Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is something to debate it isnt bout football, but about the english language ;)

What is symbolism?

3 examples of it in literature would be perfect so the rest of us can learn what it is, also citing the source is of crucial importance, cause just like copying a soccer stroy one must always cite source :D

Lav

·
International
9,526 Posts
King Lear, alone on a hill, in the middle of a thunderstorm, symbolised the internal turmoil in his life such as the rapid estrangment from his daughters, his authority and his sanity.

When Kiowya sunk into the mud and died, during another thunderstorm in vietnam, within the novel 'The Things they carried', it symbolised how all that was good about America, its hopes, dreams, aspirations, had been dirtied, corrupted and stained by this conflict. Kiowya himself symbolised the good intentions of a nation, with his cheerful, optimistic outlook.

In 'The Journey West' (immortalised by the greatest children's programme of all time 'Monkey') the journey of the priest Tripitaka to collect the holy scriptures from the temple of the thunderclap, symbolised the trials and tribulations that face everyman (and women) through the journey of their life. Even the 3 deities, Monkey, Pigsy and Sandy, symbolise different aspects of the personality.

Strangely, all my examples have some reference to thunder (bizarre and unintentional).

Basically, symbolism allows the narrator, author, writer, whatever to emphasise a theme on more than one level. Maybe some one else can elaborate further.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Mr. Hardwood to Edmund Blackadder in "Amy and Amiability" :

EB: Sir, I come as emissary of the Prince of Wales with the most
splendid news. He wants your daughter Amy for his wife.

MH: Well his wife can't have her! Outrageous, sir, to come here with such a suggestion! (stands up angrily) Why, sir, or I shall take off my belt and by thunder me trousers will fall down!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts