Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time Luis Figo takes a penalty kick. He does a little bit of a suspect stutterstep. He does it on all his PK's. And i'm wondering is it really alowed? Or is he just allowed because he's Luis Figo?:angel:

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I think you're allowed to stutterstep so long as you don't actually fake the kick.

I remember Romario used to do this all the time. Sometimes he would literally hop and skip all the way to the ball.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Luis Figo can do it

Because he is the king. Do you have any doubt?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
This step makes the kick TOO difficult to the keeper to save and I think it's not allowed. The ref should order to retake them but he just don't because the player's Luis Figo:devil:.... That's my opinion.

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Get real, bailemos, a lot of players do that.
I remember Toni Polster, the last really good striker of the Austrian NT, doing it all the time. It always looked like he´d fall asleep before reaching the ball. :D

It´s simply one of those things you have no problem with as long as it´s one of your favs who does it. :)

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
"Stutterstep"

MxPx said:
It´s simply one of those things you have no problem with as long as it´s one of your favs who does it. :)
Exactly. This "stutterstep" (funny term) is meant to fool the goalie into revealing which side he'll jump to. It's not exactly legal, but almost all refs allow it, as technically it's not illegal either. As MAD Fan said, it would be illegal if the penalty taker actually stopped or faked the kick; "pacing" his run in order to fool the goalie is tolerated. Even though it drives the opposition's supporters out of their minds. :rolleyes:

A 'keeper only has two chances of catching a penalty: Either the kicker "gives away" the side he'll shoot at (usually by the angle of the kicker's hips) or the goalie simply chooses one side and jumps, hard and fast, and trying to cover as much area as possible, by spreading his arms and legs as much as he can.

The best goalies study the opposition's usual penalty takers, because usually penalty takers shoot mostly on the same side, the same way, which would be the side he's more confortable and confident with. So the goalie knows that a specific penalty taker shoots on the left 95% of the time; that gives the goalkeeper a little extra information that may be decisive. :)

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Garinncha gave a fairly compiling explanation, however I think it is actually legal - not that it's not illegal, but it is legal:) You can make a studderstep, as long as you shoot right after it. You can't do it, and than suddenly stop and turn away, or whatever... at least that's what I heard.

and I agree about the studying of penalties. I remember Mendieta was IMO one of the worst ever penalty takers I had ever seen, and I couldn't stand watching him at Euro2000 cause every time I knew it was just a matter of the goalie he was shooting at, knowing anything about his style.
He would always fake it to one side, and than shoot lightly as sh*t to the other. It worked magic at Euro2000, but 3 PK's later in La Liga he was deprived of his role as PK man by Cuper, because everyone was stopping him with no trouble:embarass: The absolute worst penalty kick taker I have ever seen, and what's most ironic about it, is that 90% of the people you'd ask in the world right now, would say they believe he's pretty good, or even great at PK's:eek: My, my, was I relieved after every PK he took for Spain - it was almost shock for me:howler:

And another horrid PK taker is actually our Raul - the guy has no clue what to do with the ball, and when he does he usually goes missing. I hate to say it, but he's also one of the worst PK takers I've ever seen - each time he scored back in the previous years you had the overwhelming sense of luck about it:eek: Not a clue what to do, and no calmness about it. Just didn't feel confident about him scoring.

I don't consider Figo a great PK taker, but it has to be said he's been reliable so far. Really solid, and no problems. But I don't trust him as much as I trust Rivaldo scoring when he steps up:embarass:

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Why not Zidane:angel: as the PK taker no.1 of Real Madrid? And why don't u mention him, labas? He's absolutely calm about it and I've never seen him miss. He's probably the no.2 right now?

Well, I find Figo and Zidane both 90% reliable why not use them both.

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The last PK ZZ took was in Juve, and he missed it...

labas, I have to dissagree with you on Mendieta and Raul... Especially Mendieta:irritate:

I for one see him as one of the best or perhaps even the best at them:) He always seems to wrong foot the keepers (think barthez, and kahn) Every PK he takes seems to go in... or so from what i've seen... And he always knows where he's going to put it.. Usually in the bottom corners..... And always with raw power.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
figo is better PK taker than any others in real madrid. including zizou :) but concerning the best PK taker i'll choose giuseppe signori and romario :) :)

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
tonjaw said:
but concerning the best PK taker i'll choose giuseppe signori and romario :) :)
Smart fella! :D Signori has the most accurate feet I ever seen. He's great for penalties, corners, freekicks and his game in the run of play is also just as good. These are some of the things that have made him my favourite player EVER. :proud:

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,478 Posts
Get it over with...Its legal and that's it !!! :glasses:

Also one musnt forget....a Penalty is a SURE goal...if its not scored its the strikers fault, not that the goalkkeper is the saviour....A well placed penalty kick WILL always be away from the goalkeepers reach...ALWAYS !!!!

:cool:

·
Registered
547 Posts
John Aldridge

Does anybody remember John Aldridge's penalty taking style???

He did a complete dummy before striking the ball so as to make the keeper move - he then struck the ball the other way...
It was cool but I think they stopped him doing it after a while.

·
Star Player
4,429 Posts
Butragueño did it aswell.

twice against Denmark :( :)

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
anyone remember how ronald koeman took a PK?
:eek: :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts