Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its offical!!!!! :D

Man City is going for some new players next season....

By the end of this faboulous season they want to pick up the greats of Edgar Davids who is a free agent from Juventus and Stefan Effenberg who is from Bayern Munich and personally, is highly regarded player, that had led Munich into the UEFA glory! :D

Man City is on a collision course to fame and stardom?? :)

No team i can remember has done a thing like this! :)
Not that i can remember, not Blackburn or Fulham....

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Looks like they've found their first one, PETER SCHMEICHEL.....(Cue dramatic cliffhanger music).

·
Registered
629 Posts
Word is that Effenberg will sign before the end of the season and here's an exclusive for you-remember you heard it here 1st....................................... Bergkamp will sign in the summer;)

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so now Man city is buying out the players :)

Do you think they will be one of the best teams eventually to come out??? Do you expect a 4-5 position in the E.P.L or even more??

Is there going to be a change in the jersey? cause there ugly :( i miss the KAPPA style, brother! :)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Kappa18 said:
Do you think they will be one of the best teams eventually to come out??? Do you expect a 4-5 position in the E.P.L or even more??

Is there going to be a change in the jersey? cause there ugly :( i miss the KAPPA style, brother! :)
I think you are being a little hasty in predicting a top 5 finish or better.For me a top 10 position would be fine.Remember it's only 4 seasons ago we were in the 2nd (old 3rd )division.

As for the Kappa kit,I thought it was horrid and was glad it went! There will be a change to the home kit next season,probably just the sponsor with a new adidas kit being brought out for our move to the new stadium in 1yrs time;)

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But i just think that Man City has the potential this time to make it big! :) they got a new coach, new stadium, no life form in there club, and i think that will make them very well form! :)

Im not hoping for much, just to be better than tottenham is all i ask! :) if you have such good players, don't u guys deserve to be in a good place :)

Can't wait for the addidas jersey! :D

heheh

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yeah I agree we have got the potential now to become a decent top side,but all I'm saying is that it takes time for this to happen.Don't forget that the current City team or manager haven't even lost 2 consecutive games yet!!! With much better opposition next term it will be then that we really see how good the squad is and only then could we compare ourselves with the top 6 sides in the PL. Personally I think we are as good if not better than many well placed teams like Spurs,Villa and West Ham but they have the experience of the PL where as many of our players have only played there in a struggling team.As the saying goes,lets not try to run before we have learned how to walk!!

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Man City Planning Summer Swoop For Paul Ince
News Archive

From United to City, via Liverpool & Italy, for Ince (Allsport)
04/17/2002. Manchester City boss Kevin Keegan has targeted another former Manchester United play for next season, according to the Mirror.

The tabloid claim that Keegan wants Paul Ince to join the Premiership new boys and join forces with another ex-Old Trafford star, Peter Schmeichel.

Ince is out of contract at Middlesbrough this summer and is yet to agree a new deal.

soccerage

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
City linked with Empoli star

Manchester City are the latest club to be linked with Empoli’s Massimo Maccarone. The Under-21 international, who actually made his debut for the full side against England last month, is a £10m target for the newly promoted Premiership side. However, they will face stiff opposition from a host of top Italian and English clubs.

channel4

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Friday, April 19, 2002
£4million Higginbotham on Keegan's shopping list
By Neil Moxley

Derby County's Danny Higginbotham is the man Kevin Keegan has chosen to fill former England left back Stuart Pearce's boots at Manchester City.

Higginbotham clashes with Liverpool's Emile Heskey
(MikeFinn-Kelcey/Allsport)
Keegan signed Aston Villa goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel last week and will now turn his attentions to another former Old Trafford man. Higginbotham can play either at full back or centre half and has blossomed during Derby's disappointing season following his £2m move from United.

He is due to pick up his player-of-the-year award before next week's home match with Leeds. The 23-year-old will command a fee in the region of £4m and, along with Liverpool target Chris Riggott, will provide County boss John Gregory with the funds he needs to breathe fresh life into his side.

Although Keegan aims to make several new signings, he is determined to keep his best players and has opened talks with midfielder Ali Benarbia, 33, over a new deal. Benarbia, voted City's player-of-the-year by fans, will be offered a one-year extension to his contract to keep him at the club until the end of his career.

Keegan said: 'Ali is nowhere near the best paid player at this club and he has never complained or even asked about money.

'I tried to get the board to agree to give him something in his last year that would alter his contract a little bit. They agreed to that and the chairman now knows that and it is up to him, the board of directors and myself to sit down and offer Ali something.'

soccernet

·
Registered
3 Posts
Man. City

I have heard today at collage that City have signed Effenberg, but I checked on the Offical Man. City website and there is nowt there. So Ali, where do U think City will finish next season??

I reckon Mid-Table and a good run in the League Cup :D
:crazy:

Moving to another topic, why in the blue hell are all these women footballers complete dogs??? It really gets on me nerves!!
:mad:

·
Registered
629 Posts
RVD said:
I So Ali, where do U think City will finish next season??

I reckon Mid-Table and a good run in the League Cup :D
:crazy
I think we can finish between 5th and 10th.A lot will depend on us converting our chances.Although we scored 108 last season we must have missed 300!!!.We won't get no-where near as many chances in the prem and will have to convert more.This is why Keegan is still after another striker.

I first mentioned Effenberg will be coming several weeks ago,and now with his huge fall-out in Germany I think it will happen very soon.;)

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
yes...effenberg is coming...

Thursday, April 25, 2002
Effenberg agrees to City switch
By John Drayton

Stefan Effenberg, the former Germany international, has agreed to join Kevin Keegan's Manchester City revolution.
The Bayern Munich midfielder has accepted a two-year contract worth around £30,000 a week and joins on a free transfer on July 1.

The outspoken star will join former Manchester United goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel in City's bid to take the Premiership by storm next season.

Effenberg was wanted by Fulham and Tottenham earlier in the season, but jumped at the chance to move to newly-promoted City.

He will see out the final two months of his contract at Bayern - but has already said yes to a pre-contract deal at Maine Road. The 33-year-old will sign within the next seven days.

Keegan made Effenberg his top target as soon as City won promotion and he has taken just three weeks to lure him to Manchester.

The City boss believes the arrival of Effenberg and Schmeichel will signal intent from a club that is on the up again.

Effenberg has been a central figure in Bayern's success in recent years, but will be leaving the club under a cloud.

He has always been a controversial figure, retiring from international football at 25 after being sent home in disgrace from the 1994 World Cup Finals.

The midfielder was axed after making an abusive gesture to German fans and played only twice more for his country in a brief comeback in 1998.

Only last week he caused uproar in Germany by offending the nation's unemployed in a controversial interview with Playboy magazine.

Effenberg said: 'I would cut spending on the unemployed to an absolute minimum so they would be forced to work.'

He was dropped from the Bayern team to face Hertha Berlin last Saturday after claiming the unemployed were lazy and sponging off the welfare system.

European champions Bayern condemned him for his comments, and he may have played his last game for them. German legend Franz Beckenbauer, Bayern's president, believes Effenberg should be left out of Saturday's match at Wolfsburg for his own safety.

Beckenbauer said: 'Effenberg's comments have started an avalanche which cannot be stopped.

'I told him not to go to Wolfsburg as it is a working-class city and going there would only lead to further misunderstanding.'

soccernet

·
Registered
629 Posts
Effenberg's move to City is off with the club refusing to meet his wage demands of between 40-60k a week.With Galatasary also interested in him it seems he is playing 1 off against the other for his own benefit.Whilst I think he would have made an excellent signing for us,I agree that we shouldn't pay ridiculous wages as this will only upset the existing players ans also lead us into debt. Keegan has stated he will only buy players that want to play for the club and on this evidence it appears Effenberg doesn't fit the bill:mad:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
City will win the league next season

Then they will win the European Cup

Then the treble for the next 3 years

They will turn Manchester into Milan I tell ya

Why?

Because City are a MASSIVE club.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Thursday, April 25, 2002
Bayern's Effenburg rejects Manchester City switch
By Dominic Raynor

Manchester City's attempts to lure Stefan Effenberg to Maine Road look to be over after the German midfielder reportedly rejected a move to the Premiership newcomers.

Effenberg: City move off
(AlexLivesey/Allsport)
City are refusing to comment on the deal but the 33-year-old, who is free to leave Bayern Munich on July 1, told German Sports agency SID: 'I will definitely not play for Manchester. I phoned the club this week and turned them down.

'I am talking to three clubs, among them Galatasaray. I will announce later where I will be going to.'

It is thought the proposed two-year deal broke down over wage demands with the ex-international demanding around £60,000-a-week. That is more than double what the current top earners at Maine Road take home each week.

City were expected to discuss Effenberg at a board meeting today and are still hopeful that they can agree terms on a two-year deal with the 33-year-old.

Effenberg, who is also wanted by Galatasaray, has been one of manager Kevin Keegan's prime transfer targets for some time now and he has said he would like to have two major signings in place before the World Cup.

Keegan has already landed former Manchester United and Denmark goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel, 38, who agreed to move to Maine Road after being released by Aston Villa.

Effenberg caused uproar in Germany last week when he said that most jobless people in the country were too lazy to look for work because unemployment benefits were too generous.

German media speculated that Effenberg would never play for Bayern again after he was dropped from the team for last Saturday's 3-0 victory over Hertha Berlin and missed training on Monday.

soccernet

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Liebero said:
City will win the league next season

Then they will win the European Cup

Then the treble for the next 3 years

They will turn Manchester into Milan I tell ya

Why?

Because City are a MASSIVE club.
Damn Utd fan... :D ;)

Good to see ya back at xtratime, Roy, btw!!! :)

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Well the first thign kev needs to go for is two Defenders. Pearce is gone, and Dunne and Howey couldn't cut it last year. Maybe Mettomo will do well though, he is a class player and deserves more of a run in the first team. They don't need a player like Effenberg. Horlock is a good holder, and has proved to do well in the premiership. However he is not as good as Davids, but he has closed the door on us too. A Striker is a must. Goater admits he can't hack the premiership. Macken is yet to play that level. Wanchope is good but has too many international commitments. Huckerby is just amazing and we MUST use him. Keegan would have to be a madman to not play him. However we need a natural goalscorer, so that is another to go for. The wingbacks are fine as they are.

~ The Green ;)ne

·
Registered
629 Posts
The Green One said:
Well the first thign kev needs to go for is two Defenders. Pearce is gone, and Dunne and Howey couldn't cut it last year. Maybe Mettomo will do well though, he is a class player and deserves more of a run in the first team.
Agree with you on 'Lucy' mate,but I suspect he's upset KK in some way.He was playing superbly and a 1st team regular before the African Nations Cup but has hardly figured since his return.If there has been a problem I hope it can be resolved because he could do well for us at the back next season.;)

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Schmeichel Comfirmed As Number One At Man City
News Archive

Schmeichel will keep Nicky Weaver out of the team next season (Allsport)
05/02/2002. Manchester City boss Kevin Keegan has confirmed that new signing Peter Schmeichel will be his number one choice goalkeeper next season.

Keegan shrewdly signed the Dane from Aston Villa ready for City's assault on the Premiership from August, and despite his advancing years, maintains that Schmeichel will be first choice ahead of Nicky Weaver and Carlo Nash.

He said, "Peter will start off as first choice but like everybody at every club if he gets injured and someone does well he might have to wait to get back in. You can guess that if Peter is fit then he is going to play for the season he is here, but if the others do get a chance then it is up to them. I have to do what my heart and brain tell me what is right for this club and I think what we have done is exactly right in our situation."

soccerage

1 - 20 of 82 Posts