Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugghhh!!!! :depress: :( :dontcare:

Just saw this on the Yahoo World Cup site:

Seoul, May 29 (Yonhap) -- Goalkeeper Kasey Keller of the U.S. World Cup squad sustained an injury to the left elbow Wednesday, which hospital officials suggest might force the player to miss World Cup matches.

Sources at the Asan Medical Center in southern Seoul said an X-ray examination showed no damage to bones, but they tried to have the U.S. player undergo a magnetic resonance imagining (MRI) examination for fears he might have had torn muscle.

However, the attempt fell through as Keller felt much pain as he placed the injured elbow to have an MRI photo taken, officials said. Keller plans to try another MRI examination on Thursday.

"It does not appear a light injury as he feels so much pain," sources said. They added that the injury might force him to miss World Cup matches.

What caused the injury was not known.

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
This is getting ridiculous! Players going through years without injuries, and then all of a sudden, just a few days before World Cup, they start getting freak injuries!

Too much training? Too much pressure? What's going on?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now they are saying the injury is not serious. Geez, this is rough on my heart. :dazed:

Keeper Keller injures elbow; U.S. starter still unknown
May 29, 2002
SportsLine.com wire reports

SEOUL, South Korea -- U.S. goalkeeper Kasey Keller strained his left elbow in practice Wednesday, an injury team doctors said was minor.

Keller, in a tight race with Brad Friedel for the starting job in the World Cup, was examined by the U.S. team's medical staff, which described the injury as a contusion.

"Kasey was checked out by the doctors after tweaking his arm," team spokesman Jim Moorhouse said. "The doctors said it is not expected to sideline him at all."

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hern, before I EVEN read your follow-up post I was going to predict 100% that Keller wasn't going to be out of the WC!

Glad for the follow-up, though. Thought you might just be baiting us for some posting action on theXtratime board . . . . which has been unusually quiet lately. I think maybe the regulars are players and not "posters" at heart. Players know there's a time to just shut up and get on with the game! I'm READY!:cool:

Oldplayer

P.S. How about my Dallas Burn? They lead the MLS . . . in draws!:howler:

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oldplayer said:
Glad for the follow-up, though. Thought you might just be baiting us for some posting action on theXtratime board . . . . which has been unusually quiet lately. I think maybe the regulars are players and not "posters" at heart. Players know there's a time to just shut up and get on with the game! I'm READY!:cool:
I agree in that there comes a time when you've talked about an upcoming match enough and all you can do is shutup and play the game.

Anyone heard from lilphenom lately? He's been unusually quiet.

·
Registered
144 Posts
poor kasey
1st bora screws him out of '94, sampson ridiculously mismanages '98, and now in his prime for this to happen......
brad will work, he just makes poorer decisions, misjudges a few more balls, but he is much more solid than used to be
I just think kasey is a 'money' player and THAT is what you want in the world cup.

There are 'practice' players, and 'match' players, we all have known/played with them or know which category WE would be.
LOL

I was/am a match AND practice player as I give it all both ways, but would lean towards the match keeper. ask my teammates, over the years.
:)

call me 'money'

ROFLMAO

......actually, never speak with them.......
LOL

;)

·
Registered
674 Posts
OSF Look Who Posted!

Goalie-O,

Thanks for the posts. PaulMay, also needing some professional help like yourself, has convinced me that Keller is the one these past months. Like you, PM cites Casey's game instincts, etc.

I don't know about goal keepers, but some of us field players are "gamers" largely due to the fact that the physical aspect and mental aspect are an important part of our game. These should not be used routinely on teammates (except when some specific "educational purposes" are merited, of course). Midfielders, especially, should have an extra level that is lethal and is used only on game day. I remember my college coach asking me after one of my first games, why I didn't play like that in practice. Upon reflection, he said he was glad I didn't!

We need some midfielders who will do the same this WC or else it is going to be an ugly three games. I am worried about the physical toughness of Korea. I am NOT worried about the toughness of Friedel or Keller. They will show up!

Oldplayer

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
Yeah, it's nice to see Goalio show up once in a blue moon! :D

As for our starting keeper, Keller just gives everyone a little more confidence, as he has demonstrated that he can save everyone's behind when he has a superb game!

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
From Sportsline.com:

Keller didn't attend practice Thursday morning, a day after bruising his left elbow during a collision with teammate Carlos Llamosa.

"It's just a bruise," Keller said later in the day, before the Americans scrimmaged against Costa Rica. "Hopefully, it will all be OK."

Keller had an X-ray and an MRI exam, and both were negative, U.S. team spokesman Jim Moorhouse said.

U.S. coach Bruce Arena expected Keller to be sidelined for one to four days.

"We'll have to see how he responds to treatment," Arena said. "We are not concerned this will affect his ability to play in this World Cup."

Keller was hurt when Llamosa tried for a header during practice yesterday.

Arena has not made a decision on his goalkeeper for the U.S. opener against Portugal on Wednesday, and said it's possible he would split the first two games between Keller and Friedel. The Americans' second game is against co-host South Korea on June 10, and they finish the first round against Poland on June 14.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Friedel Extends Contract with Blackburn

In other goalie news:

BLACKBURN, England (AP) -- Brad Friedel, competing to become the starting goalkeeper for the United States during the World Cup, agreed to a four-year contract extension with Blackburns Rovers of England's Premier League.

http://sports.yahoo.com/m/sow/news/ap/20020530/ap-friedel-blackburn.html

·
Registered
144 Posts
Keller update

According to SkySports tonight, Kasey's injury is just a bruise.
He will be ready if needed, to start the first match.

Sorry Tony.

;)
LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts