Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
1st Tier Poster
49,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/melo_ing_out_zXeGnDTuMXmxj6hWn1uZrK
Kobe did have a private dinner tonight in Newport Beach, Ca. Kobe & Melo are very close. First defection of 2014 summer?
What makes it noteworthy is Melo flew out just to meet KB within 24 hours of D12's expodus

sounds funny but there might be some truth in this...

let's face it, Knicks is doomed as a franchise: no valuable assets, given away many draft picks in 2014-2017, crippling salary bill for several more years. Melo can opt out from his contract after 13/14 and there's really no reason for him to stay as the likelihood to win a title in one of the worst-run franchises in the league is practically zero. So maybe Knicks could try to make a trade with LA now...only that there's not much they could trade for.

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
I saw early 2013 on forbes knicks are team that generate most profits. 83 million dollar.I dont think they are crippled financially.

As for kobe - melo playing together, I dont think its good combination. Definetly not the same as Wade - Lebron as I think both Wade/Lebron have more playmaking skills.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course it would be a horrible combination, they're both selfish chuckers. It would fail just like the Melo-AI experiment never really worked at Denver.

But it would be fun to see it fail just like it was fun to see Lakers "5 All Stars" experiment failing last season :shades:

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
nobody wants to play with a chucker like kobe...not even shaq

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
Of course it would be a horrible combination, they're both selfish chuckers. It would fail just like the Melo-AI experiment never really worked at Denver.

But it would be fun to see it fail just like it was fun to see Lakers "5 All Stars" experiment failing last season :shades:
It will also be just like denver, defensively terrible team. Kobe will be 36 by then.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
I think would actually let Melo take the reigns and be the first option, just because Kobe wants another ring badly.

·
10'un Adi Lefter
8,620 Posts
I think would actually let Melo take the reigns and be the first option, just because Kobe wants another ring badly.
Me too. I feel like Kobe would take a backseat if Melo joined and settle for like 15-6-5 while playing defense to cover up Melo's shortcomings on that end.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
So Kobe is going to be willing to take a backseat to Melo, but he wasn't able to do it for Howard? What logic is that, unless we are all assuming that Melo is better than Howard which again is laughable.

If Melo goes to LA (I doubt it, Melo is the man at the Knicks) then he is going to play second fiddle to Bryant. Melo will likely opt out and resign with the Knicks. The Knicks have Chandler and Amare coming off there books in 2015 so Melo can stay in New York and have them reload around him again.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So Kobe is going to be willing to take a backseat to Melo, but he wasn't able to do it for Howard? What logic is that, unless we are all assuming that Melo is better than Howard which again is laughable.
Melo was a lot better than Howard last season. Also Howard never shooting and producing all his points from the paint means that he didn't really get into Kobe's way, much like Shaq could co-exist with Kobe successfully for a long time. But Melo and Kobe must find a way to share the ball and share the shots and it might be that anno 2013 Melo is simply better...the whole scenario of them both being in Lakers seems rather unlikely though.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Melo was better than a Howard that was coming off back surgery and had a torn labrum for most of the season, yet still managed to be the best rebounder in the league in a year that most people would say was easily his worst. But if Howard is healthy next season then there is no comparison really. Melo is a one dimensional elite scorer that excels at nothing else. If Melo's is shut down defensively he offers you absolutely nothing. He cannot defend and is a poor playmaker. If Howard's offensive game is not on, he at least gives you elite defence.

Melo right now is not even better than Kobe at aged 35.

Is it a coincidence that once Howard was more healthy after the all-star break last season that the Lakers record was 28-12?

·
1st Tier Poster
49,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not much of a fan of Melo myself...seems to be one of those guys who'll never be a title winner as the first option because he's a one-dimensional chucker.

Knicks should get rid of the entire bunch after 2014/15: Melo, Amare, Chandler, Bargnani are all overpaid.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Yeah Melo will never win a title being the number one option. I think the lure of him being the man in New York and the fact that the Knicks can rebuild in 2015 means that he will remain as a Knick. Next summer if he opts out he can sign a 5 year 129M deal to remain in New York or a 4 years 96M deal elsewhere. He will be 30, so the extra added one year could be too much to turn down.

·
Registered
12,290 Posts
It will be good for Knicks if they can offload Melo and Amare, and try to sign someone like Paul George who can play defense.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
I think melo can win a title as the number one option, otherwise he wouldn't be a superstar. But he needs very very good to great defenders around him to support his lack of defensive skills.

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
I am bumping this thread, because as time goes by... this is sounding more and more likely. The way the knicks are doing this season... and lakers having cap space come summer + melo free agent. this has huge shot of happening.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't see why Melo should want to go there...seems like a zero gain situation, he won't have a shot at the title and will have to fight with aging Kobe there and will only solidify his reputation as a chucker who never succeeds at playoffs.

If he leaves Knicks he should aim for a team with title chances. In fact a team like Cavs might be a contender if he joins as they need a scoring SF. They should have cap space too.

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
I think this wouldn't be a good fit for the Lakers either Andy. They're much better off going through the draft this year and building that way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts