Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Player
343 Posts
Tomasson was excellent, Helveg was solid while Laursen looks shaky when he has to move horizontally.

·
Administrator
11,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ACM said:
Tomasson was excellent, Helveg was solid while Laursen looks shaky when he has to move horizontally.
I don't know what you mean by horizontally. If you mean running parallel to the goal line that is not the biggest deal. What is important for a central defender is to close down the middle of the defensive line to opposing attacking players which Laursen did to (almost) perfection today and 99% of the time he played during the season.

·
Registered
43,410 Posts
I love IDT attitude ... not played a game yet and knows his stuf
so well :D ;)

from soccerage.com

06/01/2002. Danish national hero and fresh AC Milan signing Jon Dahl Tomasson sent shivers of excitement and pride down the spines of the Rossoneri fans at the end of the match in which his pair of goals downed Recoba's Uruguay.

"AC Milan won today and will win next year as well, I promise this to the fans," said Tomasson, who sealed off his move to the Serie A giants back in May.

The 26 year old forward was obviously referring to the mini-derby that took place today as also Danish left back Helveg plays for Milan, while both Sorondo and Recoba play for Inter.

Asked by the Italian reporters on what he expects from his Italian experience, the former Feyenoord player answered,

"I am sure I can do well, I was even before tonight's game. I really hope to do well, in one of the world's most difficult leagues," added Tommason.

FORZA JDT!!!

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Laursen showed how good a header of the ball he is - he clears the ball 30 meters with his head. Also made some very well timed tackles, showing his reading of the play. He'll be a very good player for us, and I see now why we might've taken the decision to sell Coloccini (basically). Now all that has to happen is for RJ to follow in Dunga's footsteps as the captain and leader on the field for Brazil and our defence suddenly will look pretty damn good :dazed:

Helveg outplayed Recoba for the most part, winning the ball on 4-5 occasions and he sent in the beautiful cross that Sand headed onto the crossbar. On the basis of his performance, he deserves a starting place covering for Contra's wingplay. Rino and Ambro in the centre, Rui/Pirlo the attacking midfielder, Serginho providing a deeper role as a wingback doesn't sound all that bad ;)

JDT, scorer of two world cup goals, man of the match, free transfer to Milan, what more can we say? Well done, Baldy :greed:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Am I the only one here who can't stand Helveg and thinks he is a disaster ?

I don't know , if I had the choise , i would prefer Contra without doubts , he can play well both offensivly (very well there , i must say) and defensvly.

On the other hand , Helveg is doing mostly damage on both sides , in my personal opinion.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
It's actually quite a hard choice as to who should play on the right, Helveg or Contra.

Helveg is clearly a better defender than Contra, as seen for Denmark this World Cup. But Contra is much better attacking than Helveg is.

If we could use Helvegs defense and Contras attack, we would have a perfect right back.

·
Registered
22 Posts
In my personal opinion , Helveg is not so good defensvly , but i'm known for my high expections from defenders on the defensive side.

From some reason , me and my friends see Helveg and Roque Junior as a disaster to Milan , and would really love seeing someone else instead.

·
Administrator
11,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maldini-god said:
In my personal opinion , Helveg is not so good defensvly , but i'm known for my high expections from defenders on the defensive side.

From some reason , me and my friends see Helveg and Roque Junior as a disaster to Milan , and would really love seeing someone else instead.
Eventhough I don't rate RJ as poorly as most on this forum I think it is unfair to put him in the same category as Helveg.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good point !!! ;)

But it's still sad those two play such as important role for our loved team...

·
Registered
765 Posts
Tomasson won't score more than 5 goals in the Seria A this season. Max. 5 goals. He needs 10 chances normally in a match to score 1 goal. This WC was one of a lifetime for Tomasson - he is not that effective in reality ;) Guess he will sit on the bench a lot....

·
International
8,545 Posts
IF he had a good world cup, maybe it's the start of a better career for him. He's a good signing on the surface but only time will tell. I think he'll do well here though.

·
Registered
10,455 Posts
Maldini-god said:

In my personal oppinion I think you´re dead wrong.. I see Helveg as one of the most solid backs in the world.. Very very good defensively and apparently Capello(who bought Helveg), Zaccheroni, C Maldini and Ancelotti all see the same qualities. I don´t understand your strange critic. Helveg has never been better, he has played with an incredible self belief in this World Cup.. If you´re a fan of Milan you should be proud of the way he eliminated Recoba against Uruguay. Or against Senegal where he and Laursen in cooperation marked this World Cup´s best player so far El Hadji Diouf out of the game.. Stop your unreasonable slamming of a very loyal Milan player..

·
Registered
765 Posts
I hope so too, IVO. Just a bit of advice to keep expectations a bit low. Tomasson (ask any Dutch person) needs a lot of chances to score. He hit form perfectly for this WC - also scoring the decider in Feyenoord's UEFA cup win...
Beside Brian Laudrup did well at the NT but wasn't a success at AC Milan...

·
Registered
10,455 Posts
Like every striker who is able to get lot´s of opportunities Tomasson misses a lot too. That´s quite logic. The important thing is his ability to get to them. The rest will come in time. It´s the same with Inzaghi, he gets to the chances, misses a lot but scores a lot too..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts