Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JUVENTUS, one of the giant clubs of world football, wants to play A-League champion Sydney FC after the World Cup finals.

The likely Serie A champion would bring all its big guns to Sydney for the one-off game before the start of next season's A-League in August.

With such stars as Alessandro Del Piero, Gianluca Zambrotta, David Trezeguet, Patrick Vieira, Pavel Nedved, Adrian Mutu, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Marcelo Zalayeta playing for Juve, Sydney would probably have to look at staging the game at Telstra Stadium.

The attraction of the multi-million-dollar team would be enormous.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18426549-23215,00.html

---------------------

I might go so I can abuse Vieira for trying to leave for five years. :lala:

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Is this a yearly tradition Khimik?

If this is going down, there's some big bucks in it for us for sure. Juve doesn't do these kind of things without good compensation. Still, is it really worth it? It would for certain disrupt our preseason, and with the WC and all, the players need everything but even more long distance traveling.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hasuni said:
Is this a yearly tradition Khimik?
It's the first time since 1999 that a European club has proposed to play a friendly here. It might turn into a yearly tradition. It won't surprise me if Inter start coming here as well, they have an academy program here.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Sir Leonardo said:
It's the first time since 1999 that a European club has proposed to play a friendly here. It might turn into a yearly tradition. It won't surprise me if Inter start coming here as well, they have an academy program here.
Thanks.

OT: which league is the most popular in Australia, EPL, Serie A or Primera? EPL I reckon? And which teams?

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd say Premier League followed by Serie A, probably because of greater exposure and the whole English thing. There's a lot of Italian migrants here though.

Most popular teams would probably be Liverpool, Manchester United, Celtic, Arsenal and Spurs from Britain. Newcastle have a pretty big following here. From Italy it'd definitely be Juventus - there's at least three state league clubs founded by Juventus fans. Milan, Inter, Roma and Napoli have big followings here too.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Sir Leonardo said:
I'd say Premier League followed by Serie A, probably because of greater exposure and the whole English thing. There's a lot of Italian migrants here though.

Most popular teams would probably be Liverpool, Manchester United, Celtic, Arsenal and Spurs from Britain. Newcastle have a pretty big following here. From Italy it'd definitely be Juventus - there's at least three state league clubs founded by Juventus fans. Milan, Inter, Roma and Napoli have big followings here too.
Thanks. Interesting to know. :)

Spurs bigger then Chelsea btw? :eek:

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hasuni said:
Spurs bigger then Chelsea btw? :eek:
Easily. Maybe not with the younger generations but a lot of it came during the 1980s. Spurs weren't bad back then - and plus, Spurs have more fans in London than Chelski by far. :thumbsup:

As far as I know OzSpurs is the biggest Australian supporters association.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jern Lizardhous said:
I hope Vieira chins you then for dissing one of the best players in our history. :pp ;)
Like I'm gonna be scared by a 6'4 tall black man. :stuckup: :tongue:

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
if they come here, im making the trip up to sydney regardless. kind of wish they played here as well...

I have never seen Juve play in the flesh...its my dream!

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
CUG said:
if they come here, im making the trip up to sydney regardless. kind of wish they played here as well...

I have never seen Juve play in the flesh...its my dream!
I'd easily swap a couple of games with the chance to live Down Under! :tongue:

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Steph! said:
I'd easily swap a couple of games with the chance to live Down Under! :tongue:
On the other hand, I would love the opportunity to travel to Europe and watch a couple of games.

Although without being bias and without having been anywhere else, Melbourne, Australia is the best place in the world to live. ;)

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Red Bed said:
Arguably the best player in Arsenal's recent history and after what he done for you and you talk like this.

:thmbdown:
The tongue was firmly in the cheek dummy.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Melbourne's weather is very unpredictable. We always say that we experience 4 seasons in 1 day, and this is no exaggeration. Overall though, we get a good summer and a good opportunity to enjoy the holidays down at the beach.

But it would be good if you came down to visit us Steph! and other XT'ers. Great place to live! ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts