• Someone Else.

Votes: 5 10.9%
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This comes off the back of Dennis and Thierry's comments in the Standard:

Dennis Bergkamp revealed today he wants the end of his Arsenal career to coincide with the club's last season at Highbury.

The Dutch striker, signed in the summer of 1995 for £7.5million from Inter Milan, will be out of contract this summer and admitted that the decision about his future rests with manager Arsene Wenger.

Bergkamp, who will be 36 in May, scored the only goal of the game against Newcastle yesterday. It kept alive Arsenal's flickering hopes of retaining their title and showed he has lost none of his sharpness or appetite.

He said: "As for the future, I feel good. It would be nice to have another year, to experience the last year at Highbury. It has been a big part of my life. But we will see. Everything will be sorted out at the end of the season.

"My decision would be to have another year. But I don't know what will happen. Sometimes it is difficult to know what the boss and the club are thinking.

"I am in my 10th year at the club. As for a testimonial, we are thinking about it. But I am still focusing on my playing career and we will have to see what happens. A testimonial, as I see it, is the last game of your career."

But striker Thierry Henry is in no doubt that he wants Bergkamp to stay.

The Frenchman said: "He fancies playing another year I also fancy him playing for another year. Without saying anything bad about anyone, when Dennis plays, I only concentrate on going behind the defence. When he is not there, I have to drop back.

"I have played with a lot of great players and he is amazing. He always has a great desire when he is on the pitch and you can never complain about him.

"At his age, to be doing what he is doing, it is unbelievable. I don't know if I will still be playing at his age. He is a great guy."

Bergkamp said: "It was so important to get a result against Newcastle. As for the gap between us and Chelsea, you never know. It will be difficult but we try not to look at the table.

"We need to start playing like we used to.

"We can't do anything about Chelsea. We have lost too many points and that is our own fault."

--------

The part I have bolded is the most important part of this article. It makes you realise how much we miss Dennis when he's not playing, so who will successfully replace Dennis Bergkamp? Reyes just isn't a Bergkamp type player so it would be unfair to expect him to fill DB10's boots. I see Reyes taking Pires' spot on the left side of midfield eventually. I don't know about van Persie and Bentley, but both have a great opportunity to fill that role in the long run.

Or will it be someone else?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
i think arsenal should bring someone who have some experince and he is good with head balls , because henry plays good out side the penelty area and he make alot of assest, although i hate him alot :/

·
Registered
197 Posts
hmm do u really need some1 who can header a ball to partner henry...imo, with the style Wenger uses, u dont really need some1 to header a ball. since i reckon u have Vieira and Campball to the heading during corners, which is really enough...

so my decision to partner henry would be Reyes.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
khimik said:
The part I have bolded is the most important part of this article. It makes you realise how much we miss Dennis when he's not playing, so who will successfully replace Dennis Bergkamp? Reyes just isn't a Bergkamp type player so it would be unfair to expect him to fill DB10's boots. I see Reyes taking Pires' spot on the left side of midfield eventually. I don't know about van Persie and Bentley, but both have a great opportunity to fill that role in the long run.
A very proudful quote from you khimik, I'm deeply so touched... :stuckup: :proud: :stuckup:

FORZA DENNIS BERGKAMP !! :star: :happy:

Yes, it's kinda unfair to expect Reyes or Van Persie to be exactly like DB10. But both are great talents, so I am sure they can contribute in their own way. :)

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
most likely to be VANP, since many are already comparing him to bergkamp, and when henry is through im sure lupoli will step in.

·
Registered
465 Posts
From the current crop - Reyes.

Personally, i'd love to see Trezeguet partnering Henry - they would complement each other perfectly. The best finisher in the world along with the best centre forward in the world. Fat chance of it happening though...

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
van persie is pretty good, i dont like reyes that much.

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
Reyes not really the same type of player as Bergy but he's better than Van Persie...so at least at the moment I go with the spaniard...

Out of the crop in the poll Bentley's the one that reminds me most of Bergy...or should I say "a less good one"? ;) But he got potential...
Given the time he might bloom out to something big.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
arsenals future is 4-5-1 with cesc as the attacking midfielder

·
Registered
983 Posts
Spirit-OF-SRT said:
From the current crop - Reyes.

Personally, i'd love to see Trezeguet partnering Henry - they would complement each other perfectly. The best finisher in the world along with the best centre forward in the world. Fat chance of it happening though...
Yes, and how well that partnership has worked out for France.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
465 Posts
collectedsoul said:
Yes, and how well that partnership has worked out for France.... :rolleyes:
Didnt stop them winning a Euro did it.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He scores in practically every game he plays in the reserves :) very promising. Deano sometimes watches our reserves at Underhill and he's had nothing but rave reviews for Il Lupi. :)

He'll be a star.

·
Registered
865 Posts
In the long run it should be RvP.... But right now it's preferable to play JReyes, simply because he's got a little more experience than Persie. After seeing RvP play 4 or 5 times this year, I noticed that he's got the vision(dutch heritage... :p), but his execution lets him down...... Should be top class in coming 2 years though.....

1 - 20 of 55 Posts