Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
If anyone is really interested in this movie, I recommend you pick up the T.E. Lawrence biography by Jeremy Wilson. An exhaustive work, but still an entertaining read. The movie is great, but does not do justice to the passion with which Lawrence lived his life. Amazing life.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a great film, the acting is fantastic, Peter O' Toole plays the perfect Lawrence, Alec Guinness is perfect as the Prince, Omar Sharif is absolutely brilliant as the Sherif Ali ibn el Kharish and it's little wonder it picked up 7 oscar.

Pics from the film.

T.E Lawrence wrote a few books about his life after he returned but i haven't read them and i know very little about the man himself. I know there's a conspiracy surrounding the crash he had in Oxfordshire which lead to his death, apparently he had Nazi sympathies and the accident was 'arranged'.

:eek:

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
If you're going to read just one of Lawrence's books, make it 7 Pillars of Wisdom. He was no Nazi sympathizer.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
fascinating movie, fascinating character!

i am uprised you guys like it, because when i first watched this movie 4 years ago, i had rented it from blockbuster not really knowing what it was but i ended up not giving the movie back and i still keep it:D

i wathed it about 4 times now and even though i have the movie, i am thinking about buying the special edition version of the movie, if you live in the US and u like lawrance of arabia, you shuld pick it up, it s got a lot of bonus features and documentary

tinto, which biography is better? i want to read.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Carlito,

I wouln't call Seven Pillars or Jeremy Wilson's bio good reads, IF you're expecting something that will sweep you away like the movie.

Seven Pillars is one of the best statements about the first world war that I've ever read. It's Lawrence speaking in the first person, and reads like a long letter. I'd recommend it of these two.

Wilson's bio is very long, scholarly, and covers Lawrence's entire life. It's much more informative, but heavier.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tinto said:
Carlito,

I wouln't call Seven Pillars or Jeremy Wilson's bio good reads, IF you're expecting something that will sweep you away like the movie.

Seven Pillars is one of the best statements about the first world war that I've ever read. It's Lawrence speaking in the first person, and reads like a long letter. I'd recommend it of these two.

Wilson's bio is very long, scholarly, and covers Lawrence's entire life. It's much more informative, but heavier.
Sounds to me like you have read these books? How close to reality is the film? obviously the costumes and the main characters look like the real thing but is the story also close to reality?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts