Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(please feel free to move this to the 'Lezama' thread', had a look but couldn't find it:

So, along with Bilbao Athletic trying to reach La Segunda, the Juvenil season is still ongoing.

Athletic Juvenil A were knocked out of the 'Champions League' (the regional group league winners play off in a one-leg knockout cup to determine the national champion) at the first hurdle by Sevilla. But in the Copa (2 or 3 top clubs from each region in this competition, this is the competition Athletic won in 2010 and 2nd in 2009) they have beaten Sporting 9-0 on aggregate and now have beaten Barca 5-0 in the first leg of the 1/4 finals! :wee:

http://www.lacanteradelezama.com/noticias/junio-2013/ida-1-4-copa-del-rey-juvenil-athletic-5-barcelona-0/

It was Barca that narrowly defeated Athletic in 2011 and 2012 so looks like revenge will finally be served! Most of this group got some big-game European experience in the NextGen tournament this year and it might be one of the factors that have made them strong contenders for the cup. Of course, juniors football can have very dramatic swings so it doesn't necessarily mean this team will go on to claim the trophy. But encouraging signs for development. Considering most of this year's Basconia team consists of last year's Juvenil side, if you add this years Juvenil's that looks like being quite a strong group for the next few years.

A disappointing development could be the new under-23 rules (http://www.lacanteradelezama.com/noticias/mayo-2013/nueva-normativa-sub-23-e-influencia-en-los-filiales/), I don't know if I understand it fully due to translation issues but it seems clubs will not be able to use B-team players as reserves for the first team in the same season and these players cannot be over 23, so this may affect the way teams like Bilbao Ath are operated and might mean the club will not be able to hang on to their current players long enough in that team to see them linking up with the promising younger players mentioned above. It will have to be up to Athletic or bust for them.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
This is a huge achievement, specially considering teams as Barcelona already sign stars from every corner of the world in these categories. The good thing about Lezama lately is that we are getting used to our Juvenil DH to compete for the title, not only in the basque group but also in the cup. Every single team in the last 3-4 years was full of potential first team players. With a good development in the latter stages (baskonia and above)...there is hope. :)

On the U-23 rule... I don't think it's that negative. Bilbao Athletic always competes with younger players than the rest of B teams (ie: this season only Albizua, Serantes and Goti are above 23) because its aim is to form players.

This is a bigger problem for B teams such as Levante, Villarreal, Málaga etc who are full of 24-28 years old players...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a huge achievement, specially considering teams as Barcelona already sign stars from every corner of the world in these categories. The good thing about Lezama lately is that we are getting used to our Juvenil DH to compete for the title, not only in the basque group but also in the cup. Every single team in the last 3-4 years was full of potential first team players. With a good development in the latter stages (baskonia and above)...there is hope. :)

On the U-23 rule... I don't think it's that negative. Bilbao Athletic always competes with younger players than the rest of B teams (ie: this season only Albizua, Serantes and Goti are above 23) because its aim is to form players.

This is a bigger problem for B teams such as Levante, Villarreal, Málaga etc who are full of 24-28 years old players...
Ah I see... well yeah that is stupid, as you say the aim of all B teams is to develop players for the A team so why do these clubs still have 'finished' players in the B team? I hadn't seen anyone at Bilbao Ath over 24/25, so I thought that was already an upper limit for all clubs.

Hopefully there won't be much difference for Athletic and the other clubs that run their systems properly, and some local small clubs can get the use of these older B Team players. I don't understand why Levante etc don't do the thing where they sell the player with a buy-back option if they improve at a late age. If they keep them in the B Team they are paying a lot of money for players they probably won't ever use.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
*With an exception to the goalkeepers, that can be at most 25.

I guess the age limit applies for the 1st day of the season, so players younger than 23 at the beginning can "pass" the age limit throughout the season.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
2-4 away win for Athletic against Atlético in the first leg of the semifinals. Game including several posts and lots of chances for the young lions. We have to take care of this generation.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Athletic 1-0 Atlético

The final will be against Real Madrid.

It would be great to win the cup, even more having outplayed Barcelona, Atlético and Madrid in our way. :)

·
Registered
947 Posts
It would be too great if Athletic wins this one.

Just take a look at this sad season... the women lost the league in the last match (didn't they also lose in the cup-final?)... Bilbao Athletic got kicked out and does not promote to Liga Segunda A... our first team... we shall be silent about that...

So... if our juvenil team wins this, it would be very nice for Athletic.
And like Iribar already stated out... we won against Barcelona AND Atlético! :D So we must kick out Real Madrid as well. ^^

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Good luck to the young lions today! :fero:

Let's see if Iñaki Williams celebrates his renewal and the signing of his brother with a hat-trick! :cool:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gutted!

Report and video here:

http://www.lacanteradelezama.com/noticias/junio-2013/crónica-final-copa-del-rey-juvenil-athletic-0-r-madrid-4/

The first goal was a deflection that Remiro almost kept out, the 2nd a fairly soft penalty that Remiro DID keep out but they scored the rebound, and the 3rd and 4th in the last 5 minutes as Athletic were pushing forward. So maybe a fair outcome but not a fair scoreline.

Report suggests the pups were maybe a bit nervous on the big day and didn't perform as well as they had in previous rounds. Sounds familiar...

On the other hand, these victories and a bad defeat at the end may be an important learning experience for this group.

I am a bit surprised that the eligible players for this group who had been promoted up to Basconia (Gorka Santamaria, Etxeberria, Seguin, Gil and Undabarrena) did not play any part in the final, but I suppose it is a good reward for the players who had been involved with Juv A all year, and also maybe good to keep the same group on the field for tactical reasons.

Oh well, in 2009 Athletic were finalists and won the cup in 2010! Same again please (although I don't think the 1996 group are as strong as 1995).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts