1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serie A Week 23 - 29/2/04 (15.00)
Juventus - Ancona

Stadio Delle Alpi

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Juventus remain in the title chase by grinding out results and now welcome bottom of the table Ancona to the Delle Alpi.

The Bianconeri have notched up a series of uninspired but effective performances to take all the points off Bologna and Reggina in recent weeks, but always by a slender 1-0 scoreline. Perhaps of more concern than anything else is the fact that those goals were scored by a midfielder (Enzo Maresca) and defender (Mark Iuliano). Marco Di Vaio has stuttered after his early promise and has not scored in Serie A since November, while David Trezeguet is battling a muscular problem. There must be tactical changes due to Pavel Nedved¡¦s one-match ban, so Stephan Appiah steps in to a more solid midfield.

Ancona may not have a single win under their belts, but there has been an improvement under new Coach Giovanni Galeone. The 0-0 draw with Scudetto hopefuls Roma remains the highlight of their campaign, but it should not be forgotten that this side has already caused problems for Juve. It took a 3-2 scoreline to finally get the better of these minnows at the Stadio Del Conero back in Week 6 and the memory of that game could boost their confidence. Mario Jardel and Milan Rapajc are both in doubt due to muscular problems, as goals continue to be the main issue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Juventus (probable): Buffon; Pessotto, Ferrara, Iuliano, Birindelli; Camoranesi, Tacchinardi, Appiah, Maresca; Miccoli, Di Vaio

Ancona (probable): Marcon; Helguera, Bolic, Baggio, Milanese; Andersson, Maini, Sommese; Grabbi, Rapajc, Bucchi

Ref: To folllow

channel4

·
MVP
8,984 Posts
Before I talk about this *fairly* easy match which SHOULD be a walk in the park........

In addition to XT, I'm participating in 2 other football forums, and the voice of the Juve fans couldn't get any more depressing, it makes me sick. It wasn't even THAAAT BAD in 1998/99 when Juve finished 5th or 6th.....in what was considered to be Juve's worst season during the 1990s!

Anyways, well Juve are on back to back 1-0 victories so far in the 'road to recovery' since the disaster at the Olimpico :mad:

A CL setback away to Depor in the 4th year they meet, yet still could not manage a win in Galicia - credit to the home team who nearly scored many more!

Maresca fell flat on his back during the Bologna game, but got up and continued play for a bit until he was subbed out: He's out for a month and a bit with some sorta vertebrae problem. Just when things were looking good for him! Pavel Nedved got a yellow card vs. Bologna near the end so he'll be missing this match. Di Vaio has been disappointing ever since his explosive October-December form, while TrezeGol is still out hopefully to return within the next 1 or 2 games I think.

Here's MY probable lineup (a slight change from gazzetta's) :

----------------------------------1 Buffon

21 Thuram-----------2 Ferrara----------13 Iuliano-----------19 Zambrotta

18 Appiah----------8 Conte-----------3 Tacchinardi--------16 Camoranesi

---------------------9 Miccoli------------10 Del Piero

Subs:
12 Chimenti, 7 Pessotto, 15 Birindelli, 23 Legrottaglie, 20 Di Vaio, 45 Palladino, 32 Boudianski.

I doubt Appiah would play on the left, and he's been used on the right a few times in the past, so I have a feeling Lippi will put him there, with Camoranesi on the left wing.

The OTHER alternative would see Pessotto playing left wing in midfield and keeping Camoranesi on the right. But Pessotto was anything but effective in that position as he seldom touched a ball the last time we saw him play there: Inter-Juve in the coppa italia.

If it were up to yours truly :D - I'd bring Pessotto to wing back on the left and let Zambrotta have some fun against Ancona as an attacking left winger, leaving Camo to enjoy himself on the right.

Central midfield and defense options are very limited due to injuries or CRAP performing. Everyone is a crap performer except for Legrottaglie. I still want to classify him as underperformer, because I think he could get better. So no need to analyze what'll happen these positions...unfortunately we'll have to see more of Conte THANK GOD he misses the return leg vs. Depor!!! :rolleyes: lol.......

Gosh, listen to me, this is terrible. A former Bianconero Captain who's highly respected by fans and players, I never thought I'd hear myself wishing something like that. But when someone's days are over they're over. Gary McAllister, the ol' Scotsman won a treble with Liverpool at the age of 37 and he was one hell of a sweeper despite the age. Same story with Maldini who won a CL and Coppa Italia with AC Milan. Unfortunately Conte cannot and will not emulate such achievements, and IMO we should've got rid of him 2 years ago! The same applies to Ferrara and Pessotto! Montero-Iuliano make useful subs....but, my point being Juve need some new fresh young blood in both defense and midfield!!!

As for the Ancona side...not much to say, Rapaic, Jardel, Ganz have yet to discover any chemistry among each other, Grabbi is proving that not only is a an EPL flop, but a Serie A one as well plus the fact that he's plagued with injury :rolleyes:

They did hold Roma to a draw 2 weeks ago after some good defending, but I doubt they'll manage in the Delle Alpi.

My prediction:

JUVE 3-0 Ancona.......one of the goals being a PK.

Imagine Conte scores...I will change the title beneath Stinkfist to 100% JACKASS for a month. :pp

·
Registered
17,518 Posts
Carson35 said:

Juventus (probable): Buffon; Pessotto, Ferrara, Iuliano, Birindelli; Camoranesi, Tacchinardi, Appiah, Maresca; Miccoli, Di Vaio.
Maresca? What are those guys at channel4 smoking...?

·
Star Player
4,328 Posts
I see this match as a good opportunity to help Di Vaio remember how to score goals again.

Gazzetta has quoted Lippi saying will will see a tridente of Del Piero-Miccoli-Di Vaio.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Mikey, that's true. Di Vaio should try to improve.

Without Nedved, Maresca and Trezeguet we will lack creativity for sure. Actually I don't understand how you may play creative football having Appiah, Tacchinardi and Conte playing at once.

Do you know what I think about?... Olivera. He could be very useful right now...

Victory is a must.

FORZA JUVE!:cool: :strong:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
!bob said:
This had better be true.
yeah I've seen and read that around in many places as well. This is the line up I am seeing everywhere.

.......................................BUFFON

BIRRI.............FERRARA.................IULIANO..........ZAM

CAMO.........CONTE........................TACH.................APPIAH

....................................MICCOLI

......................DV....................................DP

Why are they not including Thuram? Thuram will feature.

FORZA JUVE!
:star: :star:

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Deka said:
yeah I've seen and read that around in many places as well. This is the line up I am seeing everywhere.

.......................................BUFFON

BIRRI.............FERRARA.................IULIANO..........ZAM

CAMO.........CONTE........................TACH.................APPIAH

....................................MICCOLI

......................DV....................................DP

Why are they not including Thuram? Thuram will feature.

FORZA JUVE!
:star: :star:
o Thuram because that would make it 13 players. We are allowed 12 though according to some people. :D

Anyways one of Conte, Tach or Appiah will not play.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
We are leading after the first half.
Great score. I hope we increase our ammounts of goals in the second half.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
I ain't watching the game but I can tell we're playing swell..;)

I'm chatting with my friend from Lyon.. he says Divaio just narrowly missed a chance.. and that Camo must start against Lazio, Milan. Yeah man, totally.

FORZA JUVE!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts