Xtratime Community banner

101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
It was the novelty, and Zagrepčani trying to "americanise" their lives to some extent. All of a sudden it became cool to go to medveščak, it became the talk, it was something new, there is no fan base, just a trend.

It will keep up for a while, but for a change from the football stadiums, the venues are dry, not cold, fans are not rained on, and the infrastructure of the dvorana is at a standard fit for human beings, much different to the football infrastructure here :D

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
It was the novelty, and Zagrepčani trying to "americanise" their lives to some extent. All of a sudden it became cool to go to medveščak, it became the talk, it was something new, there is no fan base, just a trend.

It will keep up for a while, but for a change from the football stadiums, the venues are dry, not cold, fans are not rained on, and the infrastructure of the dvorana is at a standard fit for human beings, much different to the football infrastructure here :D
Interesting take.

·
Registered
69,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Medvescak officially eliminated from playoff contention with 4 games to go after a loss to CSKA in Moscow. Medvescak actually had a two goal lead but as expected CSKA were too strong and scored five unanswered goals

As for next season it looks like they will remain in the KHL

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Former Bear and Flame Steve Montador was found dead in his home this weekend. I know he had concussion issues which forced him to retire while in Zagreb. Sad story. He was young and has a kid on the way.

·
Registered
69,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Not Medvescak related, but NT related, the World Championships (Division 1B) starts on Monday. Croatia just missed out on promotion last year by one point. This season I expect them to compete for promotion again, the main contenders look to be South Korea

No Borna Rendulic due to injury while there are some native born players in the team

Vratari: Mark Dekanich, Mate Tomljenović, Andrej Vasiljević.

Braniči: Kenny MacAulay, Geoff Waugh, Alan Letang, Andy Sertich, Saša Martinović, Marko Ljubić, Igor Jačmenjak, Borna Šilović.

Napadači: Mike Glumac, Andrew Murray, Dario Kostović, Nathan Perkovich, Ryan Kinasewich, Ivan Janković, Dominik Kanaet, Mislav Blagus, Luka Vukoja, Tadija Mirić, Ivan Brenčun, Matija Miličić.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Not Medvescak related, but NT related, the World Championships (Division 1B) starts on Monday. Croatia just missed out on promotion last year by one point. This season I expect them to compete for promotion again, the main contenders look to be South Korea

No Borna Rendulic due to injury while there are some native born players in the team

Vratari: Mark Dekanich, Mate Tomljenović, Andrej Vasiljević.

Braniči: Kenny MacAulay, Geoff Waugh, Alan Letang, Andy Sertich, Saša Martinović, Marko Ljubić, Igor Jačmenjak, Borna Šilović.

Napadači: Mike Glumac, Andrew Murray, Dario Kostović, Nathan Perkovich, Ryan Kinasewich, Ivan Janković, Dominik Kanaet, Mislav Blagus, Luka Vukoja, Tadija Mirić, Ivan Brenčun, Matija Miličić.
Rendulic is skating and not on IR anymore as far as I know. If he is on IR he could be activated at anytime. The beat writer thought he might play last game. But he is still with the Avs until the end of the season regardless so he can't be there until the season is over. Also if the Av's farm team is in the AHL playoffs I'm assuming he would get assigned there to play. If not he would be eligible at the end of the season. I honestly don't know how long this tourney goes for this level. So he may get a spot after that.

Goaltending got a huge upgrade with Dekanich getting citizenship.

·
Registered
69,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Croatia lost their opener to GB in OT, they conceded the equalizer with 5 seconds to go in regulation and then lost in OT. Today they beat Lithuania pretty comfortably. Promotion looks unlikely with the South Koreans breezing through, they will likely need three wins including against the Koreans. Also the Koreans are largely domestic based, only two Canadians on their team which makes it more impressive

·
Registered
69,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Great Britain beat South Korea, not the best news for Croatia's promotion chances. They not only have to win out but hope GB slip up somewhere, only game I see it is against Lithuania

·
Registered
69,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
A loss to Netherlands ends any chance of promotion. Maybe expectations were too high but that's still a bad result regardless, considering the "reinforcements" the team has. Shows that it will be a looong journey, even with Medvescak providing NT players. The room for error at the lower levels of international hockey is small to move up

·
Registered
69,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Medvescak sign former Bruins, Capitals, Islanders (probably missing a few teams :pp) d-man Milan Jurcina, Slovakian. He has spent the last few years in Europe bouncing around Finland, Switzerland and most recently Dinamo Riga in the KHL

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I haven't been paying as much attention this year as the past but after following Dekanich on twitter it appears he wasn't paid for last year is pretty upset. I'm starting to think that maybe the stories about last year were true. My Men's league team had been playing against a former player and I was hoping to ask him next time we played them but he left for Japan before the season ended.

In more interesting news. I also saw they signed Brule. I'm not sure how he did in Europe but what an NHL bust. I was so stoked to see him in the NHL and he just could never make it work.

·
Registered
69,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Medvescak have some bad financial problems and the KHL have banned Medvescak (and three other clubs) from signing new players for the rest of the season.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Yeah although they have signed any players they need for this season so it won't be an issue. I thought it was a pretty dirty contract move they tried to pull on Dekanich. Saying they wouldn't pay him because they didn't think he played well enough. I played against a guy this summer who had a similar problem there and said that they were often late with payments and everything was sketchy. Not that shocking. Glad the khl stepped in for once to try and squash this kind of behaviour. Hopefully it turns things around the team continues.

This season has gone shockingly well otherwise.

·
Registered
69,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Watched the Medvescak-CSKA game on tape delay here on some fringe sports channel which shows the most random stuff like KHL hockey, Chinese basketball, Asian CL etc.. :D Despite the financial problems still a pretty good atmosphere and nearly full (only few empty seats at the corners) and a shutout win over CSKA

There's actually a black guy playing for Medvescak too from Colombia :eek: :pp

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=16833

·
Registered
308 Posts
Watched the Medvescak-CSKA game on tape delay here on some fringe sports channel which shows the most random stuff like KHL hockey, Chinese basketball, Asian CL etc.. :D Despite the financial problems still a pretty good atmosphere and nearly full (only few empty seats at the corners) and a shutout win over CSKA

There's actually a black guy playing for Medvescak too from Colombia :eek: :pp

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=16833
We got Camilo Miettinen too, actually both guys shared a similar history they were raised by scandinavian families.

·
Registered
69,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Desperate three-way fight for the 8th seed involving Medvescak with about 20 games to go. It is between Medvescak, Dinamo Minsk and Slovan, maybe Spartak is still in it too with the three point system. They have a winnable home game against Sochi today

101 - 120 of 124 Posts