Sevilia v Espanyol
Real v Betis

:cool:

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
view on upcoming round

MADRID, January 25 (www.DailySoccer.com)

Two clashes catch the eye this weekend as Real Madrid play Real Betis at the Bernebeu and Deportivo travel to the Basque country to face Athletic Bilbao.

Vicente Del Bosque's Real slipped up slightly last weekend after only managing a 1-1 draw at Malaga. In truth it was all they deserved after creating very few opportunities of note. Roberto Carlos did, however, stamp his class on the match with a fine cross for Fernando Morientes' second-half equaliser.

The coach will see this as just a minor blip in Real's otherwise fine form. A team can't win all their matches and Malaga is a notoriously difficult place for the big teams to go with the likes of Barcelona, Deportivo and Celta only picking up a draw from La Roseleda.

Betis enter the match on the back of a 1-1 draw with Espanyol last week when striker Joao Tomas netted a late equaliser for Juande Ramos' side but despite the forward's strike, Betis still lack a 20-goal a season man. What a cruel blow it was when leading striker Gaston Casas was ruled out for several months through injury. One senses that Betis may be starting to find their level and the previous months of over achievement may be about to come to an end. Real should win this by at least two goals.

Deportivo were far from convincing in last week's 1-0 home victory over Las Palmas but the important thing was that they stopped the rot. Their dreadful away record has really been their undoing of late and unless it is addressed soon Javier Irureta's side will continue to slip. This weekend's match is a clash between an Athletic side who have underachieved at home and a Depor side you can't string any results together away.

Jupp Heynckes' side are fresh from a 2-1 Copa del Rey victory against Real in midweek but last weekend were thrashed 3-0 by improving Mallorca. They are one of the league's many inconsistent sides so predicting a winner from this match is like trying to guess which lottery numbers are likely to come up.

Slightly easier to predict is the match between Barcelona and Osasuna at Camp Nou. Barca will be seething after last week's shock defeat to Rayo Vallecano and Miguel Lotina's side may well face the backlash.

The Catalans will have been boosted this week by the news that Rivaldo wants to spend the rest of his career at the club. The Brazilian is constantly linked with moves to Inter Milan, AC Milan and Juventus but this may finally put a stop to the constant speculation. If the club are to make a sustained title challenge the thought still persists that Rivaldo will be key to their hopes.

Celta Vigo have a winnable looking match against Real Sociedad but many would have said that their previous three games against Rayo, Osasuna and Tenerife were also winnable. The fact is that they collected just three points from these three games meaning a great chance was wasted to put real pressure on leaders Real Madrid. The spine of the side looks good with experienced Argentine defender Eduardo Berizzo in defence, the excellent young Peter Luccin in midfield, the mercurial Alexander Mostovoi in the whole and wily Brazilian striker Catanha up-front. They also have good players around them but for some reason Celta seem to drop points when everyone is expecting them to pick them up comfortably. Coach Victor Fernandez must be finding it hard to put his finger on exactly what is wrong with his side.

Who would have thought that Valencia could lose 2-1 at home to Valladolid last weekend? If there was a home banker in the fixture list, it surely would have been this clash. Just as coach Rafa Benitez thought that the Ches were hitting form they go and lose two on the trot. Rather like Betis, Valencia need a 20-goal a season man and until one is found they will carry on drawing and losing matches that they really should win. They play a Las Palmas side who gave a good account of themselves at Deportivo last week, but still came away with a 1-0 defeat.

Elsewhere Alaves meet Mallorca in an intriguing clash while Sevilla face Espanyol.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Playing on Saturday, January 26:
Celta 2-1 Real Sociedad:The Basque club has deserved more lately and will soon begin the journey up from the bottom. However it seems Celta (like always) have turned the heat up in the 2nd half of the season and i expect a hard fought win for them.

Las Palmas 1-1 Valencia:The Islanders are tough at home, as you all know i was in Gran Canaria and met a few Las Palmas socios. they have a great home support but somehow i cant accept that Valencia are in a slump. It will be a draw.

Valladolid 2-1 Malaga:Going for the home win, just cause Juanele did the opposite (BTW thanks for reminding me ;) ).

Atletic 0-2 Deportivo:Match of the week? Probably. Depor with a HORRIBLE away record while Atletic have learned how to play at home. It can only end one way right? No i dont think so. Depor gotto pull themselves together and start winning!

Alaves 0-2 Mallorca:Iam going for another upset here. Alaves loosing at Rayo? Thats a BIG sign of them having a rough time. Mallorca on the other hand can beat anyone on a good day and their defence is good enough to BLANK Alaves.

Villarreal 2-1 Tenerife:This is a clear homewin for me, at least thats what iwould start predicting. Villareal with injuries and all probably but its one of the few safe games of this round for me...

Barcelona 2-0 Osasuna:Home win, although 8 times the money for an away win is not as crazy as it seems....

Zaragoza 1-0 Rayo Vallecano:Everyone knows how i feel about Rayo....PURE TRASH! Its another simple home win for me!

Sevilia 0-0 Espanyol:Tough one, Espanyol still suffering from low self-esteem? I dont know, but since i have so few draws i'll go for one here.

Real 3-1 Betis:No motivation needed ;)

Thats all for this week!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Is this only a prediction thread(for regular players) or...................?

I'm kinda new, so I don't wanna be partybreaker..............

uups :eek: ...........I've already did that

·
Registered
526 Posts
Micke said:
Playing on Sunday, January 27:
Valladolid v Malaga
No prediction here? LOL. Well I'll go for Malaga to win here.

Atletic 0-2 Deportivo:Match of the week? Probably. Depor with a HORRIBLE away record while Atletic have learned how to play at home. It can only end one way right? No i dont think so. Depor gotto pull themselves together and start winning!
I'd go for the safe bet and predict a draw.

Alaves 0-2 Mallorca:Iam going for another upset here. Alaves loosing at Rayo? Thats a BIG sign of them having a rough time. Mallorca on the other hand can beat anyone on a good day and their defence is good enough to BLANK Alaves.
Big upset? Mallorca is horrible but Alaves is a bunch of hackers. Not sure who'd go for here. However, I don't think Mallorca could get more than a draw here. Alaves to win.

Barcelona 2-0 Osasuna:Home win, although 8 times the money for an away win is not as crazy as it seems....
Probably the safest bet for me this weekend. Barça with the easy win.

Sevilia 0-0 Espanyol:Tough one, Espanyol still suffering from low self-esteem? I dont know, but since i have so few draws i'll go for one here.
Sevilia, Micke? Sevilla already has beaten Espanyol once this season, I predict and hope for the double. Sevilla with the win.

Real 3-1 Betis:No motivation needed ;)
Tough game for me. Who to root for? Truth is that I can't stand either of these teams. I hope it ends up in a draw. Probably a win for Madrid though.

Hasta pronto,
Juan

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Plotinus: Everyone are welcome of course :) There IS a prediction game going on for a few people but the predictions are for everyone :)

Juanele:I see you dont really like Alavés...And the spelling of Sevilla must be blamed on colocolo whom i copied the fixtures from ;)...Also, thanks for reminding me about Valladolids game ;)

·
Registered
280 Posts
originally posted by Micke

Plotinus: Everyone are welcome of course There IS a prediction game going on for a few people but the predictions are for everyone
Thanks for the clarification Micke,

Celta--R.Sociedad 2:2

Celta isn't very impressive lately and R.Soc. lost their game against Alaves in a very stupid way(not being able to kill the game after huge chances) so they'll be desperate for redemption
that's why I'll go for draw

Las Palmas--Valencia 1:2

The real problem playing on those islands is that it is probably a "paradise " surrounding and who's gonna play when you get in that mood:D .........but I'll still go for a win cos we are desperate for redemption too

·
94,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spanish league result on Saturday:

Celta Vigo 3 (Mostovoi 58, 65, Edu 90) Real Sociedad 1 (Khokhlov 21)

;)

·
94,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
www.futvol.com

LAS PALMAS, 0 - VALENCIA, 1
Mista pone el gol y Cañizares el candado
Un inapelable zurdazo de Mista bastó al Valencia para romper su negativa racha de resultados, sumar su tercera victoria lejos de casa y asomar de nuevo la cabeza. La Unión lo intentó todo para empatar, pero los 'che' cerraron la puerta a cal y canto después de su tempranero gol.

Mista with the Goal, Cañizarez with the padlock...With a hard left footer from Mista it was enough for Valencia to break their negative results run, gave them their third win away from home, giving them some breathing room. Union Las Palmas tried it all to tie the game, but the Che shut the door against all odds after their early gol !!

;)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Valladolid-Malaga...
No prediction here? LOL. Well I'll go for Malaga to win here.

the score ended up 0-0. Sort of expected I guess

Athletic Bilbao-Deportivo...
I'd go for the safe bet and predict a draw.

Bingo. Ended 1-1

Alaves-Mallorca...
Big upset? Mallorca is horrible but Alaves is a bunch of hackers. Not sure who'd go for here. However, I don't think Mallorca could get more than a draw here. Alaves to win.

LOL. One of the big ones in which I got wrong. Alaves 0-4 Mallorca. It could not have happend to a nicer team.

Barcelona-Osasuna...
Probably the safest bet for me this weekend. Barça with the easy win.

Oops! Barcelona 0-1 Osasuna. Losing at home to Osasuna!?! Incredible.

Sevilla-Espanyol...
Sevilia, Micke? Sevilla already has beaten Espanyol once this season, I predict and hope for the double. Sevilla with the win.

At least I got this one right. Sevilla 3-0 Espanyol. Reyes with another goal today :D

Madrid-La Pocilga...
Tough game for me. Who to root for? Truth is that I can't stand either of these teams. I hope it ends up in a draw. Probably a win for Madrid though.

Has yet to be played. God what do I wish for this game? Both teams to relegate, he he. Realistically it would be better for Betis to win to make the league closer but I cannot, nor will ever, root for La Pocilga de Sevilla to win.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Robban said:
Congartulations to a good peformence, Juanele!:)
Gracias. But are you congratulating me for Sevilla's performance or for my predictions? ;)

Anyhow it is a mixed day for me. One one hand Sevilla won but on the other Barça lost.

Robban,

I have read a lot of the comments on the Barcelona board and there is a lot of overreaction going on there. Of course it is expected since Barcelona is a team that should be at the top of the charts and they lost at home to Osasuna. There seems to be a lot of theories on why Barcelona is struggling. My opinion is that there are three problems.

First, Barcelona has too much politics involved. I get the impression that there is so much postering and political retoric that Barça has forgotten how to be a futbol club.

Second, there is no continuity in the club. You will always have up and down results when the lineups continually change from day to day. There doesn't seem to be a base for the team.

Third, the players that were transfered in are frankly not good enough for a club like Barça. Yes they were players that covered weak points of the team but they are not the standard for a top team. These players should be going to the Zaragozas of the world not to Barça.

And while I am on the topic, the cantera of the club has been misused for a while now. Barcelona has the most the players from their youth system playing in first division clubs around Europe. Even more than such famous youth farms like Ajax. But none of these players (or hardly any of them) play for the senior team of FC Barcelona. Incredible waste of resources.

·
Registered
526 Posts
And a tie it is. Real Madrid 1-1 Real Betis

Excellent. Too bad the other teams behind Madrid screwed up as usual. Looks like Real Madrid is leading a charmed season (when they lose points so do the other challengers).

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Juanele said:

And a tie it is. Real Madrid 1-1 Real Betis

Excellent. Too bad the other teams behind Madrid screwed up as usual. Looks like Real Madrid is leading a charmed season (when they lose points so do the other challengers).
Juanele,

One of Barca's titles with Van Gaal was like that, don't think you complained then. ;)

Seriously, its been an odd season, not one team has showed any bit of consistency.

well, all the more exciting i guess....

I mean, who on earth would have predicted Barca losing to Osasuna in Nou Camp? or Alaves conceding FOUR at home!! :eek:

·
94,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Real Madrid ahead of the pack

Real Madrid maintained their three point lead at the top of the Spanish first division after Deportivo La Coruna and Alaves both failed to take advantage of the 28-times champions only drawing 1-1 with Real Betis on Sunday.
Deportivo could only draw 1-1 at fellow championship challengers Athletic Bilbao while Alaves crashed 4-0 at home to Real Mallorca.
Real Madrid lead the league with 40 points from 22 games. Celta Vigo, who beat bottom-club Real Sociedad 3-1 on Saturday, are second with 37 points, just ahead of Deportivo on goal difference.
However, Real Madrid coach Vicente Del Bosque admitted that the gap over their rivals could have been larger if his team had not dropped their guard.
"The team played well throughout all of the game, but we took it easy in the final minutes and it meant we only got a draw," conceded Del Bosque.
Betis defender Juanito Gutierrez headed an equaliser two minutes from time after Spanish international midfielder Ivan Helguera had put Madrid ahead just before the break.
"Nobody likes dropping points in the final straight but we thought we had the game won, which we didn't, and we paid the price," added Del Bosque.
Helguera's goal came after he won the ball on the edge of the Betis box and then played a brilliant one-two with Zinedine Zidane, before finishing off the move with a flourish.
Iker Casillas then came to Madrid's rescue midway through the second half by saving a controversially-awarded penalty from Gabriel Amato.
Argentine winger Santiago Solari looked to have secured all three points for Madrid after 77 minutes after finding the net with a header only to see the goal disallowed.
"I couldn't have fouled anyone becuse there was no one near me. But these things happen sometimes on the pitch, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it despite the fact that it would have meant we would have been five points clear," commented Solari.
Nevertheless, Madrid maintained unbeaten home record in the league this season and have now gone 10 league games in total without losing.
Deportivo's normally prolific Brazilian midfielder Djalminha got his first goal of the season after 63 minutes but Athletic took less than two minutes to cancel out the lead with Santi Ezquerro getting the equaliser from close range.
Real Mallorca's Roberto Losada started his first game for nearly 15 months, after being out injured for more than a year, and quickly showed Mallorca what they had been missing.
The midfielder found the net after just seven minutes at Alaves, sending home a Alberto Luque cross.
Luque himself was on target five minutes later and second half goals from Losada and Alejandro Camapano added to the agony and completed the 4-0 rout of the Basques.
Yugoslav international striker Savo Milosevic has been away from Real Zaragoza for 18 months, after joining Serie A side Parma, but he celebrated the first game since his return on loan two weeks ago with two goals in Zaragoza's 3-2 win over Rayo Vallecano.
The victory ended struggling Rayo's six-game unbeaten streak and provided a winning start to Luis Costa's reign as the Zaragoza coach, after his unpopular predecessor Txetxu Rojo was sacked on Monday.
Pundits are predicting that Barcelona coach Charly Rexach could soon follow Rojo into the wilderness.
Rexach and club president Joan Gaspart, felt the anger of the Catalan club's passionate supporters after they lost 1-0 at home to Osasuna.
The spiral towards defeat and disdain started after 73 minutes when Philip Cocu was sent off and the Barcelona fans turned on their team with howls of derision and white hankerchiefs being waved.
Rexach's discomfort was increased six minutes later when Osasuna midfielder Alfredo Sanchez got the only goal of the game and the Nou Camp faithful ended the game by cheering loudly, if somewhat ironically, for the visitors.
The fans anger spilled over into the Barcelona presidental box after the game with supporters breaking down the door, attacking a cameraman and turning a fire extinguisher on the occupants demanding Gaspart's resignation.
Gaspart escaped the fury and the foam because he had gone down to the dressing room for an immediate meeting with Rexach.
"I told him (Gaspart) that if he thought I was responsible for this situation then I was happy to leave, but he told me to forget about such things. He told me he is not thinking about sacking me or asking for my resignation," said a beleagured Rexach later.
Sunday's defeat leaves Barcelona in eighth place and comes just a week after five Barca players were accused of being involved in an "orgy" the night before last weekend's 2-1 defeat to Rayo Vallecano.

Hala Madrid !!!

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Alaves - Mallorca: 0-4 :eek:

What were they doing out there? Okay, my fave Spanish team is Valencia, but after that UEFA-cup final, I have a bit of a soft spot for Alaves :( . I hope they get that CL-ticket this year, they really deserve it.

greetz,
binswhacker

1 - 17 of 17 Posts