Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just something that occured to me about Laporta's transfers - more often than not, the players he has signed have been the leaders and/or the most inspirational players in their previous clubs....

Ronaldinho - most inspirational player at PSG, and now team leader at Barca
Marquez - Captain of Mexico
Giuly - Captain and most inspirational player at Monaco
Eto'o - most inspirational player at Mallorca
Deco - the go-to guy at Porto
Edmilson - the glue behind Lyon's 4 season championship winning run
Larsson - the most inspirational player at Celtic

Adding that in with our home grown leaders ('El Capi' Puyol, Xavi), and our transfer links for next season - Van Bommel (Captain of PSV), Ballack (Captain of Bayern/Germany) and Milito (leader at Zaragoza), we can begin to see what Laporta is trying to create - a TEAM of leaders.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Good point

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Toecrusher said:
I think this is stretching it a bit but certainly the others are correct. A very good observation.

·
Gracies, Turkiye!
19,988 Posts
Yeah, I've thought about this too.

I remember Eto'o also being captain in Mallorca at some point/s.

Victor Valdes is also sort of a leader. Great confidence and good communication with the team, particularly the backfour.

Demetrio Albertini is also a natural leader. There is rumours about him joining the coaching staff for next season.

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
yeah and rijkaards a leader and iniesta leads from the bench and messi leads the young upcoming stars. lets not over do it guys. the team does have great players with great personalities, thats true, but in the locker room i feel it is a couple players, puyol, xavi, ronnie who lead. In that i dont think they talk down or see themselves as above the teammates, but i feel they are looked to to take charge of the team and lead especially in times of difficulty.

·
Gracies, Turkiye!
19,988 Posts
CarlosMiguel said:
yeah and rijkaards a leader and iniesta leads from the bench and messi leads the young upcoming stars. lets not over do it guys. the team does have great players with great personalities, thats true, but in the locker room i feel it is a couple players, puyol, xavi, ronnie who lead. In that i dont think they talk down or see themselves as above the teammates, but i feel they are looked to to take charge of the team and lead especially in times of difficulty.
Actually Rijkaard too was a natural leader as a player, Iniesta plays like he's 28 (or someone else, when he's 28 he'll be the best), Messí was captain of the juvenile-team, so you're not entiriely wrong. ;)

Btw, Larsson is second captain in Swedish NT IIRC. :D

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Toecrusher said:
Just something that occured to me about Laporta's transfers - more often than not, the players he has signed have been the leaders and/or the most inspirational players in their previous clubs....

Ronaldinho - most inspirational player at PSG, and now team leader at Barca
Marquez - Captain of Mexico
Giuly - Captain and most inspirational player at Monaco
Eto'o - most inspirational player at Mallorca
Deco - the go-to guy at Porto
Larsson - the most inspirational player at Celtic

Adding that in with our home grown leaders ('El Capi' Puyol, Xavi), and our transfer links for next season - Van Bommel (Captain of PSV), Ballack (Captain of Bayern/Germany) and Milito (leader at Zaragoza), we can begin to see what Laporta is trying to create - a TEAM of leaders.
A good observation :thmbup: But I don't think he wants to create a team of leaders tough, because in the end like a poster here said, there are only some players that will be the leaders. They maybe were the leaders in the past but not now, Giuly for example looks nothing like a "leader" these days.

·
In Pep, We Trust!
6,149 Posts
great point Toecrusher, i think it is true. We need players with alot of experience and the responsibility of trying to lift a club which didnt win a single trophey in 6 years. So getting all those players would be something that can push the club towards glory and i do believe that we are on the right path

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Here's a metaphysical question. How can you lead if there is no one left to follow?? woooo strange!!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Emirho said:
A good observation :thmbup: But I don't think he wants to create a team of leaders tough, because in the end like a poster here said, there are only some players that will be the leaders. They maybe were the leaders in the past but not now, Giuly for example looks nothing like a "leader" these days.
Yeah, I guess Ronnie, Puyol and Xavi are our leaders now, but the great thing about having so many past and present leaders is that we know that if and when they are called upon to be the inspiration for the team, they are up to it.

·
Registered
9,491 Posts
I think that overdoing it, is the last thing toecrusher was trying to achieve. And this really is a very good observation...didn´t think of the bought players that way at all. And it is very good because most of the players can take pressure to their shoulders, when team needs support and leading.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
ViscaBarcaInter said:
I think "strong personalities" is the best way to describe Rijkaard's transfers. There aren't just leaders out there, there are experienced, hungry players who eat pressure for breakfast. :stuckup: :D
i hope all that pressure doesn't cause their stomachs to explode :(

·
In Pep, We Trust!
6,149 Posts
Why is everyone talking about Ballack, i didn't find anything around the net linking barcelona with him this season?

·
Gracies, Turkiye!
19,988 Posts
FC Barcelona9 said:
Why is everyone talking about Ballack, i didn't find anything around the net linking barcelona with him this season?
Actually, we were linked with him last year and EMD was having him on the cover a couple of days ago. And I heard something about him registering his children in the German school in Barcelona.

He's 30 next year, I don't see why we need him if we get van Bommel for free. His contract expires the summer of 2006.

Rijkaards(and Laporta/Rosell/Txiki)'s transfers all got character.

·
In Pep, We Trust!
6,149 Posts
Culéd said:
Actually, we were linked with him last year and EMD was having him on the cover a couple of days ago. And I heard something about him registering his children in the German school in Barcelona.

He's 30 next year, I don't see why we need him if we get van Bommel for free. His contract expires the summer of 2006.

Rijkaards(and Laporta/Rosell/Txiki)'s transfers all got character.
I dont mind singning him he is EU, but how much would he cost barca+ how many years are left on his contract with bayern do you have any idea?

·
Gracies, Turkiye!
19,988 Posts
FC Barcelona9 said:
I dont mind singning him he is EU, but how much would he cost barca+ how many years are left on his contract with bayern do you have any idea?
I just wrote that. He has one season left after this one. If we were to sign him in the summer, we'd have to pay 7-10 million euros perhaps.

·
In Pep, We Trust!
6,149 Posts
Culéd said:
I just wrote that. He has one season left after this one. If we were to sign him in the summer, we'd have to pay 7-10 million euros perhaps.
well i would get him, but after we get an amazing CB to pair with Puyol and if we manage to get Del Horno as a LB. I feel that we covered most of the places on the pitch except our defence. We need to have an amazing defence for next season. We dont want to have any more blunders like the one we had against Chelsea!

·
Gracies, Turkiye!
19,988 Posts
FC Barcelona9 said:
well i would get him, but after we get an amazing CB to pair with Puyol and if we manage to get Del Horno as a LB. I feel that we covered most of the places on the pitch except our defence. We need to have an amazing defence for next season. We dont want to have any more blunders like the one we had against Chelsea!
Or Betis, or Madrid.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts