Discussion Starter #1
I'lle be there...(Here :D ) As I do every year........... :thumbsup:

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Kuerten withdraws from Key Biscayne event

March 14, 2006

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. (AP) -- Gustavo Kuerten withdrew Tuesday from next week's Nasdaq-100 Open, citing hip problems.

The three-time French Open champion has played only 10 ATP Tour events since major hip surgery in September 2004. He received a wild card to play at Key Biscayne.

"I still don't feel ready to compete at a high level," Kuerten said. "I have undergone exams this past week, and my hip still lacks stability. I will spend the upcoming weeks in the U.S. undergoing treatment."

Kuerten, the runner-up at Key Biscayne in 2000, will be replaced in the draw by Robin Soderling of Sweden.

The men's and women's tournament runs March 22 to April 2.

·
94,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Davenport withdraws from Key Biscayne tournament :eek: Another withdrawal ???? :eek:

March 20, 2006

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. (AP) -- Lindsay Davenport withdrew Monday from the Nasdaq-100 Open, citing a back injury that she aggravated last week at Indian Wells.

Davenport was to be seeded fifth in the tournament, which begins Wednesday.

"I was hoping to recover in time, but unfortunately I'm not yet ready to play competitively," Davenport said.

Davenport was the runner-up at Key Biscayne in 2000.

·
94,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Peerless Federer arrives in Miami in majestic form

AFP
March 21, 2006

MIAMI (AFP) - World number one Roger Federer's grip on the game is looking stronger than ever as he arrives in Miami seeking a second tennis Masters Series crown in as many tournaments.

The mighty Swiss has won 22 of his 23 matches this year, and squelched any doubts raised by his Dubai finals loss to Rafael Nadal with a majestic victory at the first Masters Series tournament of the year at Indian Wells, California, on Sunday.

Federer himself admitted his form in California, where he beat American James Blake in the final, made the outcome almost inevitable.

"Excellent," was Federer's analysis after claiming his third straight Indian Wells title.

Although Blake had broken him twice to take a 4-1 lead in the first set, Federer responded to produce a 7-5, 6-3, 6-0 victory that sent him to Florida full of free-swinging confidence.

"Coming here, I was extremely tense looking at the draw, thinking, 'Wow, I've got Indian Wells, Key Biscayne to defend,'" he said.

"It really got me worried. Now that I won, I'm pretty relaxed, very happy."

That's probably bad news for the rest of the field, which includes 15 of the top 16 men in the world with No. 13 Thomas Johansson of Sweden the only absentee.

Even Nadal, who has won three of his four career matches against Federer, admits that for him, the Swiss starts every match as the favorite.

Nadal, ousted by Blake in the semi-finals at Indian Wells, will be trying to improve on that performance in Miami, but also brings a sore ankle suffered in the California desert.

While Blake, seeded ninth in Miami, will be trying to back up his superb Indian Wells performance, third-seeded David Nalbandian of Argentina and No. 4 seed Andy Roddick of the United States will be trying to rebound from disappointing first-round exits.

Nalbandian fell to Thai hero Paradorn Srichaphan, while Roddick's slump continued with a loss to Russian Igor Andreev.

The only possible bright spot for Roddick is that an opening-match loss last year in Miami means he will has no points to defend on his return and could regain third place in the rankings from Nalbandian with a decent run.

On the women's side, France's Australian Open champion Amelie Mauresmo launches her campaign from the summit of the world rankings, after supplanting Belgian Kim Clijsters as the world number one on Monday.

Neither Mauresmo nor second seed and defending champion Clijsters competed at Indian Wells, where former Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova claimed her first title in nine months.

The 18-year-old Russian was buoyed by the triumph, which included a victory over five-time Grand Slam champion Martina Hingis. But the return to action of Mauresmo and Clijsters means she is seeded one place lower - at No. 4 - than she was in California.

Belgian Justine Henin-Hardenne is seeded third as she tries to rebound from a semi-final loss to Russian Elena Dementieva at Indian Wells.

But Sharapova said she believed her run in the California desert put her in prime position to emulate Clijsters' 2005 feat of winning back-to-back Tier One titles at Indian Wells and Miami.

"I'll take this as a good confidence boost, being able to play at a high level throughout a whole week, playing six matches, getting the matches that I wanted," Sharapova said.

"I enjoy playing week after week. I feel like I get better as I play more matches. You never know what can happen."

Despite the WTA's new designation of Miami as a mandatory event, injuries have depleted the field.

American Lindsay Davenport, ranked fifth in the world, withdrew because of a bulging disc in her lower back, while seven-time Grand Slam champion Serena Williams withdrew saying she didn't feel she was ready to compete at the highest level.

·
94,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Peerless Federer arrives in Miami in majestic form :cool:

AFP
March 21, 2006

MIAMI (AFP) - World number one Roger Federer's grip on the game is looking stronger than ever as he arrives in Miami seeking a second tennis Masters Series crown in as many tournaments.

The mighty Swiss has won 22 of his 23 matches this year, and squelched any doubts raised by his Dubai finals loss to Rafael Nadal with a majestic victory at the first Masters Series tournament of the year at Indian Wells, California, on Sunday.

Federer himself admitted his form in California, where he beat American James Blake in the final, made the outcome almost inevitable.

"Excellent," was Federer's analysis after claiming his third straight Indian Wells title.

Although Blake had broken him twice to take a 4-1 lead in the first set, Federer responded to produce a 7-5, 6-3, 6-0 victory that sent him to Florida full of free-swinging confidence.

"Coming here, I was extremely tense looking at the draw, thinking, 'Wow, I've got Indian Wells, Key Biscayne to defend,'" he said.

"It really got me worried. Now that I won, I'm pretty relaxed, very happy."

That's probably bad news for the rest of the field, which includes 15 of the top 16 men in the world with No. 13 Thomas Johansson of Sweden the only absentee.

Even Nadal, who has won three of his four career matches against Federer, admits that for him, the Swiss starts every match as the favorite.

Nadal, ousted by Blake in the semi-finals at Indian Wells, will be trying to improve on that performance in Miami, but also brings a sore ankle suffered in the California desert.

While Blake, seeded ninth in Miami, will be trying to back up his superb Indian Wells performance, third-seeded David Nalbandian of Argentina and No. 4 seed Andy Roddick of the United States will be trying to rebound from disappointing first-round exits.

Nalbandian fell to Thai hero Paradorn Srichaphan, while Roddick's slump continued with a loss to Russian Igor Andreev.

The only possible bright spot for Roddick is that an opening-match loss last year in Miami means he will has no points to defend on his return and could regain third place in the rankings from Nalbandian with a decent run.

On the women's side, France's Australian Open champion Amelie Mauresmo launches her campaign from the summit of the world rankings, after supplanting Belgian Kim Clijsters as the world number one on Monday.

Neither Mauresmo nor second seed and defending champion Clijsters competed at Indian Wells, where former Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova claimed her first title in nine months.

The 18-year-old Russian was buoyed by the triumph, which included a victory over five-time Grand Slam champion Martina Hingis. But the return to action of Mauresmo and Clijsters means she is seeded one place lower - at No. 4 - than she was in California.

Belgian Justine Henin-Hardenne is seeded third as she tries to rebound from a semi-final loss to Russian Elena Dementieva at Indian Wells.

But Sharapova said she believed her run in the California desert put her in prime position to emulate Clijsters' 2005 feat of winning back-to-back Tier One titles at Indian Wells and Miami.

"I'll take this as a good confidence boost, being able to play at a high level throughout a whole week, playing six matches, getting the matches that I wanted," Sharapova said.

"I enjoy playing week after week. I feel like I get better as I play more matches. You never know what can happen."

Despite the WTA's new designation of Miami as a mandatory event, injuries have depleted the field.

American Lindsay Davenport, ranked fifth in the world, withdrew because of a bulging disc in her lower back, while seven-time Grand Slam champion Serena Williams withdrew saying she didn't feel she was ready to compete at the highest level.

·
94,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its raining cats and doggies here in Miami....good in a way ....we were dryer that the Atacama Desert...Bad 'cause it delays and screws-ups all the games today.....And I got a complete pass to center court for next wednesday the 29th !!!!!! Day and Night sessions !!! :D

·
94,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Smooth start for instant replay at Key Biscayne :thumbsup:

By STEVEN WINE, AP Sports Writer
March 22, 2006

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. (AP) -- Jamea Jackson watched her groundstroke land close to the sideline, and when it was called out, she sensed a chance to make a little history.

So she requested a video replay review -- the first on the professional tennis tours -- even though she thought the ruling was correct.

"I just wanted to be first," Jackson said with a laugh. "That's what it really was all about."

Instant replay made its tour debut Wednesday at the Nasdaq-100 Open, and initial reviews were favorable. It was used only on the stadium court, which gave Jackson and opponent Ashley Harkleroad the first shot at video replays of their shots.

In a three-hour match won by Jackson, she and Harkleroad challenged two calls each, and only one ruling was reversed. But both players saw a positive impact from the biggest rule change in tennis since the introduction of the tiebreaker 36 years ago.

"It takes a lot of pressure off," Jackson said. "You don't get so angry. If you think a call is incorrect, you don't spend extra games thinking about it."

"It's a little less stress," Harkleroad said. "If you think you're sure (about a call), you're in control of that, not somebody else."

Jackson overcame a match point and beat Harkleroad 7-5, 6-7 (3), 7-5.

Brenda Schultz McCarthy, seeking a comeback at 35 after six years of retirement, lost to Samantha Stosur. The reward for Stosur is a second-round matchup with top-seeded Amelie Mauresmo.

Winners on the men's side included Belgian Christophe Rochus, who will next face six-time champion Andre Agassi, and Carlos Moya, who will next play fellow Spaniard Rafael Nadal. American qualifier Mardy Fish also advanced.

Seeded players had a first-round bye, leaving the spotlight to the new electronic replay system. In the first four matches on stadium court, nine calls were challenged, with only two reversed.

Tennis officials were pleased that the technology worked smoothly at the outset, and that player feedback was positive.

"So far there's 100 percent support, which is not always the case with a rule change for a game that has been around for 100 years," said Arlen Kantarian, the U.S. Tennis Association's chief executive for professional tennis. "To be honest, we expected a little more controversy at first."

Instant replay will makes its Grand Slam debut at the U.S. Open, and it's likely to be used at other hardcourt tournaments in the United States this summer, Kantarian said.

Players are permitted at least two challenges per set, but Jackson and Harkleroad played 78 points before the first replay occurred an hour into their match. On the first point of the second set, Jackson swatted a forehand barely wide, then looked toward the stands at her coach, Rodrigo Nascimento, as she decided whether to request a replay.

"Before the match I was really excited about it," Jackson said. "He was like, `Stay focused. If you really think one was good or out, then look at me and I'll tell you what I thought, and then you can challenge.'

"So I looked at him and he was like, `Whatever. Go for it.' And so I did."

Coaching during a match is against the rules, but chair umpire Alison Lang didn't issue a warning to Jackson. Instead, Lang announced to the crowd, "Ms. Jackson has challenged the call."

The scoreboard promptly displayed a computer video replay showing the ball landing an inch or two wide of the sideline. "OUT," the screen read, meaning the call stood.

"It's really quick," Jackson said. "I remember people were complaining about maybe it throwing off the timing and rhythm of the match, but it didn't do anything like that at all."

The system later reversed a call that went against Harkleroad. A shot she hit was ruled long, but the replay showed the ball skidded off the baseline.

As expected, each review in the opening match took less than 10 seconds. WTA Tour executive Angie Cunningham said the ball landed within 3 centimeters of the line on each of the challenged rulings.

Harkleroad said the replay system had an impact on the linesmen beyond the one reversed call.

"They're probably going to be on their best behavior with that thing going on," she said. "Sometimes maybe they get a little lazy. They do call bad line calls. But they know that this thing's going on, and they don't want to mess up."

·
94,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agassi out of Nasdaq-100 Open with back injury

March 24, 2006

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. (AP) -- Andre Agassi pulled out of the Nasdaq-100 Open on Friday because of chronic back trouble and will miss the tournament for the first time since his Key Biscayne debut in 1987.

Agassi, who turns 36 next month, said he hopes rest will help his back. But he acknowledged that he might be unable to play again.

"I really, really want to. I plan on it. I'm optimistic about it," said Agassi, who was the oldest man in the draw. "But I have to also call it like it is right now.

"Is it possible that I can't anymore? It's definitely possible. ... I'm hoping the decisions I make over the next several months will put my body in a better place."

Key Biscayne's only six-time champion, Agassi withdrew a few hours before his opening match against Christophe Rochus. Lucky loser Bjorn Phau replaced Agassi and was to play Rochus.

Agassi's back has bothered him for the past four years, and he already announced he would skip the entire clay-court season to improve his chances of playing at Wimbledon, where he last appeared in 2003. He said he won't play for the U.S. Davis Cup team against Chile on grass in California on April 7-9.

An eight-time Grand Slam champion, Agassi was runner-up to Roger Federer at the U.S. Open last September. But he has played only seven matches this year, including a loss to Tommy Haas at Indian Wells last week.

This year would have been Agassi's 20th in a row at Key Biscayne, which he won for the first time in 1990 and most recently in 2003. Wife Steffi Graf won the tournament five times, giving the family 11 titles.

"I love playing here -- a lot of memories, a lot of great matches," Agassi said. "This is disappointing. It would have been nice to be here, but it's not worth being less than my best."

·
94,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Miami HEAT Notes

Miami is 29-6 against sub-.500 teams and now leads the Southeast Division by 10 games over idle Washington. ... Wallace didn't start because he was late to a team function Friday morning, then left in the third quarter after O'Neal inadvertently elbowed him in the mouth while grabbing a rebound. ... Charlotte's Jumaine Jones saw his 32-game streak with at least one 3-pointer end. ... Heat C Earl Barron played for the first time since Nov. 12. ... With the Nasdaq-100 Open only a few miles away in Key Biscayne, tennis star Maria Sharapova sat courtside. ... Five-time Grammy winner Michael McDonald sang the national anthem and will headline a Heat charity benefit Saturday night.

Tennis star Maria Sharapova sits courtside watching the Miami Heat play the Charlotte Bobcats in an NBA basketball game in Miami, Friday, March 24, 2006. Sharapova is in Miami playing in the NASDAQ-100 tennis tournament

·
94,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Moya wins battle of friends and foes

March 24, 2006

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. (AP) -- Mentor Carlos Moya gave protege Rafael Nadal another lesson Friday.

Overcoming a slow start, Moya won the matchup of close friends from Mallorca, 2-6, 6-1, 6-1 in the second round of the Nasdaq-100 Open.

"The fact that we know each other very well is better for the one who has a lower ranking," Moya said. "In this case, it's me."

Moya, ranked 35th and unseeded, has provided guidance for Nadal and served as a role model during the precocious youngster's rise in the rankings to No. 2. The upset ended a streak of 22 consecutive wins for Nadal against his Spanish compatriots.

"For sure I didn't play 100 percent," said Nadal, slowed by a lingering ankle injury. "But he played very good, too."

The elimination of last year's runner-up opens up the half of the draw already missing six-time champion Andre Agassi. The No. 10-seeded Agassi withdrew before his opening match because of chronic back trouble.

Third-seeded David Nalbandian committed 80 unforced errors but overcame two match points, winning both with drop shots, and beat Paul Goldstein 3-6, 7-5, 7-6 (2).

No. 3 Justine Henin-Hardenne was the first seeded woman to depart. Meghann Shaughnessy upset the Belgian 7-5, 6-4.

No. 1 Amelie Mauresmo, a semifinalist last year, needed only 44 minutes to eliminate Samantha Stosur 6-0, 6-0.

No. 24 Martina Hingis earned the latest win in her comeback from a three-year layoff, beating qualifier Tian Tian Sun 6-3, 6-2. The match was the first since 2002 at Key Biscayne for Hingis, who won the title in 1997 and 2000.

Nadal said it was "nothing special" to face Moya, 10 years his senior at 29.

"But he is my best friend on the tour," Nadal said. "I know him very, very good. He knows me very good."

Moya, the Key Biscayne runner-up in 2003, dominated the final two sets by serving well and coming to the net enough to keep Nadal on the defensive. Nadal, who slightly sprained his right ankle last week, was uncharacteristically erratic with his groundstrokes.

"My physical condition is not my best now, especially after I turned my ankle," he said. "I have some problems when I play big points, when I go strong to one side. But that's not a special excuse."

Nadal lost his first service game in each of the final two sets, blowing leads of 30-love and 40-love. Moya won nine of the final 10 games and closed out the victory by floating a backhand past a charging Nadal into the corner for a winner.

"I wish I could play every day like this," Moya said. "The first set, I didn't take many risks. Then I decided to go for the point and to hit the ball hard. I guess he didn't play a great match, and I played great."

Shaughnessy, who lost her first five matches this year, showed she has regained her form as she advanced to the third round. She never faced a break point and took advantage of 27 unforced errors by Henin-Hardenne.

"She played really well, and I wasn't at my best," Henin-Hardenne said. "I missed a little bit of confidence, so you play more neutral, more in the middle than going for the winners."

Shaughnessy earned her biggest win at Key Biscayne since she upset three-time champion Venus Williams in 2003.

"They were both pretty special matches," Shaughnessy said. "This one is very special because I've been struggling lately, and haven't been playing my best tennis. So to go out and play a match like that against Justine, it means a lot to me."

No. 5 Nadia Petrova, No. 7 Patty Schnyder and No. 12 Svetlana Kuznetsova also advanced in straight sets. No. 18 Dinara Safina, No. 23 Anabel Medina Garrigues and No. 26 Gisela Dulko joined Henin-Hardenne among sidelined seeded players.

In other men's play, No. 5 Nikolay Davydenko and No. 6 Ivan Ljubicic advanced. Davydenko beat Mardy Fish 6-4, 7-5. Ljubicic defeated Robin Vik 6-3, 6-7 (2), 6-3.

No. 12 Richard Gasquet of France lost to compatriot Florent Serra 7-6 (7), 6-3. No. 21 Tommy Robredo and No. 28 Gael Monfils also were eliminated.

·
94,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rusty Clijsters loses her opening match at Key Biscayne

March 25, 2006

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. (AP) -- Playing for the first time in more than a month, Kim Clijsters said she felt rusty, and it showed.

The defending champion at the Nasdaq-100 Open squandered leads in the first and final sets and lost Saturday to Jill Craybas, 7-5, 3-6, 7-5.

Clijsters became the first woman in the tournament's 22-year history to lose her opening match the year after winning the title. She double-faulted 11 times and committed 78 unforced errors.

"It was sort of in my hands," said Clijsters, who was seeded second. "I was the one making the mistakes. I was just trying to do a little too much."

The reigning U.S. Open champion received a first-round bye and was playing for the first time since Feb. 19. Slowed by hip and ankle injuries, she has yet to win a title this year.

"I'm a player who likes to play a lot of matches," Clijsters said. "That's something I'll have to build up again. The past few months, that has been a disadvantage. That's what I'm missing right now."

Defending men's champion Roger Federer lost seven consecutive points in a tiebreaker but overcame the uncharacteristic lapse and beat Arnaud Clement 6-2, 6-7 (4), 6-0.

The match was Federer's first with instant replay, which he has opposed in the past. He was successful on one of two challenges but was displeased when the system malfunctioned and was unavailable for one game.

"Obviously that's something that is not acceptable for us players, playing with our minds," he said. "Got to give it time, I guess."

Through Federer's match, 16 of 56 challenged calls have been reversed. The system is being used only on the stadium court.

No. 4-seeded Andy Roddick, the 2003 champion, lost only two of 28 points on his first serve and beat Alberto Martin in 55 minutes, 6-3, 6-1. Roddick hit nine aces, including one at 142 mph.

No. 9 James Blake was a 6-0, 6-0 winner over Carlos Berlocq, who defeated 16-year-old Donald Young by the same score in the first round. Blake said he wasn't thinking about preserving the shutout -- his first -- as he closed in on it.

"All I think about is the fact that I need to do everything I can to win each game, because it's not, you know, a social game," he said. "It's not a country-club game where we're going to go have tea and cookies afterwards. We're doing this for a living, trying to win.

"That's my goal. It's not to embarrass anyone; it's to go out and win."

Unseeded Tim Henman beat No. 13 Lleyton Hewitt for the first time in their nine meetings, 7-6 (5), 6-3. Henman acknowledged clearing a mental hurdle.

"As in so many of these situations in tennis and in sport, it's what goes on between the ears," he said.

No. 4 Maria Sharapova swept the last five games to beat Na Li 6-2, 6-4.

Craybas, ranked 54th, won the final four games of the opening set against Clijsters and overcame a 4-2 deficit in the last set. The victory was the biggest for the 31-year-old American since she upset Serena Williams at Wimbledon last year.

"I actually had a lot of fun out there," Craybas said. "In the beginning I was trying to go for too much. Once I got over, that I got into a groove."

Clijsters and Belgian compatriot Justine Henin-Hardenne -- who lost Friday -- were eliminated in their opening matches at the same tournament for the first time since 1999.

Clijsters had never lost before the fourth round in five previous appearances at Key Biscayne. Last year she became the event's first unseeded female champion.

While her hasty departure was unprecedented on the women's side, 2004 men's champion Andy Roddick lost his opening match last year.

The top-seeded Federer was three points from victory leading 4-0 in the tiebreaker before Clement rallied to force a third set. Federer had been 8-0 in tiebreakers this year.

"He played pretty well to come back," Federer said. "The match could have been over very quickly, but he hung in there."

Clement hit only one winner in the final set while making 10 unforced errors.

Federer next plays No. 27 Tommy Haas, who lost in five sets when they met at this year's Australian Open. Haas advanced by beating beat Luis Horna 6-0, 6-3.

"He always plays good on the American hardcourts," Federer said. "I definitely have to be ready for a good match."

No. 8 Gaston Gaudio, No. 14 Juan Carlos Ferrero and No. 17 Dominik Hrbaty lost. No. 7 Guillermo Coria, No. 11 David Ferrer and No. 19 Sebastien Grosjean advanced.

Other seeded women eliminated included No. 9 Francesca Schiavone and No. 19 Nathalie Dechy. Among those advancing were No. 6 Elena Dementieva and No. 10 Anastasia Myskina.

·
94,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sunday, March 26

Event: Special Access- Lunch with Chef Michelle Bernstein
Time: 12:30 p.m.
Participants: Join celebrity chef Michelle Bernstein as she demonstrates how to prepare a delicious three-course meal. A carefully selected wine will be served with each course.

Event: 16th Annual GMTF Gala Dinner Honoring Buchholz Family
Time: 5:30 p.m.
Participants: The Buchholz family and its many contributions to tennis and the South Florida community will be honored at the Greater Miami Tennis Foundation. On hand to toast the Buchholz family will be tennis legends and television commentators Tony Trabert and Barry MacKay.

·
94,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Schedule of Play for Sunday, March 26, 2006

Stadium: 11:00 AM Start
1. Men's Singles: 3rd Round
Tomas Berdych (CZE) [26] vs. David Nalbandian (ARG) [3]

2. Men's Singles: 3rd Round
Nikolay Davydenko (RUS) [5] vs. Marcos Baghdatis (CYP) [25]

3. Women's Singles: 3rd Round
Maria Elena Camerin (ITA) Q vs. Maria Sharapova (RUS) [4]

Not Before 5:00 PM
4. Women's Singles: 3rd Round
Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) [12] vs. Martina Hingis (SUI) [24]

Stadium: 7:00 PM Start
1. Men's Singles: 3rd Round
Agustin Calleri (ARG) vs. Carlos Moya (ESP)

2. Women's Singles: 3rd Round
Elena Dementieva (RUS) [6] vs. Michaella Krajicek (NED)

Grandstand: 11:00 AM Start
1. Women's Singles: 3rd Round
Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) [13] vs. Eleni Daniilidou (GRE) Q

Radek Stepanek (CZE) [15] vs. Nicolas Massu (CHI)

3. Men's Singles: 3rd Round
Nicolas Kiefer (GER) [16] vs. Fernando Gonzalez (CHI) [18]

4. Men's Singles: 3rd Round
Ivan Ljubicic (CRO) [6] vs. Filippo Volandri (ITA) [30]

5. Men's Singles: 3rd Round
Robby Ginepri (USA) [20] vs. Christophe Rochus (BEL)

6. Women's Singles: 3rd Round
Tatiana Golovin (FRA) [22] vs. Elena Vesnina (RUS)

Court 1: 10:00 AM Start
Alona Bondarenko (UKR) Q vs. Ana Ivanovic (SCG) [14]

Mario Ancic (CRO) [22] vs. Florent Serra (FRA)

Amelie Mauresmo (FRA) [1] vs. Marion Bartoli (FRA) [30]

Victoria Azarenka (BLR) Q vs. Anastasia Myskina (RUS) [10]

5. Men's Doubles: 1st Round
Sebastien Grosjean (FRA)
Florent Serra (FRA) vs. Mark Philippoussis (AUS)
Marat Safin (RUS) WC

6. Women's Doubles: 1st Round
Eva Birnerova (CZE)
Galina Voskoboeva (RUS) Q vs. Kim Clijsters (BEL)
Caroline Maes (BEL) WC

Court 2: 10:00 AM Start
Meghann Shaughnessy (USA) vs. Sofia Arvidsson (SWE) [32]

Ai Sugiyama (JPN) [21] vs. Elena Likhovtseva (RUS) [15]

Jamea Jackson (USA) WC vs. Nadia Petrova (RUS) [5]

Katarina Srebotnik (SLO) [28] vs. Patty Schnyder (SUI) [7]

Bob Bryan (USA)
Mike Bryan (USA) [1] vs. Justin Gimelstob (USA)
Stephen Huss (AUS)

Court 3: 10:00 AM Start
Anna-Lena Groenefeld (GER) [16] vs. Jie Zheng (CHN)

Viktoriya Kutuzova (UKR) LL vs. Maria Kirilenko (RUS) [20]

3. Men's Doubles: 1st Round
Feliciano Lopez (ESP)
Fernando Verdasco (ESP) vs. Jonas Bjorkman (SWE)
Max Mirnyi (BLR) [2]

4. Women's Doubles: 1st Round
Gisela Dulko (ARG)
Maria Kirilenko (RUS) vs. Alona Bondarenko (UKR)
Kateryna Bondarenko (UKR) LL

After suitable rest
Fernando Gonzalez (CHI)
Nicolas Massu (CHI) vs. Robert Lindstedt (SWE)
Jarkko Nieminen (FIN)

Court 6: 10:00 AM Start
1. Women's Doubles: 1st Round
Lourdes Dominguez Lino (ESP)
Meilen Tu (USA) vs. Carly Gullickson (USA)
Bryanne Stewart (AUS)

Klara Koukalova (CZE) [27] vs. Jill Craybas (USA)

Virginie Razzano (FRA) vs. Anna Chakvetadze (RUS)

Eleni Daniilidou (GRE)
Anabel Medina Garrigues (ESP) vs. Zi Yan (CHN)
Jie Zheng (CHN) [6]

Court 7: 10:00 AM Start
1. Men's Doubles: 1st Round
Mark Knowles (BAH)
Daniel Nestor (CAN) [3] vs. Cyril Suk (CZE)
Pavel Vizner (CZE)

2. Men's Doubles: 1st Round
Arnaud Clement (FRA)
Michael Llodra (FRA) vs. Simon Aspelin (SWE)
Todd Perry (AUS) [8]

3. Women's Doubles: 1st Round
Emilie Loit (FRA)
Nicole Pratt (AUS) vs. Cara Black (ZIM)
Rennae Stubbs (AUS) [2]

After suitable rest
Ana Ivanovic (SCG)
Sania Mirza (IND) WC vs. Maria Elena Camerin (ITA)
Tathiana Garbin (ITA)

Court 8: 10:00 AM Start
1. Men's Doubles: 1st Round
Jordan Kerr (AUS)
Jim Thomas (USA) vs. Jonathan Erlich (ISR)
Andy Ram (ISR) [6]

2. Women's Doubles: 1st Round
Vera Dushevina (RUS)
Shahar Peer (ISR) vs. Iveta Benesova (CZE)
Barbora Strycova (CZE)

3. Women's Doubles: 1st Round
Ting Li (CHN)
Tiantian Sun (CHN) vs. Mariya Koryttseva (UKR)
Jelena Kostanic (CRO)

4. Men's Doubles: 1st Round
Frantisek Cermak (CZE)
Leos Friedl (CZE) [7] vs. Martin Damm (CZE)
Radek Stepanek (CZE)

·
94,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ljubicic, Ancic advance at Key Biscayne

March 28, 2006

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. (AP) -- Big-serving Croats Ivan Ljubicic and Mario Ancic advanced Tuesday to the quarterfinals of the Nasdaq-100 Open.

The sixth-seeded Ljubicic hit 13 aces and beat Christophe Rochus 6-3, 6-1 in 55 minutes. Ancic, seeded 22nd, had nine aces and defeated No. 5 Nikolay Davydenko 7-5, 6-4.

Ancic lost to Ljubicic in the fourth round at Indian Wells this month. They could meet in the semifinals Friday.

Ljubicic will next play unseeded Agustin Calleri, who eliminated No. 16 Nicolas Kiefer 3-6, 6-3, 7-5.

No. 12 Svetlana Kuznetsova became the first women's semifinalist by beating No. 21 Ai Sugiyama 6-0, 7-6 (4). Kuznetsova, one of four Russians in the women's final eight, had 35 winners to five for Sugiyama.

Ljubicic hit 34 winners to eight for Rochus and earned his 23rd victory this year, second only to Roger Federer's 24.

Ljubicic ranks second this year to Ivo Karlovic on the ATP Tour in aces, and he has 36 in his first three matches at Key Biscayne, second to Ancic's 38. Ljubicic also reached the Key Biscayne quarterfinals in 2001.

Ancic, who turns 22 Thursday, earned his first quarterfinal berth in a Masters Series event and improved his record this year to 18-7. Davydenko had won their two previous meetings on the tour.

·
94,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maria Sharapova was sharp yesterday....Miskina wasnt....eventhought shes another tough russian player...her 2nd serve is really really weak and very much into the net for double faults .....

:cap:

·
94,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Federer to meet Ljubicic in Key Biscayne final

March 31, 2006

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. (AP) -- An hour of court time at Crandon Park was more than enough Friday night for Roger Federer.

Even with a brief lapse, the top-seeded Federer needed only 59 minutes to reach the final at the Nasdaq-100 Open, beating David Ferrer 6-1, 6-4.

"I didn't give him much chance," Federer said. "I'm playing so well this week, it was tough for him from the start."

The result was hardly a surprise: Federer has advanced to the final in his past 11 tournaments, the longest such men's streak since John McEnroe made 12 consecutive finals in 1984.

Federer will bid for his second successive Key Biscayne title Sunday against No. 6 seed Ivan Ljubicic, a Croat who advanced to his first final in the United States by beating No. 3 David Nalbandian 6-1, 6-2.

Federer has won his past six meetings against Ljubicic, although three times they split sets. Overall Federer leads 9-3.

"Every time when I have to play against him, it's like, 'OK, maybe this is the one,"' Ljubicic said. "But it's never happening. A couple times I was very close. I really just hope to be at least close on Sunday."

Ljubicic is the first Croat to reach the men's final since Goran Ivanisevic in 1996. Ivanisevic woke up with a stiff neck the morning of his final and was forced to retire against Andre Agassi.

"He told me yesterday, 'If you win (in the semifinals), be careful with your neck,"' Ljubicic said. "He said, 'Sleep on the same pillow and don't open the windows."'

The women's final Saturday will be an all-Russian matchup between No. 4 seed Maria Sharapova and No. 12 Svetlana Kuznetsova, each bidding for her first Key Biscayne title.

The 11th-seeded Ferrer was coming off a win over Andy Roddick in the quarterfinals, but Federer quickly cooled him off, taking the opening set in 18 minutes. A flurry of errors, including two sloppy volleys, then put Federer in a 3-0 hole to start the second set.

The lapse didn't last long.

"I played very aggressive in the beginning, but obviously it's not so easy to do that on a consistent basis," Federer said. "Once I was down 3-love, I chose to play with a lower risk and sort of make him play a few shots."

Federer rallied to win the next five games with a typically vast array of winners, including a crosscourt backhand that almost sent Ferrer spinning into the concrete like a corkscrew in pursuit.

"That's why he's No. 1 in the world," Ferrer said. Federer improved to 27-1 this year and extended his record winning streak in the ATP Masters Series to 23 matches.

Ljubicic was nearly as dominant in his semifinal win. Bidding for his first Masters Series title at age 27, he lost only five points on his serve.

"Almost perfect," Nalbandian said. "When he play like this, it's very tough."

Ljubicic hit 12 aces without a double-fault and faced no break points. The 6-foot-4 Croat won 24 of 25 points with his first serve, making him 60-for-62 in the past two rounds. He closed with a 141 mph ace, his fastest serve of the day.

"Everything went my way," Ljubicic said. "I'm serving fantastic, I'm moving well, I'm seeing the ball well."

Nalbandian played nearly flawless tennis in his quarterfinal victory over Mario Ancic, but he struggled from the start against Ljubicic.

The Argentine won less than half his service points and faced 17 break points. When Nalbandian lost serve to fall behind 5-1 in the opening set, he whacked a ball into the stands in frustration, but the outburst failed to improve his play.

"He played better than me -- everything perfect," Nalbandian said.

"I was serving really good, but you can't beat Nalbandian only with the serve," Ljubicic said. "He was struggling, but I played a good match."

Ljubicic improved to 25-3 this year and ranks second in victories to Federer. If he wins the title, he'll climb to fourth in the rankings, ahead of Roddick.

·
94,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kuznetsova and Sharapova to clash in Miami tennis final

AFP
March 31, 2006

MIAMI (AFP) - Former US Open champion Svetlana Kuznetsova routed the top-seeded Frenchwoman Amelie Mauresmo 6-1, 6-4 to reach the final of the WTA and ATP NASDAQ-100 Open.

Mauresmo had won their first four encounters before Kuznetsova posted a 7-6 (13-11), 6-4 win in the Dubai quarter-finals earlier this year.

The 2004 US Open champion, Kuznetsova will meet fourth-seeded countrywoman Maria Sharapova, who was awarded a 6-3, 6-7 (5/7), 4-3 triumph after Tatiana Golovin retired with a left ankle injury.

"For the moment its working and I'm very happy," Kuznetsova said.

Golovin, who was born in Moscow but is a French citizen, jumped to a 2-1 lead in the third set.

But she rolled her ankle while attempting to track down a shot and, after having it taped, determined she could not continue.

Sharapova has won her two prior meetings with Kuznetsova, both on grass.

Kuznetsova said she has her game back in order after going through a rough period of time following her US Open triumph.

"One day I was reading an interview with Marat (Safin) and he did the same thing, winning the US Open young and when he was not ready for it," said Kuznetsova.

"I had many people telling me different opinions and I didnt know where to go. I didnt know whose part to take. At the end of 2005 I just took my time. I just decided I have to change.

"I decided the way I have to go and this is what worked for me. For the moment its working and Im very happy."

Mauresmo couldn't execute her game plan.

"I started in the second set to change things a little bit, started to serve and volley, started coming in a little bit earlier in the points, but I couldnt find it and I couldnt play deep enough for her to really be annoyed so all credit to her," Mauresmo said.

·
94,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I took TONS of pivs last wednesday at Crandon Park....when I get back home from Tallahassee/Casselberry I will post them here

·
94,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anther one for the Swiss Machine ..... Congrats .... Hopefully...though...I'll get to see somebody else in the men's finals in 2007 !!! :cap:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts