Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hmm...seems that Monaco are interested in him. I think that JVP should have went to play abroad a long time ago.

RedEagle you are right, awhile back you said that Figo would not be half as good had he stayed in Sporting and not moved to barca. JVP should have moved to Deportivo and perhaps we would have a better national team today. The only team in Portugal where you actually improve your game is with FC Porto, because they practically play in the other leagues in addition to playing in Portugal :)

------------------
FOREVER PORTO!
FOREVER THE NORTH!
SEMPRE PORTUGAL!

http://www.fcporto-online.com

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yeah I just heard that too, I think Costinha was the one who said that.
I agree that if João Pinto was in a better team he would probably play much better. Maybe he will be more lucky now, but not many portuguese players playing abroad were as successful as Rui Costa or Figo.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Actually,

In a prior post when I was known as Sniper, I compared the successes of the great Joao Pinto and Luis Figo. I stated that is Pinto had gone abroad, his skills would have superceded those of Figo. All of my fellow Portuguese on this board called me nuts. I believe only one person agreed with me, either redeagle or SLB. However, like in any other industry, an employee who remains stagnant in one company becomes complacent.

I said it before and I will say it again, had Pinto left Portugal at his peak, he would at the very least be at par with Figo!!!!

In retrospect, I am happy he left, for he will show the world that he is the best Portuguese player since Eusebio!!!!!!

Viva o Joao Pinto o melhor para sempre!!!!(i think that's how you spell it!!haha)

------------------
Author formerly known as Sniper!

·
Registered
90 Posts
i have to disagree with you guys (in part), joao pinto played one year in spain (90-91) for atletico madrid, and he mist his opportunity to shine. of course he was really young (20 years old i think), but figo went to barca at 22. in my opinion, if a player want to succeed somewhere, it must be at the right club at the right time. look anelka, when he was with arsenal this guys was really a threat for defenders, but with real madrid, he's not as good.

maybe joao wasn't ready at 20, but he sould have tried 2 or 3 years ago. as for his next club, he should pick a club where he's gonna have is place on the strating line-up.

i wish him the best

chao!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
So the first rumor is Monaco, huh?
Before it is all said and done, I figure to hear Pinto linked with every club in the world, from Sporting, to Porto, to Barca, to Man Utd, to PSG, to even the New England Revolution!!!!

I very much agree that if Joao Pinto had gone overseas earlier, he would definitely be much better. However, I don't think he would have been as good as Figo, but pretty close. I remember watching when they played together in the 1991 U20 world cup; the press always made Joao Pinto out to be the star, but watching the games you could see that Figo, Rui Costa, and Peixe were the better players.

Peixe, ah, now there is a talent that was definitely wasted playing in Portugal. He picked up some seriously bad habits, i.e. ****ty tackling, and was never the same player. Also, that 6 month stint on Sevilla's bench didn't help.

D

·
0 Posts
This morning (Wednesday 07 June), the A Bola newspaper reported that Sporting and Porto have both contacted Joao Pinto about a possible move.

Also, Charlton Athletic are reportedly interested. The team that also bought Martin Pringle from Benfica.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Sniper, I agree with you on JVP, again. If he would have gone abroad(England, Spain, Italy) 3 or 4 years ago his game would have only improved, and perhaps be on par with Figo's. He stayed in Portugal making the big bucks but his game instead of developing only deteriorated. I do hope he gets it back, but he's already 28. I think his best move is to go abroad, but of course if he wants to get back at Benfica he can join one of our rivals.

I do wish him the best, and contrary to what you may think I have enjoyed JVP at Benfica with the exception of the last two years.

As for the players criticism, they are like a labor union, they will always defend each other. Let's not forget that JVP and Nuno Gomes didn't get along until this year, and now Nuno is defending him.

------------------
Viva o Benfica!

B

·
0 Posts
A good player is a good player regardless of where he is or where he could have gone 3 or 4 yrs. ago!!!....I like JVP and want him on Sporting but to say that if he went abroad that his skills would have been better than Figo is #@%*ing nuts!!!! With all respect to JVP but he is a little punk compared to Figo at any level. JVP when was at his prime used to cause havoc to defenses and Figo completly destroys defenses not to mention that Figo is always in form whether in the CL league or in the Spanish league! What a pipe dream that is! You know if my Grandfather wasn't dead he'd be alive!!! Please!

[This message has been edited by Bulletproof (edited 08-06-2000).]

·
International
5,629 Posts
Bullet, JVP was better than Figo in the World Champion youth teams, and he was better than him up until 4 or 5 years ago. When Figo moved to Barca and started playing with the superstars that's when his game came alive. He was good at Sporting but nothing compared to what he is now. Good young players need an environment that allows them to grow, Portugal does not currently provide this environment. Spain and Italy do.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well said RedEagle,

However, amongst all this turmoil surounding the sacking of Joao Pinto, I have read facts to which I was oblivious to.

Apparently he had more clout than the managers, and that he was responsible for the overturning of Souness. He also was coined for attempting the same antics towards Heynecks. And now I am hearing that JVP and Nuno weren't getting along until this year.

If this is accurate, and JVP was no longer fitting into the "club culture" then a more professional and appropriate solution should have been investigated.

If JVP had been dealt accordingly, like all other top rated players, I wouldn't be so against the Benfica administration.

------------------
Author formerly known as Sniper!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts