Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EXCLUSIVE Lazio reject Mendieta bid

Sunday 27th January 2002

Lazio have refused to sell Gaizka Mendieta to Barcelona after the Catalan club offered £13 million and Fabio Rochemback for the Spain midfielder.

Barcelona are thought to have tabled the offer over the weekend – though Lazio official Giuseppe di Mita insisted that the Spanish club would be disappointed if they wanted to sign Mendieta before the transfer window closes next week.

"I repeat that Gaitka Mendieta, just like the other players in our squad, will stay here until the end of the season,"he told onefootball.com. "Then coach Alberto Zaccheroni will make his choices[about who to keep] and we'll start to listen to offers.

"It's normal that clubs like Barcelona are looking for Mendieta. Atletico Madrid and Valencia have been watching him for a long time. But we won't sell him – just like we didn't sell Stefano Fiore, who understood his situation and now got his place back in the starting line up."

The prospects of Mendieta doing something similar are slim. The Spaniard has endured a torrid first six months in the capital and been the subject of transfer speculation ever since Lazio crashed out of the Champions' League.

Lazio coach Alberto Zaccheroni has criticised the former Valencia midfielder's tendency to drift inside from the right and Lazio's upturn in form before Christmas coincided with Mendieta being demoted to the bench.

Earlier this month, Mendieta shunned a press conference, and used the club's official website to warn Zaccheroni that his form could not improve if he continues to be left out of the side.

Mendieta has a clause in his contract that could force Barcelona to pay Valencia £3 million in compensation if the Catalans sign him within two years.

"I have spent too much time on the bench," Mendieta said recently. "I was in a similar position in Spain at the beginning of my career but it wasn't as long as here. What do I have to do? Work harder and fight again."

Barcelona's Brazilian midfielder Rochemback, meanwhile, has struggled to hold down a regular place in the side this season since signing from Internacional Porto Alegre in the summer.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Was it wrong to buy Giannichedda?
Was it wrong to buy Fiore (at the time)?
Was it wrong to sell Veron who wanted to leave us?
Was Liverani a bad buy?
Was Stam a bad buy?
Selling Nedved was not a mistake. We made so much money and now Deki has made the position his.

The deal taking Salas away was right.
Crag also forced back the 4-4-2. Another right decision.

In conclusion No. 3 maybe you should think before you critisise!

What an insulting offer from Barcelona :rolleyes:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Of course we should not sell Mendieta, whatever team make the offer. I mean not sell him is good decision.

as far as other deals, yes, most of them are great player, but what they bring me????? lose after lose ?????????

we made the money????? for whom ??????

all is right ????? including the position of list ??????

as a fan, the biggest misery is we can only be a critic!!!!!

·
International
6,519 Posts
Oh c'mon EL MAT ! You don't really believe we profitted any way in our transfer season this year...

Anyway, I agree with u, What a shamefull offer by Barcelona :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
sslazio we have not profited from our buys I agree with you. But at the time where they bad deals? Be honest.

Im sure you were excited about Mendieta, Fiore, (not Giannichedda but hes been the surprise) and Liverani has been decent.

And selling Nedved, I like that because Deki is now in the line up ;)

no. 3 i am saying they were not bad decisions by crag, they were just unlucky flops for crag.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bilbao deny Mendieta loan deal with Lazio

Tuesday, January 29, 2002
Bilbao deny Mendieta loan deal with Lazio

MADRID (Reuters) - Athletic Bilbao have denied reports that they are about to sign Lazio's unsettled Spanish international midfielder Gaizka Mendieta on loan.
The Spanish sports daily Marca said the Basque club had been negotiating with Lazio and a deal could be concluded before Spain's transfer deadline expires on Thursday.

But a statement on Bilbao's official website said: 'Athletic would like to make it publicly clear that no agreement exists over the signing of the Lazio player Gaizka Mendieta'.

Lazio managing director Massimo Cragnotti also told Spanish state television Mendieta would remain with the Italian club.

However, the player's agent Gines Carvajal said Mendieta was considering his immediate future at the Italian club.

'He is keeping calm at the moment, but he is not happy about his situation and is hoping that things can be resolved before January 31,' Carvajal told Radio Marca on Monday.

Mendieta, who became the most expensive Spanish player in history when he joined Lazio from Valencia for $41 million in the close season, has failed to hold down a first team place.

Carvajal confirmed the approach of the World Cup was an important factor for the player who was a fixture in the Spanish national side during their qualification campaign.

'Mendieta wants to go to the World Cup and to do that he needs to play and the more he plays the greater his chances are,' he said.

Originally seen as the key to rebuilding the Lazio midfield after the controversial sales of Czech international Pavel Nedved to Juventus and Argentina's Juan Sebastian Veron to Manchester United, Mendieta has now been sidelined by coach Alberto Zaccheroni.

The 27-year-old Spaniard has been singled out by fans for heavy criticism in the wake of the team's poor start to the season.

The 2000 Serie A champions, who have been eliminated from European competition and are struggling to maintain a title challenge, now lie in seventh place, 15 points behind leaders and arch-rivals Roma.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Valencia block Mendieta loan move to Bilbao

Tuesday 29th January 2002

Valencia are set to scupper any plans Gaizka Mendieta may have of moving from Lazio to Athletic Bilbao on loan after claiming that they still have some rights over the player.

"I know that Mendieta will not be playing in the San Mames next Sunday," said Valencia president Jaime Orti.

The Spain international is desperate to return to La Liga after a nightmare six months in Italy following his £25 million move to Lazio last summer - and on Tuesday his agent suggested a deal with Bilbao was in the offing.

But Orti believes that if Mendieta returns to Spain it will only be to Valencia.

"We have a strong say in the movement of Mendieta and our first decision will be that he is not going to Bilbao," he said.

"If he returns to Spain before June 30, 2003, then Lazio will have to pay Valencia a further £8 million as we agreed when he left us.

"Valencia will do what is best for the interests of the club and we cannot allow him to move to a direct rival."

El Che have been linked with a £13 million bid for their former captain in recent weeks and Barcelona reportedly had a player-plus-cash offer, which would have seen Fabio Rochemback move to Rome, rejected.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
To bad for Lazio and Mendieta that it hasnt worked out that well for the most expensive Spainish player:(.But i hope for both parties that Lazio get a good deal and some money from a future Mendieta transfer, being that they can recoup most of what they spent for the flop:(.Or hopefully he shines which i hope for him and so he can make a impact for Spain's World Cup Challenge:).

·
International
6,519 Posts
EL MATADOR said:
sslazio we have not profited from our buys I agree with you. But at the time where they bad deals? Be honest.

Im sure you were excited about Mendieta, Fiore, (not Giannichedda but hes been the surprise) and Liverani has been decent.

And selling Nedved, I like that because Deki is now in the line up ;)

no. 3 i am saying they were not bad decisions by crag, they were just unlucky flops for crag.
OK, I know I was satisfied when we got Fiore and Mendieta, but seing them fail left me in tears in my eyes...

I can just agree with you, though...

·
Registered
713 Posts
if Crag refused the deal only because he wants to use Mendi as an exchange to get Veron then it's a good decision...
otherwise he is really stupid... ! Rochamback might be the winger we need!

·
Star Player
4,429 Posts
Playing Rochemback as a winger would be a BIG mistake. He's a central Midfielder. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts