Xtratime Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where this player is now? I'm just curious cause a couple of weeks ago I saw an article about him and they were suggesting the he was already 28 when he joined Anderlecht and not 16.

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
There are many talks about Lamptey. Some say he was much older than 16 (like a lot of African talents, but 28 looks very old to me) others at Anderlecht said he wasn't even 16. In Belgium you have to be 16 to start in the first team. Therefore it was said they manipulated his age on his pass. De Mos had to wait some weeks to line him up. he wanted to do that much earlier, but wasn't allowed.

Anyway he once one hell of a player. To me he didn't make it because:

1) There as way too much pressure on him. For example that "black Pélé"-stuff really got to his head.
2) He had way too much games at that time. He was fighting for his starting place at Anderlecht, which he eventually lost due to his games with the national side of Ghana. I think those national coaches really killed him. He was selected for the first team, the -21.... and he never refused. Then came the injuries and finally it was clear that he was lost for football.

Anderlecht managed to sell him to PSV, where Aad De Mos, the man who let him make his debut in the Anderlecht-team, was coach. At PSV he had some good games, but you could see it was over. It was all downhill from there. He even went to Brazil and last year he warmed the bench at some German 3e division team. :depress:

It really makes me really sad when I think of him. I remember the excitement I felt as an Anderlecht-fan. Your club having a futur worldstar and he showed it. His first game, he made the decisive goal. His first full European game against Red Star Belgrado, who just became European Champion, he played marvelous and scored, although we lost.

Still Anderlecht didn't learn from this mistake. After him many hughely talented players where wasted (e.x. the brother of Sunday Oliseh, Azubike). In the end the team didn't look for African talents anymore .

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Just saw Aad De Mos on Dutch TV. He was the one that gave Lamptey a chance at 16 years old at Anderlecht. He also insisted when he coached PSV to loan Lamptey. Now De Mos is technical director at KV Mechelen and Lamptey plays in the 2 division in Germany. Tonight De Mos said that it's very likely that Nii will play in Mechelen next year. After all the **** Lamptey has gone through professionally and personally this makes me feel soo damn good :happy: :proud:.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Let's hope it's true and he is treated well.. Unbelievable what he all went through the past years. With his talent he should have made a lot more out of his career ..

Half of his career is wasted and i truely hope he is still that good as when he left Belgium..

But then, is De Mos still at Mechelen next year ?! I hope so, because Lamptey on his best is someone where you are going to the stadium for :strong:

G

·
Lamptey played one season in Portugal for U. Leiria...and to be honest...in the few times he played...he didn't play that well!!!...

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
He has struggled with his form since he left PSV. This mainly due to personal problems and injuries. I'm sure that when he'll be reunited with De Mos he can come back to a decent level. I saw him at Anderlecht 10 years ago and I don't believe you can waste such enormous amounts of class.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Lamptey to China

The amazing career of former Ghanaian teenage prodigy Nii Lamptey has taken another twist with a move from the German second division to China.
Lamptey, who played for Belgian giants Anderlecht at just 16, has joined former Chinese champions Shandong, based on the north-east coast.

He has already made an impressive debut, helping the team thrash Sichuan 4-0 in the last 16 of the Cup, and received good reviews in the press.

The media said his passion, skill and good linking with his team-mates made the Shandong midfield much more effective.

The 27-year-old has done well to earn a year's contract as Shandong tried out five other foreign players as they sought to fill the fourth foreigner spot in their squad.

Black Stars call

Ghanaian media had suggested Lamptey was about to win a recall to the Black Stars side, having not played for them since a 8-2 thrashing in Brazil in 1996

The move to China put paid to that but Lamptey's main priority is to resurrect his club career after a difficult season at German side Greuther Furth where he made only 15 appearances, and all as a second-half substitute.

He had been tipped to make a return to Belgium at relegated Mechelen, joining up with coach Aad de Mos, who brought him to Anderlecht as a precocious teenager.

Lamptey justified all the expectation at first, impressing in Brussels, helping Ghana win the Under-17 World Cup in 1991 and featuring in the senior team which got to the Nations Cup final the following year.

After a few problems at Anderlecht, Lamptey had a good season at PSV Eindhoven, but his career then went into freefall as he followed a wandering existence around the globe.

He played a handful of games at Aston Villa and Coventry in England, Venezia in Italy, Ankaragucu in Turkey, Santa Fé in Argentina, Uniao Leiria in Portugal and then had two seasons at Greuther Furth

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
How depressing, China:depress:

I hoped to see him back in Belgium, but Mechelen's relegation probably blocked that move.

Actually found out this was my 3000th post :happy:

I really need to find myself a life :rolleyes:

[Edited by gOD on 04-06-2001 at 16:41]

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Well, let's hope someone picks him if he keeps performing good !

But China will probably have been the easiest move because of $$

Congrats with your 3000 post gOD. May many more follow.. And don't worry, football is part of life ;)

·
Registered
16,377 Posts
3000 posts?????? Man you are SICK :yuck:

Nice going gOD, you are a great poster with lots of knowledge, we are all happy to have you around. Don't worry about the joke, I am just recovering from reaching 3000 myself ;)

[Edited by Orange on 05-06-2001 at 08:55]

·
Registered
13,659 Posts
Ah, good old Nii Lamptey. Or Nil Lamptey as he was called in the Championship Manager 93/94 End Of Season Edition. He was an Aston Villa man that year I think. I used to sign him in every single one of my games. He was great! So it was nice to hear about the real life Nii after playing with him so many times. Quite a sad story. But football is full of similar stories. Depressing...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts