Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 540 Posts

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here we are, as Italy travel to Berne for the first game of the tournament. FORZA ITALIA.

My team for this match would be this:

Buffon; Zambrotta, Cannavaro, Materazzi, Grosso; Gattuso, Pirlo, De Rossi; Camoranesi, Toni, Di Natale

I am actually not too nervous at this point, I actually dont expect much, we are coming to this tournament with many of our top players not in very good form, so it would be something special to win this. However, lets hope for a good start. A draw is not bad, a win is terrific.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I cant answer for Deano but the reason why I would start De Rossi ahead of Aquilani is because De Rossi is simply a much better player. Our best overall midfielder, and much stronger defensively than Aquilani and around the same passing wise IMO, he is also more composed, much better tactically, and better on the ball

Plus, even though the midfield did well, it was against Belgium who don't pose much of a threat

·
Registered
33,708 Posts
Buffon; Zambrotta, Cannavaro, Barzagli, Grosso; Gattuso, Pirlo, De Rossi; Camoranesi, Toni, Di Natale

The only one I'm the least unsure of is Gattuso.

No f***ing way Matrix should start against those speedy Dutch.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Yeah, why even play this match because Italy is so much better. :D

Overclass is a little bit crazy :pp

You guys have a great attack, and it won't be easy for any team to shut you guys out so even if we score early we will still be in danger of conceding. The good thing is, your defense isn't all that good so hopefully we can outscore you :D

·
Registered
17,580 Posts
Buffon; Zambrotta, Cannavaro, Barzagli, Grosso; Gattuso, Pirlo, De Rossi; Camoranesi, Toni, Di Natale

The only one I'm the least unsure of is Gattuso.

No f***ing way Matrix should start against those speedy Dutch.
Barzagli isn't a bullet either. I think we could use Materazzi's superior talent. It's hard to judge from one friendly though. Decision will be made from practices.

I echo your doubts about Gattuso. Will we see the Roma deep mid (deep mid = DDR + Aquilani, no Perrotta) + Pirlo?

DDR Aquilani
Pirlo (f. r.)

The difference with this and

Aquilani Gattuso
Pirlo (f. r.)

is Gattuso's superior mobility over DDR, which is maybe the reason Gattuso was prefered over DDR. Aquilani and Pirlo are weak physically and maybe Donadoni preferred Gattuso for his strength combined with his mobility/stamina.

·
Pepe the Beast
4,493 Posts
If we score first it will be very boring as we will probably bunker. However if they score first this could be a classic.

All I know is I can't wait and I hope for both teams to get through this group.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Overclass is a little bit crazy :pp

You guys have a great attack, and it won't be easy for any team to shut you guys out so even if we score early we will still be in danger of conceding. The good thing is, your defense isn't all that good so hopefully we can outscore you :D

Well, that's true... our defense is not that impressive.
Therefore we will not rely on that and try as much to score.

And of course, being realistic... you guys will be the favorites to win.

But it won't be a very easy win, we still want our EURO 2000 revenge. :D

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
So no one thinks that Chiellini should be starting? In terms of form and ability he should definitely be picked over Barzagli, Materazzi only has experience over him.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
gamberini ....the one mistake donadoni made in his selection..i still dont see how barzagli is better then him in ANY way

·
Registered
688 Posts
I don’t think we should be predicting scores :) we are notoriously slow starters and against a team as unpredictable as the Dutch it is hard to call. Someone big is going out of this group, i just hope its not us, but we have big time players who know what it is to play on this stage, so complacency wont come into it, but i tell you what i am looking forward to it, and if we are to go out in the early stages i hope we take the French with us :)

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
i think we will get some kind of a result against holland..lose vs romania and then lose 2-1 vs france

:)

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
this kind of romania team is just the kind that would **** us up...we odnt suit there playing style one bit

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Plus we will under-estimate them. I hope Romania get a decent result v France so that we do not do this. Anyway I think the first game will be a draw, but lets see... as I said, Im not too bothered this year for some reason, maybe I wont say this on June 7th, I dont know... if we win I will be just as happy as the WC, but if we lose I am calm.

1 - 20 of 540 Posts