Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen several articles in the past week about two of my all-time favorite Norwegian footballers, Henning Berg and Hege Riise, receiving the "Kniksens hederspris" and would appreciate it if someone could explain to me the significance of this award. I have done several "google" searches and haven't been able to find any information about this award in English (Sorry if this award was already mentioned in another thread.) .

Here is a link to one of the articles that was is the Romerikes Blad:

http://www.rb.no/lokal_sport/article1403063.ece

And here is the link to another article that has a very nice picture of Henning and Hege:

http://www.indre.no/lokal_sport/article1406624.ece

From what I can understand of this article, Hege is definitely planning to play one more season for Team Strømmen. According to Hege her trophy case isn't quite full yet and she still has the "football dream" of winning a Toppserien medal playing for Team Strømmen this coming season.

It also looks like the 2005 season will be her last. I just have to wonder though that if the first two months of the league season go extremely well for Hege there might be some small chance that she could be persuaded to come out of retirement and play one final time for the Norwegian National Team in this summer's European Championships? :cool: :kjempekult:

This article also mentions something about Hege being from Momoen. I always thought she was from Lørenskog and was wondering if Momoens is a district in Lørenskog?

På forhånd takk for hjelpen!

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
The Kniksen award is an award named after the greatest Norwegian footballer of all times, Roald "Kniksen" Jensen. The award is every year presented to the Norwegian footballer that has done the best in the past year. This year it was awarded to Erik "Pampers" Hagen, the 5th best central defender in the Norwegian League, unknown for which reason.

I didn't watch the show, but appearantly Hege Riise and Henning Berg both got an honourary award for their long and dedicated service to the Norwegian National Team, which they've both retired from afaik.

This isn't given out every year, so it was just another special award also named after Kniksen.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jinxter said:
The Kniksen award is an award named after the greatest Norwegian footballer of all times, Roald "Kniksen" Jensen. The award is every year presented to the Norwegian footballer that has done the best in the past year.
"Tusen takk" Jinxter for the Norwegian football history lesson. :cool: I didn't know that "Kniksen" was a nickname and never heard of Jensen before probably because I didn't start following Norwegian football until 1991. I guess if I had ever been to Brann Stadion I might have seen his statue, but the only time I ever saw Brann play was at Viking Stadion in Stavanger. In any event, it was sad to find out that he suffered a heart attack at the young age of 44, but at least he died with his boots on.

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Arena/1484/landslaget/players/kniksen.html

Roald Jensen, better known by his nickname "Kniksen", made his international debut aged only 17, and celebrated his 25th cap before he had turned 21, making him the youngest Norwegian ever to reach that milestone. Dubbed Norway's most talented player since Per Bredesen, "Kniksen" was a quick, creative and technically gifted player like few other Norwegians before or after him, and despite his young age, the skinny Brann winger became an instant star at both club and national level. In fact, many would argue that he was Norway's only true star in an era when Norway was among the worst nations in Europe. He was a player who could dribble past an entire defence by himself, make inch-perfect passes to an unmarked forward, and was the key player when Brann won the Norwegian league in 1962 and 1963. However, the following season he would - like Bredesen before him - fall victim to NFF's amateur rule when he moved overseas.

·
Registered
258 Posts
However, to say he's the best Norwegian footballer ever is of course an opinion by you Jinxter. Many others (in fact alot more) would have said Odd Iversen was. But of course it's a matter of opinion.

No disrespect to Henning Berg, cos he deserved this award, but I just can't stand this guy. The way he published his personal SMS' with Carew that they were done with over a year ago, his football philosophy (Semb's football ambassador and the "inventor" of the Flo pass) and his comments about football in general just makes me pissed.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Jinxter said:
The Kniksen award is an award named after the greatest Norwegian footballer of all times, Roald "Kniksen" Jensen.
Kniksen was truly a great player, but I think players like Tom Lund, Harald Berg, Svein Mathiesen and Odd Iversen can give him a hard fight for the title.

The main reason for naming the award after him, is in my eyes because Tom A. Schanke (fool!) established the best Norwegian player award in the time around Kniksen's tragic death.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Everything in football apart from pure statistics is just opinions. I know a lot of people think Tom Lund is the best Norwegian footballer ever, and a few think those others you RBK fans mentioned. I think they all were great players, but I feel Kniksen was unique among them :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts