Xtratime Community banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10 05 2002
The Juan Sebastian Veron saga has taken another twist with his close friend and new Lazio coach Roberto Mancini admitting he'd be "very happy" if the Argentinian midfielder returned to Italy.

Veron's first season in England after a £28.1million transfer to Manchester United has been dogged by speculation of a speedy reunion with the Rome club. The appointment of his former Lazio and Sampdoria team-mate as Biancoceleste coach has only added more fuel to the fire.

"I have had lunch with Veron," Mancini told a press conference to mark his own reappearance at the Stadio Olimpico. "He is a great player, but at this time he is still a Manchester player. It is clear that we would love to have him here, but we have to know what Manchester United are thinking. I think the club would be very happy if Veron decides to return to Lazio."

The playmaker was pivotal to Lazio's title success two years ago, linking well with Mancini and the club's other forwards.

And he has made frequent trips to the Italian capital when not featuring for Sir Alex Ferguson's side.

Mancini's confession came on the same day Veron attempted to dampen down reports he would cut short his tenure with the dethroned English champions.

Veron had earlier told Argentinian radio: "It has not been a good year, neither for the team nor for me, but you don't always arrive and start winning.

"But I am happy to be in England."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts