Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
10,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you would have him as United's next manager?

first season with Bordeaux, and he's got them to the final game (2 points behind Lyon) with still a chance of winning the league on the final day.

Closest any team's been to Lyon in years, and really mounted a title challenge.

Suppose next season will be the biggest test, if he can continue his good start in Europe and in the league

i like Blanc, so i hope he does well, naturally

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
So blanc joins long list of Ex United players ane wanna be Fergue's successor's....

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
No chance. Mourinho or Quieroz.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Why are we talking about SAF's replacement, He's got at least 2 more seasons, i hope :scared:

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
why is everyone speculating about replacements, Fergie hasnt said he is gonna go yet

·
Registered
13,916 Posts
why is everyone speculating about replacements, Fergie hasnt said he is gonna go yet
Yeah, but it's coming. Maybe in two years, maybe in five, maybe in a week. Who knows?

One thing I do know is that it'll come out of the blue.

As for Blanc? He's done fantastically well at bordeaux but he's going to have to repeat this season's exploits and go on to manage a bigger club in a bigger league.

Not that I'm saying he'd even want the job. He's hardly a real United old boy like Hughes or Keane.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
I fear when Ferguson leaves, there is going to be an exodus at Chelsea this you watch with Mourinho going and the players frustrations mounting. I hope something similar doesn't happen here.

·
Registered
13,916 Posts
Nah, I can't see that happening. We're too stable a club.

Ferguson's built the club and laid down the foundations so that when he does retire it'll be a smooth transition.

It's not as if he's sodding off somewhere, he'll still be about -- but then maybe that's a bad thing. Who knows?

·
Banned
10,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Who knows when Fergie will retire, might be few years

give Larry time ;)

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
Yeah, but it's coming. Maybe in two years, maybe in five, maybe in a week.
Depends on the result in Moscow. Honestly: If we win that final I would totally understand when Sir Alex says "that´s it" and leaves. In 99 he could have done that already, I think the only reason that he did not was because he was still young and hungry for many, many more titles. But now is 9 years later. If he wins CL again he would have done it with two totally different squads. HIS teams. For me that would be the perfect moment to say goodbye, what else can he win with the club than a Treble plus a worldcup for clubs and CL twice? Nothing.

So for me that "in a week" is not so unlikely. But however he decides I believe (and hope) that "plan B" for the time after Sir Alex is already in the making....And personally I would want someone who´s part of Uniteds history. A former player. Laurent Blanc might be an option for somewhen in the future, but still too unexperienced if you ask me.

·
Registered
13,916 Posts
There's no way in hell Ferie will be leaving this summer. We're on 17 league titles - one behind Liverpool.

I think he'll want to well and truly "knock Liverpool right off their fcukin' pearch" before he calls it a day.

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
I also refuse to believe that he wants to retire. When I see him during the matches I always have the impression that he absolutely oves his job. But a 2nd win in CL would be the right moment to retire, or not? Leaving on a high is always the best.

·
Registered
13,916 Posts
No, leaving on 19 (maybe an even 20) league titles is a better way to retire.:)

I really do believe that's his aim.

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
who guarantees him that he´ll win No 18 and 19? Who knows how long that will take? The PL is the strongest league in Europe, it´s so hard to win that league. Can we expect to see Sir Alex as manager aged 70 or so?

·
Registered
13,916 Posts
Well who guaranteed him numbers 8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16 and 17? It's not guaranteed, and that's the challenge.

No matter if we win or lose on wednesday or if we don't win the league for the next four or five years; the man's place is cemented at the top of the table right next to Sir Matt in the history of this club.

If he's fit, healthy and still enjoys the chase then there's no reason for him to retire. And with the young squad he's got, with money to strengthen and the fantastic coaching staff he's got around him, would you bet against him making it to 19 in the next few years?

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
of course not. but don´t you think that someone who has won everything could suddenly lose his motivation? that he suddenly says it´s enough? I don´t want to paint black, but for me that´s not so unrealistic.

·
Registered
13,916 Posts
I see what you're saying, but when the man says his young players motivate him. He comes in to work every morning to work with brilliant, hungry young players like Rooney, Ronaldo, Anderson, Evra, Vidic etc, that's what motivates him. Managing a team playing in front of 75,000 every other week motivates him. Managing the top team in the world's top league motivates him. Playing Barcelona in the CL semi finals motivates him. Chasing Liverpool's record motivates him. You never get tired of success and wanting more success motivates you.

And when you consider he's just built a fantastic young team, why would he pass that on to someone else so quickly?

Trust me, he wants that 18th and 19th league title but if he doesn't get there in the next few years then he doesn't get there, but he'll give it a good go.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts