Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Kim Don-Jin is an awesome full-back who has really helped Zenit. Ho is more of a backup, and just doesn't play enough. Their were rumors linking Ho to Italy earlier this year, so we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Kim Dong Jin is almost always a starter. In '06, he started every league match for Zenit from his arrival at the club. He started 24 [out of 30] RPL matches for Zenit last year, and he started 11 UEFA Cup matches for Zenit this past term. The only reason we didn't see him against Leverkusen, Bayern, and Rangers was because of a nasty injury he picked up. But KDJ is a top-notch, offensive-minded, fullback. Great player.

Ho joined Zenit in June of '06, like Dong Jin. He got off to a decent start, playing in 18 matches [11 starts] that year. But since then, DA has completely lost confidence in him, and he even went down to reserves at one point.

·
Registered
42,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses.

Lee Young-pyo and Park Ji-sung did well together at PSV. I wonder if this was observed by Zenit and thought it wise to bring together another two Koreans? I have noticed that some Asian players suffer from homesickness - language problems, the different culture, so on.

Even if Lee Ho's contribution on the pitch hasn't been immense by itself, it wouldn't be a surprise if he's helped make life more comfortable for his countryman.

If Lee Ho was to leave, I wonder how Kim would react.

·
Registered
42,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ah that's right, he formerly managed the South Korean national team. We'll see.

I hope to see Kim in the Champions League next season [and Lee too, if the possibility arrised]. I'm interested in the progression of Asian footballers.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Lee Young-pyo and Park Ji-sung did well together at PSV. I wonder if this was observed by Zenit and thought it wise to bring together another two Koreans? I have noticed that some Asian players suffer from homesickness - language problems, the different culture, so on.

Even if Lee Ho's contribution on the pitch hasn't been immense by itself, it wouldn't be a surprise if he's helped make life more comfortable for his countryman.

If Lee Ho was to leave, I wonder how Kim would react.
I think you have hit it spot on. In his Bio on Zenit's website, KDJ lists Ho as his best friend on the club [which isn't surprising]. Clearly it was a smart move by Zenit to bring 2 Koreans into the mix, as [I would assume] the move from Korea to Russia would be extremely difficult for anyone. You have the lanugage barrier, the weather, etc.

So I would certainly guess that Ho has helped KDJ out immensely, even if Ho himself isn't producing much on the pitch. And I'm sure Zenit realize this and are paying Ho handsomely. Why else would the guy be content to just sit on the bench? If Ho left, I would guess that KDJ might follow him out the door, despite his budding career at Zenit.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
It's important for everyone to have someone they know and it surely shows on their appereances. Fitting into a new team isn't very easy and it may not even help that the club is taking well care of you if there isn't anyone you can hang out with during your free time.

Adaption is essential and I think bigger clubs are starting to take care more and more of their newcomers. There are so many examples of talented players who suffer from homesickness and just sit around in their appartment doing nothing.

Just take a look at Elano during his first couple of months at Shaktar where he came home from trainings and had no social life besides his wife and child.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Yeah, to be honest, I think that's the only reason why Zenit keeps paying Ho's cheques. To be blatantly honest, the player sucks, but KDJ is an absolute beast down Zenit's left flank.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah, to be honest, I think that's the only reason why Zenit keeps paying Ho's cheques. To be blatantly honest, the player sucks, but KDJ is an absolute beast down Zenit's left flank.
It is a well known fact that the only reason Ho was signed was to keep KDJ company. He hasn't played a meaningful game in two years, and his game is so awful DA won't even let him start for the reserve side.

Zenit has to keep KDJ happy - between KDJ and Shirl on the left flank, and Anyukov/Denisov on the right, they've got blistering ability, speed and talent on both flanks. If the price to pay for that is keeping the worthless Ho on the roster/salary rolls, so be it.

·
Registered
44,603 Posts
Kim Don Jin is not looking good...anyway 19 july he will leave for the olympics,Sirl will be the left back and 47 old Horshkov the subs.:pp:pp

·
Registered
50 Posts
When Kim's on his game he's one of Russia's top left backs. Very tenacious and has that typical Korean football mentality of playng very dirty.
a dirty player? Naah, Dimon, I think your off base on this. Physical, yes, dirty or a cheat, no.

·
Registered
66,254 Posts
a dirty player? Naah, Dimon, I think your off base on this. Physical, yes, dirty or a cheat, no.
He's a hard player, I'll leave it at that. His challenges can be cynical at times, no I wouldn't put him in the same sentence as Materazzi but he's definatley one of Russia's most physical defenders.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Kim Don Jin is not looking good...anyway 19 july he will leave for the olympics,Sirl will be the left back and 47 old Horshkov the subs.:pp:pp
Oh, he's not looking good, eh? Seems just fine by me, he was whupping up on the likes of Villarreal and Olympique Marseille before he got hurt...and correct me if I'm wrong, kleber, but wasn't he voted into the RPL top XI in 2007? How much do you really know about Russian football, anyway? :rollani:

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
It is a well known fact that the only reason Ho was signed was to keep KDJ company. He hasn't played a meaningful game in two years, and his game is so awful DA won't even let him start for the reserve side.

Zenit has to keep KDJ happy - between KDJ and Shirl on the left flank, and Anyukov/Denisov on the right, they've got blistering ability, speed and talent on both flanks. If the price to pay for that is keeping the worthless Ho on the roster/salary rolls, so be it.
:thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts