Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PSV Eindhoven have sealed the transfer of Partizan Belgrade’s 20-year-old Yugoslav forward Mateja Kezman in a $13.1 million deal, according to reports in the Yugoslav press.

In addition to the transfer fee, PSV sponsors Philips have agreed to revamp the lighting system at Partizan’s stadium.

Kezman is considered to be the most promising talent in Yugoslav football. He scored 27 goals for Partizan last season.

Hmm, quite a surprise transfer if you ask me. How did they did it with some european top teams after him ?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Well, didn't Ronaldo (and I think also Romario) made his (their) European career in PSV? It is good for Kezman to play in the club such as PSV, establish himself as a player (not just a talent) and then transfer to some of the top European clubs. This is, in my mind, a much better way to glory than the one chosen by his fellow Yugoslavs such as Ciric who went to Barcelona, Ognjenovic to Real M. and D. Stankovic to Lazio. Those three were very talented 20-year old players when they joined the mega-clubs. In those clubs, they had barely had any chance to play and their careers are ruined. Stankovic, though, had a good first season with Lazio, but he played out of his position (center midfield) and he is now copletely out of his form and his confidence.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it was a very good deal for player and team but still it was a surprise for me.
When you see that almost all the talents choose for money and a big club.. For example all the young prospect inter buys but never play. And ofcourse the examples of you.
It is very smart from Kezman and more young players should do this. Thinking first about their career !

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Agree. I'm realy not happy that young talents keep leaving Yugoslav clubs when they are bearly 20. However, once they decide to leave, I prefer that they join top Dutch or Franch clubs rather than mega-clubs in Spain or Italy where they are usually heading to. In fact, top Dutch clubs (Ajax, Fajenoord and PSV) have much more international pedegree and play much more attractive soccer than some "dot.com" Italian up-stars such as Lazio or Parma.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Well I quite like PSV so I'm glad to hear this one :)
But still I'm quite impressed that they managed to do this especially with Milan and Munich as their contenders :eek:
Since Nilis is off to England, PSV have got to do something (and I'm still uncertain about Nistelrooij) so I hope Kezman will blossom there!
And apparently a move to a less pressurizing league is a good step for young, talented players (at least below 22). Some of them are still not ready for the pressure just yet!

·
Registered
172 Posts
It would be good for Kezman(PSV).
Partizan has even younger very talented strikers..so it would make space for them and since Partizan is not playing champ league...

·
International
6,519 Posts
Well, it IS good for him but if I would get offers from Bayern Munich and AC Milan I would definately choose them rather as PSV. But Kezman made a decision and so shall be it. Hope he will do great there.:p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts