Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
KEANE HAPPY AT LEEDS
by Chris Bargh

UNITED striker Robbie Keane insisted last night he was happy at Elland Road after he returned from the World Cup to a heroes welcome in Dublin as the Republic of Ireland squad arrived back on Tuesday evening.
Keane was one of the stars of the show out in Japan and South Korea where the Irish shrugged off the shock of losing skipper Roy Keane before the tournament to put up a gallant show that was cruelly ended by Spain after a penalty shoot-out in Jeonju on Sunday.

Mick McCarthy's side came from behind three times, with Keane grabbing vital goals against Germany, Saudi Arabia and Spain to prove his class at world level.

And his partnership in attack with Blackburn's Damien Duff was one of the most talked about at the competition.

Now the 21-year-old will hope to push his claims again for a place in the Leeds side when the season gets underway in August.

Having lost his place to Robbie Fowler in the latter part of the season, Keane, who is being linked with a move away from United, will hope to get the nod from manager David O'Leary.

At Dublin airport Robbie said: "I was pleased with my performances at the World Cup. I'm a striker and I scored three goals so I'm happy with that.

"I'm happy where I am at Leeds and I just want to relax now for a few days and enjoy myself."

When asked about his lack of recent first-team appearances for Leeds he added: "The manager picks the team and he has his own ideas but I don't want to think about that now. I just want to go off and enjoy a break."

Later up to 100,000 fans gathered in Dublin's Phoenix Park for a celebratory concert in honour of the squad, also including United's Gary Kelly and Ian Harte.

Manager Mick McCarthy and his players were greeted by flag-waving supporters for a celebratory concert in honour of the "Boys in Green".

McCarthy told the ecstatic fans: "We were told to expect a welcome - but nothing like this. It makes you feel very humble and very proud to be Irish."

Keane added: "It's nice to be back, I'm looking forward to seeing my family. But it would be nice to still be out there."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I never want Keane to leave. He is an awsome player and so talented. Maybey his performance at the World Cup will give O'Leary the sign to put him and Fowler in the starting line-up...

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure alot of the Leeds fans would like to see him on the park a whole lot more. I'm know he would be able to bag a few more goals than Viduka and he is just able to find a great shot on goal from almost every position. After his World Cup campaigne I would be very dissapointed not to see him in the starting 11 game after game. I feel Keane will have a great season and I hope he is 1st on the team sheet... :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts