Xtratime Community banner

161 - 180 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Are you guys watching UFC over boxing tomorrow night?

Anyways, out of 20 Ring experts 18 out of 20 have Canelo winning.
Looking forward to the boxing fight, Kovalev was a monster until a few years ago. Hoping he KO's golden girls finest CONelo but already know Conelo wouldn't have taken this fight if he was worried. He learned from Mayweather how to duck top contenders and rack up money same time

Btw Kovalev v. Hopkins was real life Ivan Drago vs. Apollo Creed, Kovalev actually killed a guy in the ring and Hopkins was in his 40's haha. To his credit he went the distance, 1st fighter to ever survive KO from Kovalev I think? Legend.

·
Master Debater
20,651 Posts
Well he could certainly beat averaged sized amateurs. Still doesn't make him a real fighter.
I do agree that if you magically bring back Bruce in his prime he'd probably get destroyed in the Octagon by 4th rate fighters today. But this doesn't mean he wasn't a real fighter, for his era he was highly advanced.

Have you read his book? He was more than just an actor, this guy was laying the foundation for modern MMA in his mind way back then. Incorporating different styles of fighting including a huge emphasis on grappling.

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
Are you guys watching UFC over boxing tomorrow night?

Anyways, out of 20 Ring experts 18 out of 20 have Canelo winning.
Yeah possible to watch both, the UFC card is wall to wall excellent fights so I'll absolutely been watching that.

Johnny Walkgoat best not lose,I love that man.

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Cheet ufc card.

Now lets see if this alcoholic can beat boxing golden child.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Board is gonna go mental. An EEer just lost to a black man
Ivanov should have won imo. Granted, he did not land the harder punches, but he did pretty much everything else to win the fight.

Dude went down like a sack of potatoes
Yea, that was a vicious KO. Kudos to Canelo. Typical stamina woes continue to haunt Kovalev, plus the fact that he looked so apprehensive getting hurt by a midget lol.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
I do agree that if you magically bring back Bruce in his prime he'd probably get destroyed in the Octagon by 4th rate fighters today. But this doesn't mean he wasn't a real fighter, for his era he was highly advanced.

Have you read his book? He was more than just an actor, this guy was laying the foundation for modern MMA in his mind way back then. Incorporating different styles of fighting including a huge emphasis on grappling.
I doubt even that. I'd say World Champion boxers from his weight class would have beheaded him.

·
Master Debater
20,651 Posts
I doubt even that. I'd say World Champion boxers from his weight class would have beheaded him.
I'm not so sure about that, the guy had a fairly decent understanding about the power of grappling in fights. A boxer with zero ability to protect himself on the ground would have severe trouble handling someone with any sort of knowledge about the ground game.

But you're right that people well below UFC standards would probably destroy Bruce Lee. College wrestlers for example would give him the business as well.

But I'm not sure it's right to judge a guy from that era against guys from our current era. It hasn't even been that long but imagine Royce Gracie in his prime fighting in the UFC today? He'd get murdered. But this still won't change the fact that he was on of the better fighters in his own era.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
I'm not so sure about that, the guy had a fairly decent understanding about the power of grappling in fights. A boxer with zero ability to protect himself on the ground would have severe trouble handling someone with any sort of knowledge about the ground game.

But you're right that people well below UFC standards would probably destroy Bruce Lee. College wrestlers for example would give him the business as well.

But I'm not sure it's right to judge a guy from that era against guys from our current era. It hasn't even been that long but imagine Royce Gracie in his prime fighting in the UFC today? He'd get murdered. But this still won't change the fact that he was on of the better fighters in his own era.
I wasn't talking about guys from current era. I meant fighters from his time. Would have bet my house on certified world class athletes like Mando Ramos or Zagalav Abdulbekov against him in a real fight.

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
I think it is a little unfair to match up modern fighters to Bruce Lee. He was such a pioneer.

The real question is how would Bruce Lee fair if he was born in this era? He was already gifted physically and mentally. So on top of that, wouldn't he take a lot of advantage of modern day knowledge, nutrition, and technology and be something inhuman?

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
I think it is a little unfair to match up modern fighters to Bruce Lee. He was such a pioneer.

The real question is how would Bruce Lee fair if he was born in this era? He was already gifted physically and mentally. So on top of that, wouldn't he take a lot of advantage of modern day knowledge, nutrition, and technology and be something inhuman?
Nobody here is doing that mate. As for the second part, there's no reason to believe that. He didn't beat the best fighters of his era so he's disqualified even for speculation about what he would do today.

·
Registered
27,280 Posts

Omg bro, any champion boxer from his or any era would have murdered Bruce Lee in seconds.

161 - 180 of 225 Posts