week 31 Spotlight: Oddo man out Monday 27 March, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player of the Week: Oddo (Lazio)
There is one place up for grabs in Marcello Lippi’s Italian side for the World Cup and Massimo Oddo staked his claim to it on Sunday. Not only did he remind the tactician of his ability by scoring both goals in Lazio’s 2-0 win over Sampdoria, but his defensive performance – so often degraded in the past – was also of the highest calibre during Week 31.

Lippi has a clear problem at right-back even if he’ll never admit to it. After freezing out Christian Panucci - the Azzurri’s best option in that position - following a bust-up between the two during their time together at Inter, Lippi has looked elsewhere for a man to fill the No 2 shirt.

He initially chose Parma’s Daniele Bonera, but injury and poor form have seen the former Under-21 international lose his way. Palermo’s Cristian Zaccardo was then handed the shirt even if his displays did leave many perplexed, which was also a reason why the tactician opted to switch the marauding Gianluca Zambrotta from the left on to the right.

Yet Oddo has pushed himself into the thoughts of Lippi in recent months after some fine displays at the Stadio Olimpico. He had already forced his way back into the squad for the 4-1 win over Germany at the start of March and is refusing to let his performance level dip in the months which the former Juventus boss will use to finalise his squad plans for Germany 2006.

Oddo is taking nothing for granted though and insists the best way to earn international recognition is to just keep doing as much as he can for Lazio. “This win was fundamental for us because Sampdoria, despite now losing their last six games, are a direct rival of ours for a place in the UEFA Cup,” he said. “That has given us a great stimulus for the rest of the season.”

Not too many people were sure of what to expect from Lazio this term, with Oddo himself admitting that keeping their status as a Serie A side was at the top of their agenda. “Our first objective for this season was to avoid relegation,” he noted. “Now that we have achieved that, we can now focus on our second target which is to qualify for Europe.”

Oddo opened the scoring at the Olimpico with a fierce drive which beat Francesco Antonioli with the aid of a deflection. He then made sure of the points by living up to his reputation as a penalty expert by slotting home a spot-kick in the closing stages of the game. Defensively, he kept the usually dangerous Max Tonetto anonymous down the flank.

“I need to thank the medical staff, though, for my display,” said Oddo who was a major doubt ahead of the tie. “Their treatment allowed me to feature despite the problem I am having with a toe on my foot. I dedicate my goals to them and all of those who love Lazio out there.”

channel4

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
lazindo17 said:
:thumbsup: we should play manfredini at first ...anyway..i am glad that we now have a player like Mudingayi, he is the player we need after diego simeone's era... :angel: good win. :thumbsup:
Mudingayi was very quiet in the first half.

We need to get our left midfield sorted out quick, Mauri. :rolleyes:

Hope we dont sell Oddo.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm afraid it's not so easy as Lazio wanting to sell Oddo as Oddo may be wanting to leave to a, excuse me, but more competetive club than SS Lazio.

I hope he stays AND we become stronger more competetive.

Forza Lazio.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
I think it depends on whether Lippi calls Oddo for the WC. If he doesn't Oddo wil lbe even more motivated to paly for a bigger club and catch Lippi's attention. He is one of my favourite Lazio players but if we get good money I would be all for selling him. But in today's market in Italy I doubt we wil lget a good enough offer so it's better to keep him.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts