Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
01/13/2004. A Hamburg court has ruled in favour of Bayern Munich goalkeeper Oliver Kahn in his lawsuit against Electronic Arts.

Kahn filed a lawsuit against the video game makers over the use of his image in their best-selling game FIFA 2002.

Electronic Arts argued that they had the license of 'FIFPro,' which allows them to use the names and images of many footballers.

Electronic Arts will now be appealing the decision.

soccerage.com
------------------------------------

:howler: :howler: What a donkey! What is so bad about using his face in a game? :howler:

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
if the court rules in Kahn's favor then EA will have to pay him for past usage of his image and pay him or offer him royalties for any future usage of his image.

the thing is I don't know how a court could rule for his favor since EA hold the FIFPro license which should include Kahn's image rights.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JKris said:
Is it about using it in game or on the box cover? Because I believe you need more and FIFPRO if you use his face on the cover.
No, Henry is on the 2002 cover in the UK and I think Zlatan is on the Swedish version. Maybe in Germany he may be on the front, but I haven't seen that. I think thats true, Jkris, because they say "image," this can't be actaully on the game because FIFA 2002 doesn't have anybody's specific image, but a chioce of about 10. In FIFA 2003 they started meking the famous players realistic on the game.

·
Registered
14,769 Posts
this happens a lot.

When every player turn pro athlete, they are obligated to sign, whether you accept or not, a contract that grant the league the copy right of the player's face, names and basically everything image that represent the player.

What i think is that the lisencing of the FIFpro thing might not had been established very well when Khan entered the league, so he never agreed to this in the first place. What i mean is that the lisencing came after him playing for teams. This is possible since khan never played in another league so this might be a big factor.

This matter is clear cut though, i don't know how and why he would drag this thing; it's not like the game is making him look bad or anything, most of the time he's the best GK in the game.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts