Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question to the French and those that do understand French. Do you think that La Marseillaise is too "offensive" and more of a war song than a National Anthem? Don't get me wrong: I love the Marseillaise, it's probably one of the most beautiful melodies, very motivating, and i have the goose-bumps each time i hear it ( on top of a few drops of tears...;):proud::stuckup: ) but i find it a little bit too offensive.

Specially when it says:
"Ils viennent jusque dans nos bras,
Egorger nos fils et nos campagnes"...

"Qu'un sang impur abreuve nos sillons"

Couldn't we change that with something a little bit less, let's say offensive? Those lines were perfectly fitting the situation during the period of the French Revoluation and the two World Wars, but now? I would prefer it to be a little more peaceful. So, what do you think?

P.S. To all those who want to listen to that beautiful anthem, download the version by the great Berlioz. A MASTER PIECE!:star: It is the original version, the way it was during the French Revolution of 1789!

P.S. I just hope this thread will not be closed as well because of the "Holly Rule" of no politics...:eek::rollani:

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Totally agreed, Payman.

I myself thought about it some years back and these 3 lines you mentioned, especially "Qu'un sang impur abreuve nos sillons" (contrary to our blanc-black-beur values) are totally out-of-date and sound openly rascist and untolerant nowadays.

Seing such words in Jean-Marie Le Stylo's ( :lala: ) mouth doesn't shock me, it fits with the personnage. But who has the right to blame Thuram or Zidane for intentionally omitting that part of the anthem. In their place, I know I would.

It's time for an update on the lyrics, obviously...

Btw - Don't worry for me though, I will sing the Brabançonne on May 14, not the Marseillaise. Tu vas ce qu'il en coûte de se mesurer aux p'tits Belges! :D

Ciao.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
this anthem is dead. its sense is dead. it belongs to a past that nobody in the french NT can recognize in.
when i see desailly, thuram, vieira, karembeu, etc, sing that anthem, i have a huge feeling of absurdity...
some of these players said that in school they were taught of their "ancêtres, les gaulois", they had a feeling of non-sense! and they're abslolutely right to feel that i mean !
so i don't understand why they sing that anthem !
i think they really sing it all since JM Le Stylo said that this team doesn't look like a real french NT but like the senegal one !

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can anyone fill me in about "Jean Marie Le Stylo"? Have I missed something is this the new nick of Le Pen?:confused:;)

Steph, c'est quoi les paroles de la Brabançonne? Never heard it...;):D:tongue::howler: But i don't think it can even come close to La Marseillaise!In fact no N.Anthem is more beautiful than La Marseillaise!:stuckup:;)

Hey, est-ce que Mr. le philosophe Van Damme a aidé pour la composition de la Brabançonne?;):D:D:D:D:D:tongue::howler::dielaugh:

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
thepretender , nobody in the french team can recognice in???
what about Micoud, Sagnol, Leboeuf, Dugarry, Petit, Candela, Barthez etc etc ... don´t you think that they recognise the french history?
once again you seems to be quite braindead...

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
San_Siro_1 said:
Can anyone fill me in about "Jean Marie Le Stylo"? Have I missed something is this the new nick of Le Pen?:confused:;)
Shuuut ! ( :lala: ) We have a pseudo to avoid censor and what are youy doing? Revealing its signification!? It's Jacquot and Le Stylo, alright?
:mad::ass::D;)
Steph, c'est quoi les paroles de la Brabançonne? Never heard it...;):D:tongue::howler: But i don't think it can even come close to La Marseillaise!In fact no N.Anthem is more beautiful than La Marseillaise!:stuckup:;)
http://belgium.fgov.be/abtb/history/fr_306010.htm
Hey, est-ce que Mr. le philosophe Van Damme a aidé pour la composition de la Brabançonne?;):D:D:D:D:D:tongue::howler::dielaugh:
Allez, vas manger des pommes, hein! :fero::ass::tongue:

·
International
9,526 Posts
still, it is a stirring song. Right up there with the American national anthem. Funny how revolutions always produce such good music;)

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
I agree with Fred that it has a majestic tune to it and it gives me goose pimples when I hear it. It is also true that in the context of the world today, the song is a little outdated. But national anthem as it goes, should be eternal. ;)

This thread is not bothering on politics, so it is ok.:)

paw;)

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I saw the match, it was only the corsican (Bastia) public that wistled the anthem because of their independent wishes...
they want to be more self ruled you know....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts