Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Listen the fact of the matter is that Real are in big trouble financially so it seems that the spending this summer will be minimal. I hope that Del Bosque realises that he has a potentially great team and maybe all we need one player.
If you had the choice to buy one player who would it be?
Would you strengthen the defence with Cannavaro, Thuram or Campbell or get a playmaker such as ZZ.
Other options include Petit, Hasslebaank (that would be funny) or the entire Valenvcia team (Claudio, Killy G, Gerad).
I think that we need a defender and would love Thuram but he has just signed a new long contract so I'd go all out for Campbell.

------------------
WITH HOPE IN MY HEART

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know it's sad to answer your own posts but I fotgot to mention the G.K. Do we keep the faith with Casillas or try and get Toldo who seems certain to leave Fio at the end of the year. I think that we should stick with the young man until he shows us he is not up to it.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Just the problem of timing, it ain't sad. :)
If we just can pick one, of course we need a defender badly. Everyone knew that we can't get Thuram, no need to argue anymore. Campbell and Cannavaro are good for us. I would likt ot see Cannavaro better.
I keep my old statement: no hope to get Zidane. So a playmarker is a good idea, just dunno who we can have...
Seems Inter really wanna end Recoba's contract,(they want Kewell, strange) I just heard a Uruguayan said Recoba plays better in attack midfielder than in forward. And he played this role in national team. I kind of believe him cuz he makes dangerous passing sometimes. I caught a odd idea by that, can he be a playmarker? if he can, why don't we try him?
I think we don't need a goalie. Casillas is great...seems solid too though he is young. :)

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about Baia as the goalie. I know that he is a Barce player but he's a good keeper (better than Hesp anyway) and Porto have no chance of keeping him if we offer a bit.

D

·
0 Posts
We have a good keeper coming next season. His name is Cesar and is currently on loan to Valldolid where he has spent his career and is currently captain. He's 29 and was bought by Real along with Julio Cesar from Valladolid last summer. He was loaned, though as Illgner was not sold. I suppose he'll be our number one for the next couple of years and then Casillas takes over for the next decade.

If we only bought one player...hmmm...no we're not gonna buy just one player! :)

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
I sometimes get disguested with these posts here at hte forum. How mnay times have I said: We have a new goalie, it is Cesar from Valladolid! Thank you dwMB for at least remembering :) So that position is solved. Now the defender or playmaker - everyone knows my opinion on the natter, I put up a long post in the "does our attack have no depth?" column. there I explained why i think we need a playmaker more, but I also stated it has to be a world class player, like Zidane. If we can't get him, or someone of his calibre, then we have to go for a good, solid dfender. Here I agree with real player, that Canavarro suits our style better, and let Campbell waste himself at Manchester :)

About Recoba: he is a support striker, that means he is not a forward, but not a midfielder also. What it actually means is he plays exactly the same our guy does: RAUL GONZALEZ BLANCO. We already have the best support striker in the world, so we shouldn't waste money for another great one(but not as great, and he's older too :()! So forget about Alvaro, he is kewl, but del bosque knows we do not need him...

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Recoba plays up front for Inter as the supporting role is occupied by a certain Seedorf. I agree that his best position is there but so is Macca's and he's doing a good job elsewhere.
The reason I'd have Campbell is that he is bigger and stronger than Cannavaro. He would help Casillas more by clearing difficult high balls (I'm not convinced by Casillas's handling).

D

·
0 Posts
For the record we have these players available to s without even spending a cent either because they're on loan or they're from the youth team:

Edwin Congo, 24, ST/AM

Colombian international whom Labas says says is very good; only needs a chance. Another past comment on him was that he plays like George Weah. As you can see, I'm only basing my descriptions on what's been said about him cause I've never really seen him play He's currently on loan to Valladolid.

Rodrigo Fabri, 23, ST/AM

Left-footed Brazilian attacking midfielder who plays as striker at Valladolid, where he is on loan. Has scored 7 goals this season and made several, too. He is known to be quite temperemental and has been booked and sent off a bunch of times. He has said this is the last year he's going on loan. He either plays for Real Madrid or is sold. According to Don Balon, he'll probably included in the Real squad next season.

Cesar, 29, GK

Veteran Spanish goalkeeper whose good form the last couple of years has convinced Real Madrid to buy him last summer. As I have said, he's on loan to Valladolid for a season but will surely be back to be our No.1 next year. Has so far conceded 38 goals in 32 matches.

Manuel Canabal, 25, ST

Rayo Vallecano's leading scorer this season with 9 goals is actually Real Madrid property. Last season he was on loan to Alaves where he scored 5 goals in 30 matches. During the preseason, he was Steve McManaman's closest buddy in the squad until he was loaned to our other cross-city rivals.

Samuel Eto'o, 20, ST/RM

He was part of the Real squad during the first half of the season but was subsequently loaned to Mallorca to make non-EU space for Perica Ognjenovic. Has scored 3 goals including 2 against Barca and is currently making quite a stir in the island club. Along with Karembeu and Geremi, is Nicolas Anelka's best friend in the team.

'Tote', ST

Last year, he was at Real Madrid B and made some appearances for the first team. This season he is on loan to Benfica where I don't know what he's up to. I have read that Benfica will forego their option to buy him and he will probably be back in the B team next season if not loaned or sold.

Esteban Cambiasso, 19, DM

Talented Argentine touted to be the next Redondo. He was in Real's youth team at the age of 16, but finding it hard to adapt, he was loaned back to Argentina where he is now a vital part of Independiente's midfield. Highly-spoken of by Argentine press, he is sure to replace his idol, in a few years.

Federico Magallanes, 24, PM/ST

Left-footed Uruguayan playmaker who captained Uruguay's squad during their successful Copa America campaign. Last year, he was on loan to Racing Santander where he failed to impress, and now he's nowhere to be seen. I've know idea where he is playing. I've asked around. They say he's on loan somewhere but definitely not in Spain.

Cesar Prates, 24, RB

Brazilian right-back on loan to Sporting Lisbon. According to Ze da Fiel, he's crap, had a few caps under Zagallo's term, and was good riddance for his former team Corinthians. By chance, I caught the the last thirty minutes of Sporting's weekend game against Guimaraes (I didn't even know we had coverage of the Portuguese League!). He's bulkier and heftier than Roberto Carlos but they basically do the same thing, except Prates plays on the right and is nowhere near Roberto Carlos talent. He takes Sporting's free kicks and forced a save during the match I watched.

Jose Antonio Meca, 21, ST/LW

From the youth team. Made several appearances for the first team and scored a goal and made one.

David Aganzo, 19, ST

Said to be the new Raul. I don't really agree but nonetheless remember his name. Made a few appearnces for the first team this season including a start against Rosenborg. Member of the Spanish U-21 side that overwhelmed the competition in the Nigeria World Youth Championships.

We have many others but I've barely any info on them.

Anyway, to answer the topic's question, it's obvious that from the players we have available for free, what we really need to spend money on is a top central defender. I think Campbell is way too expensive for a central defender. Cannavaro is not going anywhere. I really am clueless as to who. Perhaps we should dig someone up from the Dutch League where Stam and Hyppia were recently discovered.

[This message has been edited by dwMB (edited 18-04-2000).]

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Interesting view. I rate Casillas very highly and would rather see Canavarro, but I think we both agree Campbell would do us good. Still if I were to but someone from the Premier League, I'd go for Desailly.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That would be a good option.
Desailly is old though so is there any point.
I think that we need a recognised guy as if we fail to buy well then it could be the difference between a great year next year and a poor one.
I like Casillas but it seems that his handlind is a bit sus. Luckily not many crosses have been reigned in on him but it seems he is best in a one on one situation. He has fast reflexes. I think we should stick with the kid unless he messes up - he could be the new Zubizaretta.

------------------
WITH HOPE IN MY HEART

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
A very interesting report dwMB! :) :) :) Only from what i know Federico Maggalanes is no longer Real Madrid property. I heard last year when he played quite well for Racing Santander, that he was bought from Real along with Victor Sanhcez. Now that last name is very well known, he is a first team regular at Deportivo, but Maggelanes has seemed to die down. I'm almost sure he is no longer a part of the squad, but then again I may be wrong. Watch out for Meca! He had some great games in our team this year and you treated him rather unenthusiastically :) Anyway we have a massive squad, but the problem is who is worth the Real madrid shirt. I stay by my comment about Congo, he is really talented, but I don't know wether Rodrigo is worth it. Although scoring 7 goals means he's not bad. I hope he proves himself. About "Tote". Wasn't he moved to the A team one time last year by Toshack. He had a rather bleak performance and I really haven't heard of him since.

One thing you forgot is Manuel Tena. he was loaned to Valladolid along with Rodrigo, Congo and Cesar. I don't know if he actually got any playing time during this year, but he like Tote played a game in our A team last year.

L

·
0 Posts
I think that Mario Yepes should be bought in the summer from River Plate. He's Colombian therefore a compatriot for Congo and he's very strong and fast. He would also not cost as much as players such as the over-rated Campbell etc.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But also is non EU. Did you see the list of players that are on the brink of Real's side? Can we tone down the buying of non EU.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Once again the list of Non EU's is being posted:

Savio
Balic
Congo
Rodrigo
Geremi
Ognjenovic
Eto'o
Solano(if we get him)
Cambiasso

Players, who will have the spanih passport by next year:
Roberto Carlos
Julio Cesar Santos
Rolando Zarate(italian)

So you have 9 players without a EU passport, but of those only three or four can be counted as serious first team contenders, the rest will sit it out sometimes. IMO there is then place for another player nn EU, but someone good, a quality guy, bot just crap, to be loaned. Who then?

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd rather we actually had a look at some of the fringe non EU players like Congo, Eto'o (I love him for what he did to Barce)and Ognjenovic.
I don't feel the need for Solano and Ger may be off so this could clear spaces up for such guys.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't mind Geremi but I don't see how he would fit in the team. If he's not in the team then he is off.
I, personally would like him to replace Salgado but I don't think anyone would agree with that.

------------------
WITH HOPE IN MY HEART

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
He should rotate with Macca. Its that simple. I mean Geremi was absolutley outstanding in the games vs BBarcelona to name one.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't see the point in rotating any other players than the strikers. It will affect the fheir form and Macca showed that he needs a few games before he plays well.
What do you think of Salgado? I miss Panucci.

M

·
0 Posts
Getting Desailly would be suicidal. Remember my words if Real do get him. All macca needs is confidence. If the team plays consistently good and he's guaranteed a place in starting 11 then he could be worth of 3 Zidans. Pool_till_I_die knows what I'm talking about, I just can't wait till everybody else sees that. C'mon Real, be consistent next season. No Campo and Karanka, but something more substantial.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts