Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad news :(

One of our ex-players, Kai Johansen, has been diagnosed as having terminal cancer. He was one of Scottish footballs first foreign stars, playing for Morton then onto Rangers and is famous even today for his goal against Celtic in the Scottish cup final replay of 1966 - one of the greatest goals in the clubs history.

Former Rangers star Kai Johansen has been diagnosed with terminal cancer.

The Dane, who played for the club in the late 1960s and early 1970s, had surgery at Nobles Hospital on the Isle of Man to remove a tumor from his bowel.

But doctors have revealed the cancer has spread and the 66-year-old is now terminally ill.

Johansen had joined from Morton for £20,000 in the summer of 1965 having been one of a number of successful Scandinavian imports captured by the Greenock club.

He was a modern-day full-back who liked to attack and famously scored the winning goal for Rangers in the replay of the 1966 Scottish Cup Final against Celtic after the first match finished goalless.

That victory earned Rangers qualification to the European Cup Winners Cup and they went all the way to the final for the second time in their history.

Johansen played in Nuremburg against Bayern Munich when Rangers lost 1-0 after extra-time.

In total he played 238 matches for Rangers and scored nine goals

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
From the official site today:

King Kai Thanks The Fans

DANISH star Kai Johansen has thanked the thousands of fans who have wished him well as he continues his fight against cancer.

Johansen, who starred for Rangers in the late 1960s and early 1970s, had surgery at Nobles Hospital on the Isle of Man to remove a tumour from his bowel and is now recovering at home before he returns for another scan to assess the situation in a few weeks' time.

He said: "I have been overwhelmed by the thousands of messages of support I have received.

"It has been quite amazing. So many people have written to me giving me their best wishes and I am so touched by it all.

"I have tried to reply to as many as I can but sometimes people don't give their address so I want to send this message out through the club website to thank those I couldn't get in touch with personally.

"It is almost 40 years since I played for Rangers and yet people still remember me. It just shows what a great club Rangers is and I was lucky to have played for them."

Johansen had joined from Morton for £20,000 in the summer of 1965 having been one of a number of successful Scandinavian imports captured by the Greenock club at that time.

He was a modern-day full back who liked to attack and famously scored the winning goal for Rangers in the replay of the 1966 Scottish Cup Final against Celtic after the first match finished goal-less.

That victory earned Rangers qualification to the Cup Winners Cup and they went all the way to the Final for the second time in their history. Johansen played in Nuremburg against Bayern Munich when Rangers lost 1-0 after extra time.

In total he played 238 matches for Rangers and scored nine goals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts