Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ghanian national coach has send away the African player of the year after yesterday's 0-0. He claims kuffour's bring the team out of balance. What the defender has actually done isn't clear, yet.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
This starts to get ridiculous. After Said of Egypt and Ouaddou of Morocco now Kuffur? Do these guys think they are on vacation or something?

Either the coaches are too strict or the players step way over the line. And I believe its the later since it is quite risky for all three coaches to continue the tournament without one of their best central defenders each!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Ghana eject unruly Bayern star Kuffour from Nations Cup

SEGOU, Mali, Jan 22 (AFP)
Ghana on Monday ejected key defender Samuel Kuffour from the African Nations Cup for "real indiscipline", coach Fred Osam-Duodu told AFP.
"I took the decision to send him home because of real indiscipline," Osam-Duodu said here. "He has shown he is not a changed man by coming here to destablise my team."
Kuffour plays for German and European champions Bayern Munich, but instead of positively influencing the team he has been accused of destroying the team's harmony.
"This is a boy who calls me 'father'," Osam-Duodu said. "I raised him up to be what he is today only for him to want to destroy what I have worked hard to build."
The veteran coach and Kuffour had first clashed on the eve of Mali 2002. The problem between coach and player was only resolved when Kuffour apologised for scathing comments made against the coach on BBC Radio.
"If he had not apologised, he would not have come to Mali with this team," added Osam-Duodu, who admitted Kuffour's departure would not affect his team at this tournament.
"We won't miss him," he told AFP.
"During our training tours in Europe and Africa we made our mark without him. He was not a part of this team in the first place.
"I only thought his presence will encourage the other boys but it has been the complete opposite. He was not a changed man at all," he added.
Osam-Duodu added: "Against Morocco yesterday (Monday), we played one of our worst games yet because the players in the defence were always trying to pass the ball to Kuffour instead of playing their normal game.
"We have just come back from training now and the spirit of this team is up again after his departure."
Top Ghana officials told AFP the Bayern star defender was a "bad influence" on the young players.
"He has continued his fight for his friend, CK Akonnor, over the captainship of the Black Stars," one official told AFP.
"We gave him (Kuffour) the captainship of this team and he turned it down because he does not want to be seen as somebody who snatched the leadership of the team from his good friend. This was his personal decision and we respected it.
"However, we could then not understand why he came to camp and started bossing everyone around. He instigated the other players to wear whatever they like in camp not minding the fact that we have a kitting contract with adidas," he said.
"He even went to the extent of confronting our sports minister over money. It was he who told some of the players not to go to the stadium to watch the opening match in our group between South Africa and Burkina Faso.
"It was just too much for us to bear."

·
Registered
17,530 Posts
Simply great for us :D. I don't care what he has done, but I'm glad he is back in Munich now ;).

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
In your place I'd worry if a player of my team was such an a*shole. But then, most of Bayern Munich players are a*sholes so you are used to it I suppose.

Its still no game coming to a forum which could have Ghana fans and talking like that. But tact was never your area, right Frank?

·
Registered
17,530 Posts
How ridiculous is this???
Talking about tact and saying that Bayern players are mostly as$holes :D. I mean that coming from a kid that doesn't know more than 3 or 4 Bayern players at all with his little knowledge ;).

I don't see anything wrong in my post, I just stated that I am happy he is back. That means I think he is an important player for my team, why would that annoy anyone? :rollani:

Btw, how come you judge a player without knowing the facts? You don't even know if he did what the coach says. Of course that goes for me too, so I won't say he is innocent just because I read something about this in the internet today... :angel:

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Ooooohhhhh... man,that hurt... Frank, dont be so mean on me.

You said "I dont care what he did"-that is simply tactless and classless. Ghana fans could be in this forum, not exactly something they would want to hear, right? But then again, as I said, class and tact are two basic things you lack.

I'd like to see how would you feel if someone was acting like you when Effenberg showed the finger at WC94'.

·
Registered
17,530 Posts
You didn't have to copy your first post again, I don't see anything new here :rollani:.

I still don't see what that has to do with disrespect against Ghana fans :confused:. I'm sure there aren't any new insights since 20 minutes ago, so how come you know he did anything wrong?

And the Effenberg incident is a pretty stupid (not that I imagined something better :undecide: ) comparison since he insulted the fans and no fan would have said that was right... :rollani:

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
adriaan said:
Frank, Amo, gentlemen, please let us behave as civilized men here.:angel: :neutral: :angel:

ADRIAAN

Indeed please :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
The side of the tale from Samuel.

From BBCSport
Wednesday, 23 January, 2002, 14:28 GMT
Angry Kuffour seeks answers

Ghana's star defender Samuel Osei Kuffour is demanding answers over his shock dismissal from the Nations Cup team.
Ghana coach Fred Osam-Duodu sent the Bayern Munich player packing on Tuesday, saying that he had "broken the rules of the camp."

Duodu claimed that Kuffour had behaved in an "unruly" way towards officials in the Ghana camp, and had disrupted training.

The BBC Africa Player of the Year was then sent back to Ghana.

The BBC World Service spoke to Kuffour when he arrived in Accra, he said he was disappointed by Duodu's decision and felt his sacking was unjustified.

"I'm very disappointed because there is no reason, they should call me and talk to me but no one talked to me," the controversial defender said.

"They just said take your passport and go home."

Kuffour added that the incident had left him uncertain about his international future.

"It is not yet decided, but it is my national team and I am always there for them, but I am disappointed," he said.

Kuffour also denied claims that he had been disrespectful to a minister.

"No that is not right. I spoke to the minister after the match and we get on very well, everything was fine between us," he said.

Fans disappointed

"I told him that although we couldn't win on the day, the team had done their best.

It was later that night that Kuffour was asked to leave.

"I told the coach I was disappointed because my fans will not see me in this tournament anymore," Kuffour added.

The defender, who has helped Bayern to the European and World club titles, also denied leading revolts over the team uniform and the food.

He said it had been the whole team and not just him who had made complaints.

And asked about claims that he had broken the team curfew Kuffour said he had simply gone out to call his wife.
---
paw;)

·
Registered
548 Posts
A very delicate issue here. I must commend "Osama" "the bull" Duodu aka the old Fox for stamping his authority. Indiscipline musn't be tolerated in the Black Stars camp even if the culprit is an "untouchable" like Kuffour.

However, Kuffour, and most of his current colleagues in the BS have some legitimate concerns. These concerns include accomodation situation in Mali, bonuses and the quality of kits currently being used by Mali.

Anyway, more information on the entire saga will be revealed in the very near future.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts