Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to quote journalist Robert Slagt in the Dutch newspaper this morning:

Saturday is the start of the Euro2000. I do not expect anything, I even think we're going to be out very soon. Why ? Simple, this Dutch squad misses the force, tactical strength, the ability to score and s trong defense. Let me give you some examples. The force: Clarence SEEDORF. Brings his fellow teammates mostly in trouble but always demands "respect". Still, is in the starting eleven. In my opinion a very weak spot. Tactical strength : Frank RIJKAARD. A coach that doesn't know what he wants. One match he changes the puppets (players), the other time he changes the whole system. In the end, we will still see the same players as on the WC in France. Nice guy, great soccerplayer once. But misses the "coaching-eye" and technical view. Ability to score: Patrick KLUIVERT. The BBC "Match of The Day" stated it very firmly. Patrick Kluivert misses 6 chances before scoring one goal. He can said to be in form, but the Dutch will surely miss Ruud van Nistelrooij. Defence: Bert Konterman. The Dutch are better off with an injured Winston Bogarde than with a fit Konterman. It's the difference between appearance and absolutely NO appearance. To have Boudewijn Zenden functioning as are new left-back is another scary thing. De DE Boer Brothers have had their best. Ronald misses speed and Frank starts to look more and more like Epi Drost : too many little mistakes. No, in these days there's only one man we can put all our hope and trust in. Someone who's special influence already got Holland through other big tournaments. His name ? DENNIS BERGKAMP.....

The Miss

·
XCC Winner 2001
4,440 Posts
Dennis is da man!

I couldnt believe alot of people saying he should not be selected, that would be just suicide!

I still think de Boertjes are good, ok, Frank is kinda losing it, but he will be there, when you need him, just like 2 years ago, against Brazil ( damn, I hate those replays of that shootout! )

Seedorf, well, I also think he sux in national team.

Van Nistelrooij, please! He proved nothing in national team so far.

1 Dennis bier..... :)

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
I agree. Over the years only Dennis has been irreplacable and still is. Now he is more of a support-striker + playmaker, but still amazing. Unfortunately everything about Kluivert was true. I think van Nistelrooy will be a key loss if Hasselbaink isn't.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Dennis has his moments. He wasn't very good at some friendlies, but his form has returned just at the right moment. Dennis, Edgar, Phillip and Jaap (met een snoekduik het winnende doelpunt scorend in de finale tegen Duitsland: 2-1 :)) are the men Oranje will have to rely on.

I

·
0 Posts
I think that journalist too being too harsh...a prophet of doom. We have our problems but we have some strengths other countries can only dream of. I think expectations are a touch too high...not that I think we cannot win it...we can but too much pressure is being put on the team. The Kluivert issue...yes...we could do with a Vieri or Batistuta....we would score at least 5 every game if we had them...but Kluivert is a great striker in his own right.
Dennis...he has within him more ability than anyone on show this summer...but can he show it...esp when it matters...I hope so...he will have to if we are going to win it.

D

·
0 Posts
Bergkamp and Davids are Holland's most influential players. Bergkamp has been a great provider with Arsenal last season, now at just the right time he does it in the national team too. Bergkamp's passes will come, but Kluivert needs to convert every single one into a goal, not miss the first 5 or 6. I'm not sure if Van Nistelrooij's absence will make a very very big difference.
He would certainly have been sub again during Euro 2000, and despite having numerous chances when coming on, he's scored few goals, with such little experience he would have had before Euro 2000, I doubt he would suddenly have been among the top-scorers. Like Hasselbaink 2 years ago. He played nicely in the warm-up before the tournament, and scored a couple of goals, but was a big flop against Belgium, and apart from a brief apearrance against Mexico, he didn't get anymore game time.
Dennis Bergkamp was invisible against Brazil, a piece of brilliance would possibly have seen us in the final, let's hope he makes his presence felt in every game Holland plays during Euro 2000.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Davids is the most dependable player right now.
Of course Bergkamp is a must starter.
"Hope" Kluivert can do it, still doubtful...
And how about Overmas? He is in good form at the end of season. But now seems to slip down a little bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts