Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
First Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, does anyone here know more about this player from King Faisals ? Appearently he is a striker/attacking midfielder and he will train for a week with the Hamburg team. He was recommended by our new assistant coach Ralf Zumdick, who was a former club and NT coach in Ghana. Anyone with more informations on this guy, is he good ?

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/soccer/artikel.php?ID=49702

·
Registered
548 Posts
I haven't seen Kwadwo Poku play. However, I'm reliably informed by that he his a gem. He just finished top scorer in the Premier league in Ghana playing for King Faisal. I believe he his cast in the mould of a less "offensive" Slyvian Wiltord. He should be worth the gamble if you ask me. Your assistant coach Ralf Zumdick can allude to this since it was him who unearthed this player during his coaching stint at Asante Kotoko.

·
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information, Valdano !
So Poku may be played as some kind of 'withdrawn forward' if i understand you right ? Do you know if he is fast ?
BTW, whats his real forename, i read 'Kwadwo', 'Kwadjo' and also 'Koju' ... ?!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Quotes from some match reports I could find:

Back from recess Coach Hans Dieter-Schmidt introduced Akwasi Ansah for Godwin Ablordey and in the 49th minute Kwadwo Poku took to flight but watched on with anguish as his shot flew across the face of goal with nobody in sight to connect home.

Then in the 31st minute, Kwadwo Poku, operating at perhaps a higher wavelength, took on and rounded up Godfred Yeboah, Joseph Hendricks and Daniel Yeboah but Quainoo put his whole body in the way of the ball to concede a corner.

I think we can infer from these match reports excerpts that he is pretty quick. I know for a fact he isn't the quickest player playing in the Ghanaian league (off the top of my head I can name two players who considered speedsters) but I doubt he a slouch. I'd stick my neck out and say he's quicker than the average footballer. I think the only "weakness" Kwadwo may have is his physique (note "weakness"). I'm aware Germans usually like big strong, intimidating forwards ......cast in the mould of the Hrubeschs, Jankers, Koller etc. However forwards like Gerd Muller, Fritz Walter, Lars Ricken and Oliver Neuville have been successful in the Bundesliga despite being 5'9 or lower. So I believe a chance can be taken on Kwadwo Poku.

Oh and by the way his name is Kwadwo Poku.....not Kojo.....or Kwadjo..... Kwadwo is the correct spelling of Poku's first name based on his ethnic group, the Ashanti. Other ethnic groups spell their "Kwadwo" Kojo or Kwadjo.

·
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The trial was cancelled by Poku's club, they didn't allow him to train with the Hamburg team. Seems that his club fears that he might fail and so they won't get money for him ( the club offered Hamburg to loan him for 6 months but Hamburg wanted to have a look at him first before spending any money...).

·
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Valdano said:
That's interesting.......However, I've heard Hamburg is after another enterprising Ghanaian attacker who goes by the name of Benard Dong Bortey. You aware of this?
I read this today. Never heard of him, too ... ;). Is this guy any good ?

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have seen this dude play, numerous times. Rothose trust me, he's a talent. Benard "Dong" Bortey is one the most talented young Ghanaian players around. In addition, he's got some international experience too. He's an offensive attacker. Loves to run with the ball and his quick too. He's SURELY worth a trial.

·
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Valdano : Thanks again for the infos. If Zumdick thinks that this guy is worth a trial, he must be good, though he seemed to have failed in other trials ( e.g. in turkey..). Do you know how old Bortey is ?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Dong-Bortey shouldn't be more than 22 because he featured for Ghana's under 17 side in FIFA's World Under 17 tournament in New Zealand back 1999. Dong Bortey scored 4 goals in the tournament which also showcased some enterprising young players like Adriano (Brazil and Inter Milan), Landon Danovan (USA), Reuben Oliveira (Uruguay plays in Italy now I think) Michael Essien (Ghana and Lyon) just to mention a few.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts