Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its usually a two horse race but it has been ages since we have seen Barcelona and Madrid having competitive teams in the same season, its usually one of these two totally out of shape while the other coasts through the title. When can pretty much say that its a single horse race.

Then you have the other teams that on paper have good squads but never manage to compete for the title, they either start strong or simply don´t start at all like Sevilla this season.

The only excitement seems to be when the transition occurs, when Barcelona lost form last season and Madrid started to regain their form, but that year up until this last one was the worst I have seen with both Madrid and Barcelona playing poor football, with Barcelona missing chance after chance to open the distance and Madrid also failing to close up until the very end with Sevilla simply choking as usual.

That made the excitement, but not the quality of the football played, it was actually the bad football displayed by both that made the season competitive.

So I wonder how high such a league can be rated when for years what we see is just an switch of powers between two teams that are never in form at the same time. Add the quality of referees and this league does not live up to the money spent.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Madrid also failing to close up until the very end
If Madrid beats Levante at home they are going to be the team with most points in the history of the league since the win gives you 3 points (10 years more or less).
Failing to close up until the very end?
Madrid won the league with 3 games yet to be played.
Real Madrid has been phenomenal.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If Madrid beats Levante at home they are going to be the team with most points in the history of the league since the win gives you 3 points (10 years more or less).
Failing to close up until the very end?
Madrid won the league with 3 games yet to be played.
Real Madrid has been phenomenal.
last season

The only excitement seems to be when the transition occurs, when Barcelona lost form last season and Madrid started to regain their form, but that year up until this last one was the worst I have seen with both Madrid and Barcelona playing poor football
Los Che Forever said:
There has been only ONE Barca/Real title race since 1999 (where the only two teams who can win the title are Barca and Real), that was 2005.
mmmm

2006/2007 1° Madrid 2° Barça
2005/2006 1° Barça 2° Madrid
2004/2005 1° Barça 2° Madrid

and all the times Madrid won without barcelona not finishing in second the gap in points between 1st and 2nd was even bigger, 10 points from Villa this season.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Read my sig. This Real Madrid is too strong.

A win against Levante and the record is set for best EVER La Liga season.

That tells it all.

·
Pepe the Beast
4,493 Posts
This really is a stupid thread.

Last year there was Sevilla, along with Madrid and Barcelona with a chance to win the title on the LAST day.

Valencia won it twice and Deportivo once since the 99-00 season.

Plus if you are trying to say the EPL has more challengers then you are wrong. Fact is that there is a correlation for teams that have won it since 2000, (which still holds up after this season) with Chelsea-Barcelona, Arsenal-Valencia, Madrid-Man United.

Only The Italian league seems to have more variety in their champions since 2000. So if anything you could argue Serie A has been the most open league.

mmmm

2006/2007 1° Madrid 2° Barça
2005/2006 1° Barça 2° Madrid
2004/2005 1° Barça 2° Madrid

and all the times Madrid won without barcelona not finishing in second the gap in points between 1st and 2nd was even bigger, 10 points from Villa this season.
Do you watch and follow the league or just look at Stats?

Sevilla came very close just last year.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Liternit, you are entitled to an opinion. But I think you talk bullshit.

If Barcelona's and Real Madrid's competition is so poor, how do you explain Villareal being in the Champions League semi-finals just a few years ago, and sides like Osasuna, Espanyol, Sevilla, Getafe for example enjoying success in UEFA cup, Sevilla were also quite good in CL this year, they were knocked out by an inch

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most people would disagree, I think the records have more to do with Sevilla and Barça´s form.

Last year there was Sevilla, along with Madrid and Barcelona with a chance to win the title on the LAST day.

Valencia won it twice and Deportivo once since the 99-00 season.

Do you watch and follow the league or just look at Stats?

Sevilla came very close just last year.
I´m talking from someone that actually followed the games, Barcelona had a huge lead and then Rijkaard decided to play 3-5-2 on the Champions League and with the exit they fell apart.

Yes Depor and Valencia won the league in the last decade, but still does not change that Madrid has almost the same number of titles if you combine all the winners. And it hardly changes that La Liga is mostly between Barcelona and Madrid, but the point is you hardly have both Madrid and Barcelona performing well in the same season, its either one or the other which makes the competition soft.

And I never mentioned EPL or Serie A, so I don´t know what you are babbling about.

ekim said:
Liternit, you are entitled to an opinion. But I think you talk bullshit.

If Barcelona's and Real Madrid's competition is so poor, how do you explain Villareal being in the Champions League semi-finals just a few years ago, and sides like Osasuna, Espanyol, Sevilla, Getafe for example enjoying success in UEFA cup, Sevilla were also quite good in CL this year, they were knocked out by an inch

How many times Madrid lost the lead this season? And I´m not discussing europe but the spanish league here, but lets not use the UEFA Cup as the messuring stick because thats not where the best teams play. The observation I made is that hardly there is a fierce competition between the winner and the second place and most important is that Barcelona and Madrid never seen to be at the same time in the top of their game.

Not having the best and second best team both in form is one of the reasons I never find La Liga as exciting as it should be.

Los Che Forever said:
But you said "two horse race" in 2006 we were only 1 point behind Madrid and in 2007 Sevilla were in the title race too, so my point still holds, it's only ever been them two by themselves in one year, 2005.
people were considering last season the worst season ever in La Liga, it was Barcelona blowing a huge lead with Sevilla always missing the many chances to take the lead, Madrid came out in the last stretch winning the games in a way nobody could explain and Barcelona simply collapse after getting kicked from CL. Plus Rijkaard kept trying to play Iniesta and Xavi on the sides on a 3-5-2 formation.

So your point hits watter much like last time you claimed Barcelon/Madrid combination only happened once since 99.

·
1st Tier Poster
50,807 Posts

A win against Levante and the record is set for best EVER La Liga season.

That tells it all.
it's a good indication of how weak this league is at the moment if even this quite mediocre Real Madrid side can do a record-breaking season

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
it's a good indication of how weak this league is at the moment if even this quite mediocre Real Madrid side can do a record-breaking season
an ac milan fan has no right whatsoever to say that to see how crap you guys played this season

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Barcelona won 18 games, tied 10 and lost 9
Depor won 15 games, tied 7 and lost 15
Valencia won 14, tied 6 and lost 17
Atletico won 19, tied 7 and lost 11
Sevilla won 19, tied 4 and lost 14

an ac milan fan has no right whatsoever to say that to see how crap you guys played this season
they still faired better then Valencia, but I don´t see how thats the point. Its not like anybody claimed EPL or Serie A were better, we just pointed how there is very little competition in La Liga with Barça and Madrid being on and off.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Barcelona won 18 games, tied 10 and lost 9
Depor won 15 games, tied 7 and lost 15
Valencia won 14, tied 6 and lost 17
Atletico won 19, tied 7 and lost 11
Sevilla won 19, tied 4 and lost 14

they still faired better then Valencia, but I don´t see how thats the point. Its not like anybody claimed EPL or Serie A were better, we just pointed how there is very little competition in La Liga with Barça and Madrid being on and off.
thank you for explaining but still, you know..

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah I know and smoke it n die slow is a lie as well.

·
Registered
23,264 Posts
You have to remember that mid table La Liga teams are much stronger than mid table premiership teams or mid table Serie A teams. Thats why usually the teams choke often in the premiera...

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As i said before, it's never just Barca and Madrid.

31 Real Madrid CF
18 FC Barcelona
09 Atlético de Madrid (includes Atlético Aviación)
08 Athletic de Bilbao
06 Valencia CF
02 Real Sociedad (San Sebastián)
01 Real Betis (Sevilla)
RC Deportivo de La Coruña
Sevilla FC

And you can´t tell me last season Madrid and Barcelona played good football can you? If you actually visited the Madrid forum you would see that 99% of the fans could not stand the football displayed and even though Capello won he got booted because of the football Madrid played.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
Most people would disagree, I think the records have more to do with Sevilla and Barça´s form.
Sorry but this shit is too funny. :D

How does breaking the points have ANYTHING TO DO with those two teams? Am I insane or do we play 19 games against Barcelona and 19 games against Seville?

Incase you haven't noticed, we managed to break that record by having won most of our games against most of La Liga's sides.

HAHAHAHAH. Barca'a and Seville's form. :D

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
You won many games because you had Casillas and Van Nistelrooy saving your asses most of the time rather than playing well. The amount of times you got outplayed yet won is uncountable. Kudos for winning them though.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts