1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
8-0
11-0

These ladies just love to score

The women’s team continues to show its class in the Copa Ouro (Gold Cup) in the USA. After trouncing Costa Rica 8 - 0 in their opening match of the tournament, Brazil ran amuck this Sunday in Louisville, Kentucky. The victim this time was a modest Trinidad and Tobago team that had to retrieve the ball eleven times from the back of their net..

The player of the match was striker Katia Cilene, who scored an impressive seven times. Roseli got two and Daniela Alves, Cidinha and Monica one apiece to ensure Brazil’s classification for the semi-finals of the event.

Brazil’s next opponents have a similarly devastating record - the USA have won both their matches with nineteen goals for and none against and share the leadership of Group A with Brazil. The decisive clash is scheduled for Tuesday 27 in Foxboro, Massachusetts

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brazil:

Andreia, Simone Gomes, Juliana, Daniela Alves (Deva), Tania; Cidinha, Formiga (Priscila), Katia Cilene, Sissi; Monica and Roseli (Maycon).

Coach: Ze Duarte

(Ze uses his familiy name when coaching the birds :) )

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Aren't the Yanks the best in Female football????

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
yes they are,
but we should have won the semi final last year..WHICH WAS ROBBED!:(
Sissi and Pretinha (little blackie) are just BRILLIANT!:)
vai Brasil da um show, e mete a bola na rede!!!:)

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Elissandra

It should come as no surprise that one of the players that women’s team right winger Elissandra admires the most is Jorginho, who played in the same position on the men’s team. Currently with Portuguesa-SP, Elissandra Regina Cavalcanti is a women’s first team player. She is not playing in the Copa Ouro due to knee surgery she underwent two months ago. Nenem, as she is affectionately known on the football field, is currently recovering from the operation but expects to be fit for the Sydney Olympics in September. Elissandra, 24, was born in Porto Velho, and has gained valuable experience over the years and her dream is that she and her teammates are recognized for all their efforts for women’s football over the past few years.
Excerpts from a recent interview :

W: - When did you start to play football?
Elissandra - At the age of 12. I kicked the ball around in the streets with the local kids. I then joined a team in the district I lived in and thus began my career. I turned professional at 17, and played in the Brazil Cup playing for a team from the state of Rondonia. We played against a team called Saad from Sao Paulo, and the club’s director liked my football and signed me up along with two friends of mine.

W. - So you left your home in Rondonia for Sao Paulo. How did your family feel about this?
E. - All my family lives in Rondonia and I have now lived in Sao Paulo for three years. It was tough for my parents at first as I am the youngest of the family and they did not want me to be too far away from home. But they always gave me the freedom to make up my own mind.

W. - Did you find it easy to make this move?
E. - Nothing is easy when you want to be the best. It is not easy to leave all the home comforts behind, and go off to try and find your own identity and freedom…. it is always difficult at first.

W. - Did you have to give your academic studies?
E. - I had to stop because I traveled so much during competitions. There are so many games in so many different places. I stopped studying at High School in the eighth grade, but I really do intend to finish my schooling and would love to go to University later on. I want to be a lawyer!

W. - When were you first called up to represent Brazil?
E. - In an International tournament in 1995, in Uberlandia. The competition was preparation for the World Cup in the same year.
W. - How do you rate Brazil’s chances in the next Olympics?
E. - We are going for Gold!

W. - Who do you think are the toughest opponents?
E. - As always, the USA. We always seem to come of worse when we play them. Then there is the question of the refereeing, who rarely seem to favor Brazil. They seem to think that we are a malicious bunch. This image has certainly not helped the women’s team. The referees give away penalties against us thinking that we are making unnecessary scenes.

W. - What is your biggest dream?
E. - My dream, along with most of my teammates is that all our efforts for women’s football are recognized. I really believe that this may happen if we start to win competitions and particularly the Olympics this year.

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Next result: draw against yankee brides !The women’s team played a great game to draw with a strong USA side nil-all last Tuesday (27/06) in the Copa Ouro, Foxboro, Massachussets. As second placed in Group A Brazil will now play China, who were first placed in Group B in the semifinal on, Saturday, 1 July, in Louisville.

It was a fierecely fought contest with a lot of fouls and cards being dolled out. At the end of the day it was the US that came off best. With a draw and no goal difference, the winner of Group A had to be decided by the toss of a coin - and the US won.

Lady luck did not smile on Brazil, as they created all the chances during the game. The American keeper, Mullinix, was on great form, making virtually impossible saves mainly from Katia Cilene.

The US also showed some attacking football. The Olympic champions showed their class with swift counter attacks that often broke through the Brazilian defence, giving defenders Juliana and Monica a lot of work to do clearing up.

In the 44th minute of the game, Andreia saved a penalty against Brazil, avoiding defeat by a whisker, which would not have been a fair result for what was a very evenly matched game.

Brazil - Andreia, Simone Gomes, Juliana, Monica, Daniela; Tania, Cidinha, Formiga, Sissi; Nildinha and Katia Cilene. Coach: Ze Duarte.

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The USA won the Copa Ouro last Monday night in Massachusetts by beating Brazil by 1 - 0. China came third after winning 2 -1 over Canada. Eight teams took part in the tournament hosted by the winners between 23 June and 03 July: The USA, Brazil, China, Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica, Trinidad & Tobago and Guatemala.

The US team anchor and the player responsible for their win was Milbrett, who scored the only goal of the match after 44 minutes of the first half. The striker was also named the best player of the competition. Brazil’s major problem was failing to get past a tight-knit US defence. The US concentrated on playing as defensively as possible and only let one goal past during the entire tournament.

The Copa Ouro was a good pre-Olympic trial for the September games in Sydney. Brazil definitely proved that it can win gold on a good day.

The teams:

Brazil: Andreia (Maravilha), Juliana, Daniela Alves, Tania e Cidinha; Katia Cilene (Maycon), Sissi, Rosana, Deva; Monica and Roseli.
Coach: Ze Duarte.

The USA: Mullinix, Fair, Pearce, Chastain, Hamm, Foudy, Parlow, Lilly, Fawcett, Milbrett and Sobrero.
Coach: April Heinrichs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts