Xtratime Community banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
12,297 Posts
Good that you guys are seeing the positive in the game play but it's always like that with small teams. Losing even when playing good. Big teams win even when playing bad.

I was watching on a bad stream last night but didn't even think for once that we would win the game. Even the Piantek header, you would have bet he will miss.

Yes our game looks much better than with Giampy but we still are going down the table and with no hope in sight... Vs Napoli at most we can hope for a draw.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I also share the view that "playing good while losing is pointless". I mean what's the point of dropping points every week and being consoled with "our play has improved"?. I know the thinking is if the team is playing good football, results would come eventually, although that's not guaranteed. So yeah, taking the two extremes, I'd rather we play bad and win games.

·
Registered
24,062 Posts
Well since Pioli is here.

When GP were just wondering wtf is that formation.

Also, we spent a lot of time fighting over Suso.
Fighting over Suso has been before during and after MG and it will continue to be. It's just a fact.

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
As long as Suso is starting, we will be at odds. Nothing can stop us now....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts
Just a law of nature, like Suso drifting in to cross.

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts
There seems to be a consensus for now in media etc. after this game that 1) Bennacer has become a key player, and 2) Striker is our main problem.

I agree with both, but IMO it's a bit more than that; it's not only Piatek but we simply do not have enough attacking players who can score and perform consistently. It's been 3 years but it's still the case that with some rare exceptions the only one-on-ones we produce are the same damn Suso crosses, which everybody hates, and we all know Suso has clear limitations when it comes to performing well all season.

For one thing I personally would be playing Leao as winger (in any of the roles really) every game until he improves. For Hakan, Suso, Piatek, whatever, depending on form. Even if he sucks. We just need the directness. But unless the form of some of these players change, in January all efforts should go to get one in-form striker and likely one winger. And eventually we need to revamp the whole attack.

Reactions: abdulsabo5

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
The solution is right before our eyes. A certain karate kicking Swede . . .
No way....the world revolve around him.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I also share the view that "playing good while losing is pointless". I mean what's the point of dropping points every week and being consoled with "our play has improved"?. I know the thinking is if the team is playing good football, results would come eventually, although that's not guaranteed. So yeah, taking the two extremes, I'd rather we play bad and win games.
What the heck....it’s like putting the horse before the cannon.

I rather see the team playing with an identity but lost.
As least we know here to build the foundation upon.
At least we get to entertain.

Not headless chicken play with a fluke win.

We have a moment where everyone was at odds that the issue is the players(collectively) or the coach or the management.

Until we break this down, remove the problem piece by piece we can never move forward.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
What the heck....it’s like putting the horse before the cannon.

I rather see the team playing with an identity but lost.
As least we know here to build the foundation upon.
At least we get to entertain.

Not headless chicken play with a fluke win.

We have a moment where everyone was at odds that the issue is the players(collectively) or the coach or the management.

Until we break this down, remove the problem piece by piece we can never move forward.

If you read again, I said taking the "two extremes". Every fan wants his club to play beautiful and win. But in our precarious situation, I won't mind grinding out results. Right now, to hell with beautiful football. Give me points. I rather hear "what a boring game, but 3 points in the bag", than "we've certainly improved our play but sadly we lost again, hopefully next time".

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
There seems to be a consensus for now in media etc. after this game that 1) Bennacer has become a key player, and 2) Striker is our main problem.

I agree with both, but IMO it's a bit more than that; it's not only Piatek but we simply do not have enough attacking players who can score and perform consistently. It's been 3 years but it's still the case that with some rare exceptions the only one-on-ones we produce are the same damn Suso crosses, which everybody hates, and we all know Suso has clear limitations when it comes to performing well all season.

For one thing I personally would be playing Leao as winger (in any of the roles really) every game until he improves. For Hakan, Suso, Piatek, whatever, depending on form. Even if he sucks. We just need the directness. But unless the form of some of these players change, in January all efforts should go to get one in-form striker and likely one winger. And eventually we need to revamp the whole attack.
I agree 100%. That was why failing to get a good number 10, a fast creative trequartista who can create and score in the summer because of Suso ( see part of the reason I say we'll only be free when he leaves or benched ) is a major blunder. You are spot on on the Leao issue. We just have to play him consistently until he smooth out the edges in his game. If we endure playing Hakan, Kessie, Biglia, Suso every week despite underperforming, I see no reason why Leao can't enjoy same treatment. We just don't have players who can take risks, beat defenders, create and/or score on their own. All we have is give it to Suso or whoever is on the left, cross and pray it lands on the head of Piatek. C'mon!! It's dire, tedious, predictable and boring. Easy to defend against.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I agree 100%. That was why failing to get a good number 10, a fast creative trequartista who can create and score in the summer because of Suso ( see part of the reason I say we'll only be free when he leaves or benched ) is a major blunder. You are spot on on the Leao issue. We just have to play him consistently until he smooth out the edges in his game. If we endure playing Hakan, Kessie, Biglia, Suso every week despite underperforming, I see no reason why Leao can't enjoy same treatment. We just don't have players who can take risks, beat defenders, create and/or score on their own. All we have is give it to Suso or whoever is on the left, cross and pray it lands on the head of Piatek. C'mon!! It's dire, tedious, predictable and boring. Easy to defend against.
Now this is what I mean. Playing bad and not getting the result

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Of the 310 players to attempt 20+ dribbles, @IsmaelBennacer has a better dribble success rate (92.3%) than any other player in Europe's top five leagues this season.

Source: whoscored

61 - 73 of 73 Posts