Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Bruce:

Please buy Claudio Reyna some nice Korean Souvenirs, get him a commemorative program for the 2002 World Cup to go with his program from France '98, and then find him a nice spot on the bench from which he can watch the rest of the games without hurting us! He disappeared for three games in '98 and one in '02. He might be great in the Premier League of in Scotland, but he cannot handle the World Cup. Claudio is not the WORST player to ever wear a US Nat's jersey, but he is without a doubt the most over-rated!

OSF, your post and link to the interview of Reyna talking about holding the ball. How long exactly did "Captain America" hold the ball tonight? When he wasn't getting knocked on his ass, he was busy making bad bad bad passes. Has he every heard of "pace" on the ball? One chip on the highlight films doesn't compensate for a game full of nothing.

The Koreans ran all over us in mid-field, physically dominated us, and ahd a veritable field day. This was fthe area that our "captain" was supposed to dominate for us.

And WHAT IN THE WORLD is he doing taking a free kick outside the box while Mathis is on the pitch? He insisted on taking two just to prove to us that it is really true, he has no shot! Really? It didn't take TWO to convince me!

As to defense? Oh my gosh! It takes more than running around shouting to your teammates "Get him!" "Get him" to make you a defender. You actually have to DO something once in a while. His best play was stopping the break in the middle of the field late when the Korean knocked him down, ran over his ass and then got tangled-up as he steamrolled over Claudio. Herr Mier, called the foul, to no one's surprise.

Guys, I've got news for you, Claudio can't hack it. Prior to tonight's disgrace of an effort, I was willing, in fact HOPING, to eat crow. I was contemplating how I might have to write a post like I did for Tony Sanneh. But no need. I have now seen enough! Even Claudio plays against Poland, has an acceptable game and we overcome his weak-assed play, I won't change my mind.

I would start Pablo, Cobi, Lewis, Donovan, JMM, or even Clint in the spot he now occupies. Claudio can see the other teams dominate the center and score just as well from the bench as on the field. But if we had ANYBODY ELSE out their, there just won't be as many opportunities for the other team.

Oldplayer

·
Registered
401 Posts
Ah, no your wrong. Reyna has proven why he is out there. One bad game makes no difference. He is the captain and for whatever reason the team looks up to him. Also he is not the only one to play badly today.

BTW why so upset? We got a point. All we need is 1 more now. Be happy and look forward to the next game. Trust Arena, I think he has shown he knows what he is doing.

·
Registered
541 Posts
This is great. If I had told you in May that we would have 4 points going into our 3rd game, you would be ecstatic. Now its:irritate: :frustrat: :crybaby: :cry:

But, I'll tell you this.

NO MATTER HOW HARD THEY TRY THEY CANT STOP US NOW

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doc,

I am trying not to whine or gripe. I especially don't want to expect more from any given player than they have to give. For instance, Frankie H. is giving all he has with the talent he has. It's ridiculous to expect him to suddenly become a great dribbler.

But the deal with Reyna just bugs me to death. It's not talent that he lacks, but something else very special that world class players thrive on. It's mental and attitude. I so want him to break out and find it. But watching him pains me because of that lack of something. I didn't single him out on purpose to dislike. I like all of these guys. They are giving 100%. The intangibles that Donovan, Beasely and Mathis all bring is special. I desperately hope we don't loose out because Bruce is staying with Reyna longer than is otherwise necessary just to prove a point, etc. He has had all the opportunity in the world, and Cory's comments notwithstanding, I am still waiting for him to "prove himself."

IMHO,

Oldplayer

·
Registered
541 Posts
Gotcha Oldplayer. I'm from Detroit and we have an athlete with the biggest heart you've ever seen. Steve Yzerman. The US Nats don't have an aging veteran that can carry the team for periods on weak knees and a huge heart. Goose has the heart, Reyna has the technical skill.

On the bright side, if he steps it up for the next game, the one after that will be his opportunity to show us some magic.

Every game from now on is the most important game in US Soccer history.

Ain't it great.:cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts