Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Croatia hit by Tudor World Cup blow

Tuesday 7th May 2002

Juventus defender Igor Tudor has been ruled out of the World Cup after Croatia coach Mirko Jozic revealed that he requires surgery on an ankle injury aggravated in Juve's Scudetto-clinching win on Sunday.

Tudor will travel to Amsterdam for surgery on Wednesday and will require six weeks to recover. "I'm sorry that Tudor will have to have surgery," Jozic said.

Jozic believes Croatia's chances of qualifying from Group G, where his side face Italy, Ecuador and Mexico, will decrease considerably without Tudor.

"If we have to play without Tudor, we will be 20 per cent weaker," he said.

"If before I thought we had a better chance than Mexico and Ecuador, after this I can no longer say that."

Tudor was back in the side for the 2-0 win over Udinese after spending much of the second half of the season on the sidelines.

And Jozic was furious with the Italian club for selecting him to play, despite repeated requests to rest him.

"Juventus were not fair in this case," he said. "We asked them to release Tudor from his obligations to Juventus to let him fully recover from his injury and to prepare for the national team. They didn't do that."

Jozic has been in a running battle with the Juve medical staff for much of the season since Tudor first injured his ankle against Lecce on September 23. He returned quicker than expected to face Torino on October 14, but broke down again.

An appearance in the Champions' League against Arsenal at Highbury on December 4 ended when he asked to be substituted on 14 minutes.

He returned to the Juve side in March but not before clashing with coach Marcello Lippi after refusing to start a Champions' League game against Bayer Leverkusen because he believed he was still not fully fit.

"I'm not a coward," he said then. "It was not correct to ask me to play. I'm not someone who refuses responsibility, but it was not the right moment.

"I was recently injured for five months and I suffered a lot trying to recover. Lippi and I had agreed I would not be risked. I was meant to only play 15 minutes against Inter last week, but I came on after 20 minutes because of Lilian Thuram's injury.

"I came through that without problems, even if my ankle was not at its best, but it was impossible to play a whole match three days later. I risked another injury. I was too tired.

"I have never put Juventus after the Croatian national team, but I lived a nightmare for five months and I don't want to repeat it. The state of my ankle means I cannot play two matches in three days."

·
Banned
692 Posts
Juve

you know what...Juve doctors SUCK and I am extremely dissapointed with JUVE. I hope TUDOR leaves and that no Croatian ever plays for this club again. They did it to Boksic in '98 (played him when he was not ready thus aggrevating his injury), they did it to Tudor in 2002.

GO TO HELL JUVE.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Hajduk: I understand and symphatize with Croatian's frustration here, but you have to make a distinction between one injury and another.

Know this: Tudor himself elected for another type of recovery proces than an operation Months ago- against his doctors recommendations- because he wanted to be ready to participate at the WC.

After the bust up with Lippi reported (and Lippi's comment was definately unfair, but you'll also have to appreciate that Juventus had 4 defenders injured already before do or die clashes in serie A and CL), Tudor has been allowed to take his time, and TUDOR reported himself ready for action against Parma in the coppa when he came back. He played one half, came on as a sub in the next game, and only started the game on Sunday.
He was ready, as he himself identifyed.

Bad luck that the injury flares up again, but everyone face risks when playing games just before the WC.

Ciao.

·
Banned
692 Posts
last game...

yeah and when he asked to be subbed in the 60th minute of the game this past weekend he was snubbed by the bustard Lippi and was only substituted later (79th min. I think).

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Glen said:

Bad luck that the injury flares up again, but everyone face risks when playing games just before the WC.

Ciao.
thats pretty ignorant reply glen.. congrats!

·
Banned
692 Posts
spwolf...

don't mind Glen, he was one of those supporting Lippi for calling Tudor a "coward" because he didn't feel ready to play.

TO HELL WITH JUVE

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Re: spwolf...

BOban_2 said:
don't mind Glen, he was one of those supporting Lippi for calling Tudor a "coward" because he didn't feel ready to play.

ah, got it now ;-)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
NOT FAIR

Glen (my man) is trying to be nice.. is that how you think??

For Juve, Igor is one of the main player, and maybe he's a main player for the NT, and if he can't make it to the WC.. who could blame who??

No one !!:eek:

So, you better find another thread if you want to make Juve suck, cause it ain't gonna happen

ciao

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Juve/Lippi can be blamed, and we are blaming them... and yes, Juve obviously sux when it comes to this...

I am sure you guyz give rats azz about what we think, considering Juve just won championship but still

·
Banned
692 Posts
adel...

"who could blame who?"

Let's see:

1. We could blame the incompetent JUVE doctors who said that Tudor was ready when he wasn't as is now apparent

2. We could blame Lippi for calling Tudor a coward for not wanting to play when NOT ready. By doing this he probably let Tudor to maybe be less cautious this time.

3. We could doubly blame Lippi for not immediately taking out Tudor after Tudor requested a substitution in the 60th minute (Lippi waited until the 79th minute by which time Tudor probably reaggrevated his injury)

4. We could blame Juve fans like Glenn who agreed that Tudor should listen to Juve doctors and Lippi and that they know better than Tudor as to whether he is ready or not. I HAVE NOT HEARD ANYTHING FROM THESE PEOPLE SAYING THAT PERHAPS THEY WERE WRONG IN BLAMING TUDOR.

Should I go on? Do you like being proven wrong and being embarassed with CRYSTAL CLEAR FACTS.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Until I hear Tudor say that he didn't want to play in a match that he DID play, I don't think it's Juve's fault. This is not to say that it's Tudor's fault, either. But, this is football and in football there are risks that EVERYBODY takes on a daily basis. I'm sure if Tudor DID NOT want to play, then we'd be hearing about it right now. I'm sorry Tudor is not going to be in the World Cup because I was looking forward to seeing Croatia make a good run just like the last time. They are an exciting team to watch. It's EVERYBODY'S loss for Tudor to not be in the World Cup. Let's just hope that it's not as serious as they are saying it is.

P

·
0 Posts
Hey boban, why dont you get your stuffin croat doctors to look after him then? If it wasnt for Juve, we would be saying Tudor who? And I think you better pay a bit more respect to our coach, the 4 time campione d'Italia! Now we love Tudor at Juve but I think he was thinking of the world cup b4 his club, the club that made him the awesome player he is today, so instead of bagging our club, hail it because we've helped croatia bring up a world class defender!

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
peruk hit the nail on the head. you are forgetting that tudor was a nobody and was average before he joined juve.

if tudor didnt want to play, he just would have said NO!!

i couldnt imagine that Lippi and the others had a gun at his head forcing him to play.

remember, the players themselves make the decision in the end.

maybe tudor wanted to play and then when he realised that from making the wrong decision he would miss the WC, he decided to blame Lippi and the doctors.

in the end, it is Tudor's fault as well, not only Lippi and the docs!!

And yes, for Lippi and the doctors, Juve is more important than Croatia. all teams are like that.

·
Registered
983 Posts
CUG said:
peruk hit the nail on the head. you are forgetting that tudor was a nobody and was average before he joined juve.
You gotta be kidding right :tongue:

If he was average before he came to Juve they wouldnt have bothered with him. He has always been an exceptional talent and every croat knows that.

Of course credit should go to Juve for developing him but they should also thank him for picking Juve cause with the talent he has he could have chose any club.

Like u say he obviously would have had a say in wether to play or not.. but with Lippi's recent comments in the press and the way this saga has unfolded i just hope Tudor leaves Juve and takes his talent elsewhere :)

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
...sweet... he was nobody? well he was 19 or 20 when he joined... was he supposed to be some world wide star @ 19? defender? interesting...

nobody is saying that Juventus is not important... of course it is... but playing injured player, calling him a coward and then injuring him again... thats why people are pissed off, not because he simply got injured

Wonder what would you think if something like this happened to some important Italian NT player....

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
...and if Tudor was thinking WC before Juve, then he certainly wouldnt play would he? that argument would be valid, if he didnt get injured again

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Re: spwolf...

BOban_2 said:

TO HELL WITH JUVE
I specifically said in my post that Lippi's comment was UNFAIR, and that I'm sorry for you guys.

Still- Tudor is the one who made himself available for selection again, and there has been no news of him not wanting to play the last game of the season.

So- calm down, and get to terms with it.

Ciao.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
spwolf said:
Wonder what would you think if something like this happened to some important Italian NT player....
It did, we lost Vieri just before Euro2000 who was played too early after he recovered from an injury in a CL play-off game.Try to guess who Inter's coach was then? ;)

P

·
0 Posts
spwolf, at the end of the day, Tudor puts his hand up to play. The only player I think to ever be forced to play was Ronaldo in the 1998 WC final. These players obviously love what they do, and WILL DO ANYTHING to play, even though they are only 85-90% fit. You blame Lippi, but Tudor puts his boots on and runs on the field at his own accord. And if Tudor doesnt want to play for the club that will make him a fortune if he leaves, then good luck, thank you, and goodbye. As for his WC misfortune, it is a shame another Juventus player wont be able to show his talents on the world stage, very unlucky!

·
Banned
692 Posts
peruk

First of all I wanted to say that I DID respect Juve before this and that Juve WAS my favourite Italian team before this so don't you dare lecture me. Who are you? Some 10 year old

Next, I'll attempt to rebutt everything you said:

Hey boban, why dont you get your stuffin croat doctors to look after him then?

Because Tudor plays for Juve and usually team doctors look after the players. As for our stuffing doctors, well they are busy looking after superstars like Michael Schumacher.

If it wasnt for Juve, we would be saying Tudor who?

Tudor was an exceptional talent when he played in Hajduk. He was known in Croatia and everyone knew he would eventually be a superstar. It is only people outside Croatia who laughed at Tudor in his first season at Juve. Yes Juve gave him a chance but at the time when they bought him he had offers from OTHER teams. Oh and do you think that Juve would have won the scudetto without him and his goals this season?

And I think you better pay a bit more respect to our coach, the 4 time campione d'Italia!

Whatever. Lippi is a JERK.

Now we love Tudor at Juve but I think he was thinking of the world cup b4 his club

This was already answered. I can only say YEAH RIGHT.
the club that made him the awesome player he is today

Juve HELPED develop him. His hard work and talent made him who he is today. Even JUVE can't make an average player into a superstar. What a DUMB argument.

so instead of bagging our club, hail it because we've helped croatia bring up a world class defender!

As if Croatia didn't have any before Tudor or perhaps after him!!! I guess Bilic, Stimac, Simunic (just from the 90s) are nobodies.

spwolf, at the end of the day, Tudor puts his hand up to play.

How would you know? Where you in the locker room? Besides, even if he did, don't you think that by being called a coward earlier when he felt not ready he may have hesitated this time? Even this does not excuse the moron Lippi not taking him out in the 60th minute when Tudor requested a substitution (Lippi the idiot waited until the 79th minute)

The only player I think to ever be forced to play was Ronaldo in the 1998 WC final.

Boy you've been around all locker rooms and know exactly what is going on behind the scenes.

These players obviously love what they do, and WILL DO ANYTHING to play, even though they are only 85-90% fit.

I don't think any player in the world would risk not playing in the WC on purpose. Maybe if they were 85-90% fit they would. Tudor wasn't even close to 85%. Besides, there was a clear understanding between the Croatian Soccer Federation and Juve that they would not risk Tudor. Juve BROKE the agreement and can NO LONGER BE TRUSTED.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.