Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, we are out of the champions league and unlikely to win the scudetto this year. But I think looking forward, there are some positives to focus on.

Transfers.

If I was the management, I would focus on bringing in 3 world class players. 1 Defender, 1 Attacking midfielder (or winger), and 1 forward.

The forward I have in mind is Rossi. Not sure about the defender just yet but I think Mexes will do. The attacking mid to replace Nedved will be key. Ribery or Diego would do just fine. But my fear is they will go for someone like Cassano or Deco which i think is a big mistake.

I think the attacking mid should be a wide player who can play on either flank......I think Camoranesi cannot be relied upon for a whole season and Marchionni I consider to be more of a squad or back up player - i don't think he is world class.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Just need to sort out the defense, and Juve will return to the great days of before Calciopoli.
Yeah. You would want to bring Moggi back too, wouldn't you. We Todd.

I don't know if it's just me, but Buffon's form has been in decline of late. You guys have a great youth oriented setup, but for a Nedved replacement you have to dig deep.

Who replaces him will make or break the setup, I think.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Yeah. You would want to bring Moggi back too, wouldn't you. We Todd.

I don't know if it's just me, but Buffon's form has been in decline of late. You guys have a great youth oriented setup, but for a Nedved replacement you have to dig deep.

Who replaces him will make or break the setup, I think.
Maybe it's just because Buffon had been injured for such a long period?

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think Buffon struggled a bit in the first few weeks after coming back from injury but recently I think he has been very solid. But perhaps Cesar is in better form at the moment.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I agree, Buffon will return to his best in time.

In a column in Tuttosport today, it was tated that the limitations of this Juve are th elimitations of its coach because Juve - player for player - was no inferior to Chelsea.

Ranieri has done a great job to make Juve so competitive so quickly, but I am unsure whether he is able to take Juve to the summit in Italy and Europe.

While a replacement for Nedved and a high quality partner for Chiellini are required, the most benefical change would be a new director of Juve's project. Prandelli, perhaps.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
play this for the remainder of the season

buffon
grygera legro chiellini molinaro
giovinco sissoko marchisio de ceglie
amuari del piero

all respect to nedved, camoranesi, zanetti...but you are no longer the future. let the young kids play, when they do they show so much potential to be great players for the club.

in the transfer season, target a RB, CB and a future replacement for Del Piero (he cant be here for another decade to carry us on). Possibly look at a LW, i think de ceglie needs more time, but giovinco is more than capable of starting as is marchisio.

players that come to mind..Miguel for RB (Valencia are in all sorts with $$$)) and splash out on a well established CB to help Chiellini.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
By the way, again, I was very impressed with Molinaro yesterday. He is not the best crosser in the world, but he has fantstic energy and hardly terrible in defence. He matched up well against a top class RB in Bosingwa over the 2 legs.

Anyway Juventus will need to build up slowly, maybe not even next year you will be CL contenders, but possibly the year after. As said maybe Juve are 3 or 4 World Class players away (and some experience for the young stars) to being a top team again.

·
Registered
46,769 Posts
Deano, I think you should start a Molinaro appreciation thread. :D

Honestly I don't like him and I would not be happy if he joined Sampdoria. Yes, he runs a lot and defends pretty well, but IMO a modern side back should have some technical skills.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
His technical skills are hardly terrible, 3 or 4 of his crosses created danger yesterday. Of course he has some crappy crosses but I cant name many full backs who hit a dangerous cross everytime, apart from the fake full-backs who never defend because they are really a winger (Daniel Alves for example). Molinaro would be very impressive at Samp as he was at Siena, because playing alongside less technical players (Cassano an exception) he even looks more like God.

·
Registered
46,769 Posts
His technical skills are hardly terrible, 3 or 4 of his crosses created danger yesterday. Of course he has some crappy crosses but I cant name many full backs who hit a dangerous cross everytime, apart from the fake full-backs who never defend because they are really a winger (Daniel Alves for example)
Zambrotta and Grosso are the kind of side back I refer to. Molinaro is in the league of the Zenoni bros for skills.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Of course Molinaro is not as good as Zambrotta or Grosso, but I do think as a reserve to Grosso he is not a terrible option. At least until someone else (Santon, Pisano) are ready.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
By the way, again, I was very impressed with Molinaro yesterday. He is not the best crosser in the world, but he has fantstic energy and hardly terrible in defence. He matched up well against a top class RB in Bosingwa over the 2 legs.
That is true. But part of the reason for that is also that Bosingwa is a really, really bad defender - defensively (in offense he is of course very, very capable). At least on the strength of what I've seen of him post-Euro. I haven't seen any serieA defender let a: Molinaro beat him one on one two out of three times, with apparent ease - and b: get absolutely humiliated by Giovinco every time.

Molinaro, in any case, has shown lots of improvement this season. There are really dodgy games still, but less and less of them. Personally I think he will be De Ceglie's sub pretty soon, but no matter if its the other way around, this is not a position I think is needed to address in the off-season.

A partner for Chiellini, a versatile, creative, scoring attacking midfielder who can play a wing position and a starting right back. Give us those three things and make them class, and we could win serieA next season.

In the near future, a striker has to come in to take out Trez and/or DP, but with Amauri there and Giovinco able to play the seconda when needed, I don't think it is that much of a priority. Ideally, Iaquinta is sold and someone like Rossi comes in, but I would rather address the other concerns first.

Guys like Legro, Mellberg, Grygera, Tiago, Zanetti, Poulsen (although I think he will be sold to get more cash for more needed players)... experienced, quality substitutes. We also have some exciting youngsters still that might start pushing the envelope soon.

We 'just' need a couple of quality starters for the positions we can really upgrade.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
btw im not a professional scout, but Ariaudo has played 3 games for us already, ive watched them and he looked comfortable and not out of his depth against relatively serious opposition. Maybe we can live another season with Legro/Mellberg as partners of Chiellini and reevaluate him in a year?

·
Registered
33,675 Posts
Just need to sort out the defense, and Juve will return to the great days of before Calciopoli.
Well, Juventus had one of the absolute best teams in the world. The current team is a long way from that level (which is now the level of ManU and Barca), with NEdved, Trez, Del Piero to varying degrees in decline.

The team is moving in the right direction though, obviously.

·
Registered
33,675 Posts
Ok, we are out of the champions league and unlikely to win the scudetto this year. But I think looking forward, there are some positives to focus on.

Transfers.

If I was the management, I would focus on bringing in 3 world class players. 1 Defender, 1 Attacking midfielder (or winger), and 1 forward.

The forward I have in mind is Rossi. Not sure about the defender just yet but I think Mexes will do. The attacking mid to replace Nedved will be key. Ribery or Diego would do just fine. But my fear is they will go for someone like Cassano or Deco which i think is a big mistake.

I think the attacking mid should be a wide player who can play on either flank......I think Camoranesi cannot be relied upon for a whole season and Marchionni I consider to be more of a squad or back up player - i don't think he is world class.
I find it highly unlikely that Mexes would move to Juve of all places.

·
Scudetto
23,465 Posts
Well, Juventus had one of the absolute best teams in the world. The current team is a long way from that level (which is now the level of ManU and Barca), with NEdved, Trez, Del Piero to varying degrees in decline.

The team is moving in the right direction though, obviously.
I feel that Giovinco will have his breakout in the next season, so Nedved can be forgotten.

Trezeguet, I don't think his age will matter that much. Besides, they have Amauri now also.

And Del Piero, well, every year he's supposed to be in decline, but he almost always does better than the previous.

In all other areas except defense, and you can compare this team to the pre-Calciopoli team.

Their central midfield options is quite amazing. But maybe they are lacking some more attacking flair there as well.

·
Registered
34,471 Posts
I think the big q is, do we need to splash out cash on Nedveds hair? Or will Giovinco just take that position over and we could spend that extra money we would have spent on for example Ribery, on other areas what are in need of a quality, aka CD, RB.

This IS a big issue imo, buying another creative player would mean Gio would probably be on the bench most of the time again next season. We already have seen what he can do, and even yesterday, the little time he had, against WC side, he managed to impress.

Another player i think should be getting more chances and has a good future ahead, is F Rossi. Still only 18, we have seen a bit of him. He could become a regular backup for that RW position.

The big issue with RW is though, who is gona be regular there? Or if we switch to 4-3-3, are we gona play with any natural winger anymore?

We cant rely on Camo anymore, thats pretty much a fact, and in a way, we have got used to with it, with Camo being so injury prone this season. The q is, can we rely on someone like Marchionni?

I think there are def some players we should get rid of this summer, like Brazzo for example. Sure, a good squad player bla bla, but what has he actually added to this team? In terms of quality. Beside, you could say, his actually limiting the younger generation player (like FRossi for example) to have a chance.

Secondly, the DM position. IMO we have too many dm-s. Whats the future of CZ? Should we rely on him, will Ranieri make him starter for next season if he is fit? What are the futures for Poulsen and Tiago? Sissoko and Marchisio are certain to stay, but i got to say Tiago has started to impress lately. And Poulsen is a decent squad player, not a bad option to have (coming from bench or smth), but this just makes you ask, was that money really wisely spent in the first place? Splashing out decent sum on a backup player.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts