Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Manu, since you kindly invited me to come in here to talk about my "love for the Germans and Germany", i am answering to your invitation with a very interesting comment made by one of your all time greats. Here's what "Klinsi", the legendary Jurgen Klinsmann had to say about the current German NT team. What do you guys think?

He said that to USA Today, as he now lives in California:
"Germany is now ten years behind France due to their calamitous youth system policy. We are light years away from the football the French play."

Care to comment?;) To be honest, we kind of knew all that,;) but coming from Klinsi, that gives it even more credit and weight:eek:...what do people in Germany think of that?

·
Registered
17,530 Posts
Well, two things about this:

1. I wonder if he said this now cause then he is half a year too late :D.
2. This is as stupid as it was in the early 90s to say we are unbeatable for years.

May I kindly remind anyone who is the best NT of the 90s? Yes, thats once again Germany. 1 WC, 1 EC, more than any other team achieved. I wonder how it comes that we are soooooo bad now? I think many people overreacted with their comments. We are way behind France, no doubt, but still I think we are one of the top 5 teams in the world.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Jurgen hasn't said anything new. The Kaiser had already made that comment. The DFB has also already sent in Germans to France to study the French youth system.

As for the ranking of the Nationalmannschaft, I would not rate them in the Top 5. I don't think that they are as bad as most people think, but they are also nowhere near as good as they used to be.

After being the best team in the world for the last 3 decades with 2 World Cups and 2 2nd place finishes, and 3 Euros and 2 2nd place finishes, consistency is something that you lose in the intoxication of so called greatness.

You can't be great forever.

But Germany will come back. How can it not?:D

·
Registered
15,061 Posts
On the one hand, our youth system isnt really very productive and should be reconsidered. A lot of people talk about it, a lot of suggestion are made, but no one knows THE solution. Moreover, the fact our FA is leaded by some conservative politician with hardly any knowledge about football (at least imo :D ), doesnt improve our chances to revolutionize our youth system.

On the other hand, the French system has been as productive as nothing else, at least in Europe. The financially - at least relatively spoken - weak league is a benefit for the NT aswell. While all the stars are lured to clubs in England, Italy, Spain and partly Germany, the French league stays open for the home-grown talent.

Though Bosman is often abused as a cheap excuse, it had its effect, like I mentioned above.
Of course, you cant blame the Bosman law for the lack of talent of players. But u can blame it for the fact that obviously talented players rot on the bench of clubs and lack the necessary playing experience they need so much in the young ages to transform their raw talent in something productive. But the clubs tend to rely on more experienced players from abroad, and the attitude of the German talents with their greedy attitude wont help either to convince the clubs to show confidence in them and let them play.

Another benefit of the French team is... you guys still have ur people from the colonies :D Actually, I wonder how great the French teams would be without them. A mess :tongue: While u have all these great talents from Africa, our young guys with foreign roots are hardly anything special football wise, with very few expectations ;)

All in all, Klinsmann indeed said nothing new and nothing suprising, everyone knows that the last 5 years werent our best. I agree again with the champ, we arent as bad as people makes us, surely we arent. Our midfield is pretty strong, our keeper is the best of the world (just look at this clown u got, payman :D ) and our defense can be pretty decent. Still, we lack the players we had in the past. and our striking force is simply disgusting, these players wouldnt get a single call up in most other top nations of Europe. But then again, I doubt that Barthez or Casillas would ever get a call up for Germany either ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts