Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Juventus have signed versatile midfielder Luciano Zauri from Atalanta in a swap deal that sees defender Marco Zanchi and midfielder Enzo Maresca moving in the opposite direction. Juve will retain joint-ownership of former West Brom star Maresca.

The only stumbling-block to the deal was whether Atalanta could afford the salaries of their two new recruits, but that bridge has been crossed.

"This was the only condition on the deal," explained Atalanta president Ivan Ruggeri. "We can't afford to put our club's budget into a critical state."

Initially Juve had wanted to give Michele Paramatti to Atalanta, but the defender refused to accept a cut in his salary.

Zauri prefers to play on the left, but can operate in any position in midfield or across the back-line. He grew up at Atalanta under the tutelage of Cesare Prandelli, who is now coach of Parma.

Born in 1978, he made his Serie A debut as a 19-year-old in Atalanta's 4-1 defeat to Roma. He moved on loan to Chievo, then in Serie B, in 1997-98, before returning to become an ever-present in Bergamo the following season.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
i don't think it's official...here is another article...

Juve zoom in on Zauri Friday 7 June, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Juventus are hours away from snatching Atalanta winger Luciano Zauri away from Inter and Roma.

The Bergamo-based club’s President Ivan Ruggeri confirmed the reported claims. “There are only a few details that need to be ironed out.”

According to reports the Bianconeri have offered £5m plus defender Marco Zanchi and half of Enzo Maresca’s contract.

Zauri has become of particular importance to the Turin side as Gianluca Pessotto will be out of action for at least another five months.

The left-back ruptured knee ligaments in an international friendly between Italy and Uruguay at the San Siro, an injury that forced him to miss out on the World Cup.

Inter had seemed closest to snatching Zauli from Atalanta, but Juventus transfer guru Luciano Moggi made a late winning swoop.

Juve are also tracking Cristiano Doni, but Atalanta President Ruggeri confirmed that the Azzurri star would not be sold at half-price.

“There are few firm bids at this time,” commented the patron, “and right now there is an 80 per cent chance Doni will stay with us.”

Roma and Liverpool are also said to be interested in the creative midfielder.

Meanwhile, Juventus defender Mark Iuliano moves ever closer to Milan according to recent reports.

Iuliano’s agent Zavaglia commented, “At this moment in time I cannot say with certainty that Mark will play for Juventus next season.”

channel4

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
i love the idea that Zauri could be a juve a player next season. I don't want Maresca to leave, i think he made it clear that he is going to be a future star for us.

If Juve could get both Doni and Zauri off atalanta, i think we have fixed our major problems in the side.

Iuliano leaving for Milan could mean that Thuram might be staying. I couldnt see us lose Thuram and Iuliano, unless we are certain of getting Cannavaro or Nesta.

I hope we dont sell Iuliano without getting a player from Milan. Maybe Donato or Contra would be great. Two players which we would need if Davids or Thuram leave.

anywayz, its not a done deal yet........lets just hope Maresca stays at juve!

·
Star Player
4,328 Posts
It's better for Enzo to leave, a player like him deserves to be playing regularly. Afterall, he'd only spend even more time on the bench while we play no-hopers like Baicco.

Damn you Parramatti, just f**k off and leave. :fero:

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Zanchi, half of Maresca and 7 million euros. What a rip off! :eek:

Juve was screwed in a royal way. Zauri is a good player but no way he is worth so much.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
It is nothing but rumour.
We should not pay such a big attention on this "news". Zauri is a good player, but no way we should give Maresca for him.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
I hope you are right Nyuka........losing Maresca would really hurt me, as i think he is a good young player.

Zanchi can go........and they can have the likes of Birindelli, Parramatti as well.;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts