Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
www.scotprem.com

"Rangers have been dealt a huge blow with the news that first-choice keeper Stefan Klos has been ruled out for the season.
The German shot stopper has damaged his knee ligaments and will miss the rest of the current campaign as Rangers look to pip Celtic to the race for the title."

That could just about swing the title to Celtic Park, that is a HUGE blow to you bluenoses, i must admit i havent seen it anywhere else yet other than the scotprem website but if it is true then...good luck replacing him your gona need it.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
It's on the official site and making it's way around the other sites now. It is indeed the biggest blow we could have been dealt. Klos has been our most important player in a number of matches usually pulling off 2-3 good saves per game to keep us in it.

McGregor who had been out on loan to St Johnstone will take over starting from tomorrow. Alex Rae will now be captain, that will be one plus anyway having a captain in the middle of the park. Makes the Bazza collapse all the more painful now.

This is without doubt a massive blow to our title challenge because he is a massive player for us. We'll just have to see how McGregor performs as well as our new defensive partnership before making judgement on the SPL race.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
One word... f***!

Rangers fans have talked about this for a couple of seasons now. What would happen if Klos got injured? Guess we're gonna find out how important he is. I think McGregor's a good goalkeeper, but we'll find out if he's got the mental strength to go with it. What a sh!t week :moan:. I'm off to watch the end of Life of Brian...

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
That's another thing. Isn't McGregor cup-tied in the CIS?

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Absolute shocker!

Celtic fans have said for years that if there was one player in the Rangers team who you'd hand-pick for this type of injury then it would be Klos.

This news is a near-fatal blow to any championship hopes that Rangers had as far as i'm concerned. Another thing, with Arsenal reportedly interested in signing him then Klos could conceivably have played his last game for the club.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Klos is a great keeper, but it's not as if he dictates the way we play. As long as they do their job to a high enough standard I don't think having McGregor in goals will cost us that many points. Klos was far more important last season, when imo our outfield 10 were a lot worse.

Glad you got your wish btw :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Angle_eyes said:
Glad you got your wish btw :thumbsup:
It's more of a backhanded compliment rather than anything malicious, certainly on my part anyway.

I think you're underplaying the significance of the loss as well, the guy has continually been the difference between Rangers winning matches or not with crucial saves throughout his time at the club. Any team would miss that sort of influence.

You should get by reasonably OK in the home matches against the SPL cannon fodder like Livingston tomorrow, but in the more testing fixtures away from home, and against Celtic, then i can see it being a definite struggle.

Like most things though, only time will tell how much of a blow this turns out to be.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
King_Henrik said:
It's more of a backhanded compliment rather than anything malicious, certainly on my part anyway.
I'll let you away with it this time then ;)

As you say, time will tell. McGregor will never get a better chance to show that he's a quality keeper. I just hope he's up to it. As well as that, we may also be ridding ourselves of some goalkeeping weaknesses. Klos is not perfect and McGregor may be able to command his area more convincingly, and his kicking must surely be better?

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Klos won't be going anywhere even if Arsenal do come in for him, he said so last week. He's been there and done it while enjoying life in Scotland so sees no need to move as he has nothing to prove.

Klos is a big loss. I wouldn't though write off Rangers just yet. No one has seen how McGregor will perform and no one has seen how our new defensive partnership will cope. I still think we are scoring enough goals to get us through the remainder of the season. The 2 old firms ties could go any way so there is still all to play for.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
So what do you reckon? I've already read reports that we'll be looking to bring a new keeper in. I'd rather give McGregor the chance. What's the point of having a reserve if you don't use him when needed?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If i was Alex McLeish (although i'll admit i dont know how good McGregor is) I would maybe think about bringing in someone on Loan. Not sure who's available at the moment but he's gona have to act quickly.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
I'd bring someone in on loan but only stick him in if McGregor is looking shakey. With 3 days left tilel the window shuts I think we've got to look at taking advantage of it because if McGregor has a nightmare in a couple of weeks we'll ahve to stick with him.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
chivoexpiatorio said:
Klos won't be going anywhere even if Arsenal do come in for him, he said so last week. He's been there and done it while enjoying life in Scotland so sees no need to move as he has nothing to prove.
Didn't Boumsong say he would only leave Ibrox for Real Madrid as well though?

3 weeks later he was parading around St James' Park. :D

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
King_Henrik said:
Didn't Boumsong say he would only leave Ibrox for Real Madrid as well though?

3 weeks later he was parading around St James' Park. :D
Boumsong said alot of things but it was always on the cards he was going to be off. Boumsong is still trying to establish himself in the NT and is still to prove himself in Europe. Klos has acknowledged that his NT days are behind him and he has already proved himself in Europe with a Champions League medal to show for it. He says he has nothing to prove and he enjoys the life he and his family have in Scotland. He also said he will honour his contract at Rangers and show them the same faith they have shown him, Boumsong never said anything to that effect.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Angle_eyes said:
That's another thing. Isn't McGregor cup-tied in the CIS?
Yes he is, looks like Graeme Smith will have to play on Wednesday.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Bad news for all at Ibrox and best of wishes to der goalie on a full recovery. McGregor is very highly thought of around Ibrox it seems, especially with us keeping him happy, despite him knowing he is second choice until Stefan gets too old (McGregor is 22 isn't he?). He did great on loan earlier in the season and won a player of the month award I think, so I am 'hopeful' he can keep it solid in the SPL.

Big blow to us, no doubt about it, but lets hope young Alan can grab the opportunity with both gloves and show the fans why the management team have kept him at Ibrox for so long.

Good luck to the lad.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
chivoexpiatorio said:
Boumsong said alot of things but it was always on the cards he was going to be off. Boumsong is still trying to establish himself in the NT and is still to prove himself in Europe. Klos has acknowledged that his NT days are behind him and he has already proved himself in Europe with a Champions League medal to show for it. He says he has nothing to prove and he enjoys the life he and his family have in Scotland. He also said he will honour his contract at Rangers and show them the same faith they have shown him, Boumsong never said anything to that effect.
You may well be right.

We'll see if that remains the case if/when Arsenal test his resolve with a bid though...

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
King_Henrik said:
You may well be right.

We'll see if that remains the case if/when Arsenal test his resolve with a bid though...
I'm confident he will stay, more than I could say if about Boumsong anyway.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Klos could not be more different from Boumsong in terms of personality. Neither will Arsenal make a bid for Klos, or would Klos entertain it for a second. We're a bigger club than them anyway. Why would he want to go down South and play 2nd fiddle to a club in the same city? Ehm...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts