Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EXCLUSIVE Juve-Parma set for Libya showdown

Thursday 4th July 2002

The Italian Super Cup final could be held outside of Italy for the first time after the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) gave permission for Serie A champions Juventus to face Coppa Italia holders Parma in the June 11 stadium in Tripoli.

The decision has come about largely because of negotiations by Assadi Gadaffi, the son of the Libyan premier Muammar Gadaffi.

Lafico, the foreign investment arm of the Libyan government, already own a five per cent stake in Juventus, and are planning a similar investment in Spanish side Rayo Vallecano. Assadi Gadaffi has been invited to visit Rayo's facilities for further negotiations.

The two sides will also be discussing an exchange programme that could benefit the club and the Libyan game.

If an agreement is reached, Libyan teams will be given the chance to use the training facilities and coaches at Rayo Vallecano, while the Spanish club would play friendly matches in Libya.

Meanwhile, the Libya national team, which is now managed by the Italian coach Franco Scoglio, in August, will be undergo a training camp in Italy as part of its preparations for the forthcoming African Nations Cup preliminary round clashes with Congo.

onefootball :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Am i the only one who thinks this stinks? what on earth is a game between the champs of Italy and the cup winners doing taking place in Libya? Whats the connection? So what if Gadaffi's son has shares in Juve, this is not a friendly match which is just for juventus, this is a match thats the curtain raiser for the season for the whole of Italy, so how does it concern Libya. Its not like therestrouble between both countries and its a peace offering, i am at a loss to understand

·
Registered
112 Posts
I thought this was a joke, it turned out to be TRUE :dazed:

Anyway, Libya is not that far away from Italy, and this is not the first time the Super Cup is played outside of Italy. In 1993, the Super Cup final took place in Washington D.C. between AC Milan and Torino.

I think they decided that because the Super Cup doesn't usually pull up much audience in Italy and is regarded as a mere friendly match even if 2 big teams clashed together at the very start of the season !!

·
Registered
74 Posts
stephañho said:

Are you fond of History? :D
Nope hated it at school, but i am sure clever clogs like you will try to explain to me what it has to do with a football match which should really take place in Italy and Italy only

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Nevermind. This was nothing but a miserable attempt of humour from my side but you didn't catch the spun.

Ciao.

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,488 Posts
They could play in in Tinbaktu, for all they care...As long as there are 65,000 butts in the Stadia... $$$ talks ...BS walks !!

:dielaugh:

·
Registered
13,659 Posts
Nyuka said:
Well, begining season with victory is very lovely:)
So, FORZA JUVE!:D
Yeah, you can dream but deep down you all know that Parma will win.

BTW, Kadaffi? :eek: Nice friends you have there, Juventus. Well, flies are always attracted to sh!t I guess...

This stinks. Typical Juve...

·
Registered
450 Posts
VERDI said:

Yeah, you can dream but deep down you all know that Parma will win.

BTW, Kadaffi? :eek: Nice friends you have there, Juventus. Well, flies are always attracted to sh!t I guess...

This stinks. Typical Juve...
LOL :D :D :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts