Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess it's that time of the year again, so to get the debate started, below is an article from FOXSPORTS....

Who do you think should be the La Liga MVP?
Paul Cannon / Fox Soccer Channel
25/04/2005

Who would you make your La Liga MVP this season?
Should it be one of Barcelona's champs-elect, a new star firing an unfancied side to the top (check Villarreal's Riquelme or Sevilla's Baptista), one of Madrid's galacticos (absolutely none of whom have been included here!), or even — pause for dramatic effect — a goalkeeper!?

Here are some ideas:

Name: Deco
Club: FC Barcelona
Position: Center Midfield

What he does: Combines a bulldog spirit, aggression in the tackle and big lungs with succinct passing and surging forward runs.

For: Whenever he's been missing in action Barcelona have struggled, particularly against Madrid away, when Real's aggression won the midfield battle. After having won the Champions League last season with Porto his passion has not dimmed and he has never been afraid to do the dirty work in the center to enable Ronaldinho the space he craves.

Against: Has been ball-greedy at times and just like Jacques Cousteau, the boy loves a dive.

Name: Iker Casillas
Club: Real Madrid
Position: Keeper

What he does: Creates a strange forcefield around the Real Madrid goal.

For: Single-handedly keeping Real Madrid in the race for the title with his safe hands and extraordinary agility.

Against: A goalie, MVP?

Name: Carles Puyol
Position: Defender

What he does: Diving from tree to tree in a little loincloth, shouting ah-aha-ah-ah-aha-ah-ah!!!!'. No, that's Tarzan... Oh, okay, he tackles people.

For: Leading a Barcelona defense which has, curiously, not a single other man with defensive inclinations to become the tightest unit in La Liga, shipping only 25 goals in 33 games. Some feat.

Against: Is liable to steam in to unnecessary challenges. As Rutger Hauer once said in the film Merlin: "Some people like to think before they act... I like to act before I think!" For Rutger Hauer, read Puyol. And he's been dodgy at defending set pieces. As Real Madrid and Chelsea found out to their delight.

Name: Juan Roman Riquelme
Club: Villarreal
Position: Midfield

What he does: He floats like a butterfly and stings like an imperial scorpion cross-bred with a black widow. Hideous corruption of a sublime metaphor by Mohammed Ali, but you get the point. The ex-Boca Juniors player dictates the rhythm of a game at his own pace, brewing several cups of maté tea on the halfway-line before choosing his moment to make the killer blow.

For: How many times this season have we witnessed his deliciously weighted through balls for Diego Forlan? And the Argentinian playmaker can also score himself, 13 times this season, in fact.

Against: Two words — 'unfashionable club'.

Name: Ronaldinho
Position: Striker

What he does: What doesn't he do? He's magic, the greatest entertainer in the game.

For: His flicks, his dribbles, his passing and his lethal shooting have been the highlight of a visit to the Nou Camp all season. His smiley demeanor, his positive attitude. His unbelievable goals in big matches against Milan, Chelsea and Madrid. His self-effacement, 'I'm a nice-ugly guy.'

Against: The sheer obviousness of the vote. He's already got the World Player of the Year award, the cheeky Brazilian genius.

Name: Samuel Eto'o
Position: Striker

What he does: Scores every game.

For: Whenever Barca needs him, the Cameroon marksman seems to strike. His pace has had defenders retreating like French troops all year long. Twenty-one goals are testament to his exceptional form.

Against: Has missed several sitters in recent weeks, especially in the super-clasico against Madrid.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Well first of all we have to define what the term "MVP" means. Most Valuable Player (to his team). In other words, the team is usually built around him and/or heavily rely on his services.

Barcelona have had many players who have been extremely valuable to them this season, but take three of them out (Deco, Eto'o and Ronaldinho), and would the team really COLLAPSE? Not as much as Villarreal, Betis or Sevilla would collapse without Riquelme, Oliveira and Baptista respectively.

I would give the MVP to any of the following players as they all deserve it (in no particular order):

• Riquelme:

He has simply elevated Villarreal to the next level. Has turned Diego Forlan and Jose Mari into predators. :D 14 goals and 11 assists. Pure class.

• Ricardo Oliveira:

Betis have shipped a lot of goals at the back, but going forward they've been one of the most exciting teams in the league- Oliveira's 18 league goals playing a major role.

He could be Real Betis' first Pichichi since 1941.

• Puyol:

Puyol has been Barcelona's most valuable player because their defense would be trully mediocre without him. His leadership qualities have also rallied Barcelona to most probably their first title in 6 years.

• Casillas:

Without Iker Casillas, Madrid would be fighting to qualify for the Champions League, let alone challenging for the league title.

• Baptista:

He has 17 league goals this season, and no other Sevilla player has scored more than 3 goals :eek:. Talk about depending on one player. :D

Other players such as Fernando Torres, Kameni, Joaquin and Ivan De La Pena have also had fantastic seasons.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
barca is the team of the year with out a doubt, but roman has to be la liga's player of the year, look at what he's working with and good one el fenomeno " Jose Mari into a predator " :D

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Riquelme, Casillas or Deco are the best candidates. I don't know why the article mentions Ronaldinho, this season he hasn't been that great (individually).

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
the only reason i wouldnt pick a barca player is cause, barca has a unity where ronaldinho , deco, eto'o :D my fav on the team, xavi, puyol..... all play as a team they are all stars not just one player carrying the team...althought if i had to pick i'd go with eto'o .... but im baised when it comes to roman but i really think he deserves it this year... he's not working with much at villarreal and he's done alot

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
No Eto'o? He has shown himself to be a fantastic striker, and with learning to have cold blood all the time he would unbelievable, maybe the best.

I think it should be Roman or Eto'o myself. Roman probably for reminding us of his Boca days in the 0 - 3 match vs Barça. It's clear I think that Roman is the most important player for his team of any team in the league. Teams like Atletico frankly plays better without having to pass to Torres every single time their midfielder get the ball, same when Joaquin is just another Betis player and not the man which every pass out of defence must go to.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have always believed that an MVP should be someone who consistently turns the game for his team - that is why I reckon it comes down to a choice between Roman, Eto'o and Casillas.

Btw, why doesn't the Spanish FA award an official 'MVP' title??

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
Its gotta be Casillas. Hes the only consistent Merengue throughout the entire season and without him we would be struggling to qualify for the CL :proud:

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Ivan De La Pena :star: ;) ... and if not him Deco

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
For me it is Perea !!!

He is far the best Defender in Spain !!!

Husky

PS: Forlan played also a great season!

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
Best goalkeeper: Casillas
Best defender: Puyol
Best midfielder: Deco
Best forward: Ronaldinho/Eto'o

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Laporta said:
Best goalkeeper: Casillas
Best defender: Puyol
Best midfielder: Deco
Best forward: Ronaldinho/Eto'o
C´mon, also Valdés, you want it, don´t be shy.;)

Koeman4 said:
Here we go... get out of the closet... PERICO! :D
:stuckup: Visca Espanyol!! The real representative of catalan values!!:tongue:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts