Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
1st Tier Poster
48,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet."

Hell yeah.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Papoose said:
You need to be extremely fluent in a language before you can make trustworthy literary criticisms.

....sometimes ones native language will do though, given the awesome 'invention' of translations....

And Kafka is certainly great. The tread title makes me think of another supreme author though, Haruki Murakami and his "Kafka on the Shore". Wonderful, addictive, illuminative and spectacularly imaginative :star: .

·
Administrator
29,832 Posts
Although great literary criticism is irrelevant; we would be in great trouble if every great author who also was a critic had to trust only in his language (or those he doimained) to think about literature...It would be more annoying that the classic vs. romantic thing...

·
THE
13,983 Posts
Andy Christ said:
Lately I've been reading Kafka late at night. This man sure knew how to write.

Hell yeah.
Aren'ät you afraid that you will end up in mental institution? I mean, I don't particulary like people myself but such ideas are quite dangerous, so you should force yourself go out and meet the world.

Tho, if Kafka ever had our public transport experience...

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
I love the metamorphosis. The first line is classic. It is very sad but so powerful for a short story.

·
Banned
19 Posts
I'm actually reading "The Metamorphosis" right now. A lot of my literary professors talk about him, so I figured I'd read what all the fuss is about :rollani:

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
middlemiddle said:
I'm actually reading "The Metamorphosis" right now. A lot of my literary professors talk about him, so I figured I'd read what all the fuss is about :rollani:
I had to deal with him in German literature class this year... got an A. :party:

But honestly, it's a very interesting book. Although I can't judge the translation since I read the German original.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Andy Christ said:
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet."

Hell yeah.
That's a very nice quote. Which book was it?

·
Outstanding Post of the Year 2007
2,487 Posts
Glen said:
...Wonderful, addictive, illuminative and spectacularly imaginative :star: ...
Kinda like you, right?

·
Outstanding Post of the Year 2007
2,487 Posts
Andy Christ said:
Lately I've been reading Kafka late at night. This man sure knew how to write.

Hell yeah.
Excellent you win some sort of prize for literary criticism. Such erudition...you da man

1 - 20 of 33 Posts