Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From his signature ;)

Everyone but Arsenal supporters actually rate Arsenal's chances in the CL each season. I was browsing some Milan forums last season, and at the quaters of the CL, most of their supporters either dreaded or dreamed of meeting Arsenal; not Madrid, not Juve, not Chelsea, but Arsenal. It's amazing to me that we're still respected at all in Europe, despite our perpetually embarassing efforts :stuckup:

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
it's true, last year we were one of the Xtra-time favourites, beats me as well, seeing as we scraped through our group by the skin of or teeth.

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jern Lizardhous said:
it's true, last year we were one of the Xtra-time favourites,.
You lot still are :stuckup:

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
are u kiddin, i had my hopes up, but unless we buy a defender, gk, amazing player(swp, owen) some1 of that calibre, then we might have a chance, untill then NO CHANCE.

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
no arsenal dont play in the world cup.
well i stayed in saudia, lebanon, france, now im staying in bahrain.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Arsenal's life in CL goes on...see you next year guys..

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lazindo17 said:
Arsenal's life in CL goes on...see you next year guys..
Seriously, I have no intention of offending you guys, take it for what it is. I was just teasing Khimik ;)

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
bokiko said:
why ?? does arsenal have any ????
Since when did we became a seperate nation? I mean I know we're f**king brilliant and all, but come on, we haven't became a seperate republic within Great Britiain itself.

Yet.

·
Registered
293 Posts
We just cannot lift ourselves in away games in CL. Should we have play like what we play in the home ground, then probably we will be the one facing Chelsea now. We need consisent performance in away game.

Otherwise, we would only be so near and yet so far.....

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Bottom line don't support the Arsenal if the CL is your only measurment of success.

I'd love to see us win it, but I don't want us to be stupid like Leeds, self destruct on a fantasy that at most lasts 14 games.

People say they value the CL more any other competion but do the mases remember Bucharest, Red Start Belgrade, Aston Villa, Notts Forest etc etc etc

All past European giants and where did it get them?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
tunis bad argument mate..
its called the eras...
we had the liverpool era of the 70's, the scum of the 90's.... and thankfully the tinytots have had none!

but that said most teams would have a period where they were very successful and then they fade into oblivion for a while....

even our own arsenal, who touch wood have never been relegated have had some poor seasons... or for that matter in the mid 70's the manc scums were relegated....
so yea ure argument is quite bad!

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
I understand what you're saying Gunner4ever and it's valid.

My point is that many act as if only european success matters, when the reality is while imporant it does not necessarily cement a club as a super power.

Arsenal could have taken all the resources they invested in our new stadium and spent it on the dream that is the CL and perhaps won a few CL titles, many would have showerd us with unlimted praise and held up AW as one of the best coachs ever ala the Mourhino worshiping we see today. We would have had a few CL titles in our trophy case but no stadium, financial ruin and at best we'd be a mid-table club ala Villa in a few seasons and for what?

Basicly my point is the CL while important is overvalued.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
agreed Tunis, gunner4ver i don't think there will be eras as much anymore, the top clubs now have so much financial power it would take a catastrophe to fall off your perch as long as you run the club properly.

we are certainly going to have more financial power when we move into AG, as long as we make sure of CL qualification in the next few years i think we will be competitive for a very long time.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
the top clubs now have so much financial power it would take a catastrophe to fall off your perch as long as you run the club properly.
...seemingly so Jern, but in Chelsea's case all it takes would be Putin singing: "Get back, get back, get back to where you once belonged." :D

Imagining dear Mr. Money launderer Abramovich in between two ex-KGB throughbreds on his way to a permanent chained stay in Siberia... ahhh :thmbup: .

1 - 20 of 64 Posts